Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

To San Fransisco and back

Old 05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To San Fransisco and back

So this last weekend I had an opportunity to see a friend in SF as well as getting a sneak peak at the new Indy movie at the same time. I will post pics of that luncheon, not of my car though.

Anyway I was considering the route that I would take from LA to get there. Checked Google maps and saw this highway about halfway up the 5 that crossed the mountains. The 152. This pics show a pretty windy bit of road and it reduced the trip by 2 miles although adding 12 minutes, yeah a tragedy I know.

Anyway i head out Saturday morning and things are going well no traffic and it's just smooth. About 30 minutes or so from the exit I run into a Cabrio and we follow each other to the 152, where we both take the same exit. Then the winding began. Truth be told its more of a sweeping road, but after 3 hours of driving it's a nice change of pace. There is also quite a bit of a hill climb.

On the east bound side a parade of Model T's and other various classics were putting along on the shoulder. this begins the quick decent onto the 101. Where the roads straighten out and into the city i go by way of Cupertino.

Overall it was a great drive both ways on that road and if you want a quick bit of real twisty, don't turn into the 101, stay North for a stretch, that was a fun find on my south bound trip when i took the 152 west exit instead of the East exit.

On a more positive note my mileage hit 42mpg average on that trip.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so with the trip now come the pictures. Like I said, no MINI pics are involved, but enjoy set pieces and props from the movie Indy and the space men from mars. I should also point out the Arc of the Covenant shown in the picture is the original from Indy and the lost arc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Valthun/IndyLunch

Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr Jones!!!!!

I drive up to SF Bay area about 2-3 times a week from LA. I'm very familiar with 152. It's a fun drive, just hate getting caught there for 30mins behind someone trying to make a left turn on the weekdays!!