Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Honda space-saver spare

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 12:09 AM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have searched but I can't find the thread I am looking for.

I thought I read here or over at Mini2 that the Honda space saver spare will fit on the MCS. I drive in remote places sometimes and I worry about being out there in the hinterlands and getting a blowout that cannot be driven on with the run flats.

Questions:
1. Does the Honda spare fit the MCS

2. What about the run flats and a severe tire failure

3. Maybe I should give up on driving in remote places?

Thanks for the help

Old 05-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
David,

Here's a list of the Honda products that had or have the same bolt pattern and hub center diameter as the MINI (4x100, 56.1mm):

Acura Integra - (early 4 bolt) '86+
Honda Accord - '82-'89
Honda Civic - '80-'02
Honda CRX - '82-'93
Honda Prelude - '82-'91

Spares from any of those will likely fit, but a test fit to check brake clearances and such would be prudent. Also be certain to get the appropriate lug bolts with the steel spare, as they are likely different than those for the MINI alloys. I haven't tried any of these, so do your homework and proceed at your own risk.

Cheers,

James

Old 05-11-2003, 09:50 AM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Would not the MC spare fit onto the MCS? My dealer seemed to think that it would but I dont recall the conversation exactly. He did also say that it is something that you could just buy since it is a part with its own part number.

hope that helps

Old 05-11-2003, 02:52 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Thanks for the responses and the information. I will check out both the Honda spares and the (why didn't I think of it.....) Cooper spare. One of the alternative will surely work!

Old 05-11-2003, 04:57 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
>>Questions:
>>1. Does the Honda spare fit the MCS
>>
>>2. What about the run flats and a severe tire failure
>>
>>3. Maybe I should give up on driving in remote places?
>>
>>Thanks for the help

I just wanted to add a couple of questions.

Do you get a LOT of blowouts?

Will one spare be enough?

Old 05-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I travel with my work, I go between Austin Tx and Houston about once a month and I go between Austin and San Angelo about once a month. I do a travel check before I leave. I check the tires, oil, gas, washer fluid, --- you know the drill! I feel confident when I leave and I'll handle a flat tire if it happens. In the 3 years I've been traveling I have never had a flat tire. I don't keep bad tires on my car and I have slow leaks fixed asap.

Ok my point, you may be spending money on some Honda spare tire that you'll never need. Unless you are planning on going off road and tearing up your tires, I'd keep that money and use it for the one and only time you get a flat!

Old 05-11-2003, 09:02 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austin,

Agreed the chances are slim, but there are some pretty remote places between Austin and Houston that I really wouldn't want to be stuck with a flat......

-Rob (also in Austin)

Old 05-11-2003, 09:40 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
I am an architect and work lots of constrction sites so my '95 Explorer has had quite a few flats, but only one blow-out on the road. I am not speaking about around town, but rather on the long driving vacations that I like to take.

I am thinking of doing the national park loop that starts in Las Vegas through the canyon lnads of Utah, down to northern New Mexico, back through Arizona and the Grand Canyon and back to Vegas. There are some long, remote stretches on that loop and lots of desert driving. Can't use a cell phone and if you hit something big, a can of fix-a-flat isn't going to do it. Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but I have never had run-flats on any car. the whole thing seems to defy the logic of redundant systems and such. I'm still trying to figure out why they gave us a jack?

I love to drive my Mini on the open road and plan to do a lot of it. I just want to make sure that we get back home.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:51 AM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but I have never had run-flats on any car. the whole thing seems to defy the logic of redundant systems and such.

IMO You are being overly paranoid.
I can understand a lot of flats on a truck that spends a lot of time on construction sites with all the loose nails laying around. But, as you say your MINI will be on the open road. Even the trip that you describe is not so far between towns that a run flat will not get you to some help.

BTW As long as I can remember (almost 60 years) I can't remember a single flat that I (or my parents) had to stop and fix on the road. I have usually found a flat tire in the morning after it has sat all night. In addition, I have never had a blowout. Maybe all of this is simply good luck but I don't think that flats and/or blowouts are very common with well maintained tires.

Enjoy your trips! Take a pump along for a feeling of "security", you can go a long way on a flat that you repeatedly pump back up (ask any bicyclist).

Old 05-12-2003, 08:07 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
I think it's good to at least think about different scenarios, depending on where you drive.
I just went on a 6000 mile cross country trip in my spare-less MCS, and had no problems (toc-toc-toc, knock on wood).
I always keep an inflator pump in the trunk, and a fix kit - so far only the kit that allows you to fix holes with a punch and a wick, have not gone for the goop yet.
Between the runflats and the tools, I feel comfortable going just about anywhere.
In addition, your MINI comes with 24 hr roadside assistance, and after that runs out I would definitely get AAA or some other roadside plan.
However, I went across West Texas late at night on a small road (starting from Roswell, NM down to Ft. Stockton, TX, and was wondering what would happen if I had a complete, non-fixable tire failur: I would have been stuck: I was out of cell range, and there was absolutely no traffic on the road, none, an nothing nearby, no gas stations, nada. Eventually - during the day - someone would have come by to call for help, but this reminded me once again that in addition to tool kits, depending on where you go and when, other gear is very important to have in your car: water, some food, possibly warm clothing or at least a blanket or small sleeping bag, a flashlight, and a warning triangle or light. In addition, file a 'flight plan' with friends / family' so someone knows when to expect you and what your route is.
Some time ago a freind of mine was driving a subaru from Alaska to Washington across Canada and had a tire blowout over the weekend. They put on the space saver spare and fried the differential in the process, because the space saver has a smaller diameter that does not go well with the suby AWD and diff (why subaru insists on using a sapce saver in some cars bcs of this problem is a mystery to me).
So, a space saver also limits the distance you can drive, maybe not as much as runflats. On runflats, if you carry an inflator, you can exceed the 80 mile distance limit depending on how much you can keep it inflated - if it's a slo leak keep stopping and reinflatinga nd you can go much longer.
So, repair tools, other proper gear, a roadside assistance plan and cell phone will be all you need in a lot of places. If you want safety beyond that you will have to get a roof rack and place two full size spares on there.

Old 05-12-2003, 08:14 AM
8ball
6th Gear
... this brings up a good point ! if you get a flat on a front tyre, move the rear to the front and put the space-saver on the back - they used to tell you that, but as far as the differential is concerned, it is the only way to go - you want both drive shafts turning at the same speed most of the time ...