Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What would you want for the perfect brake upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:32 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you want for the perfect brake upgrade.

I have the chance to work a brake design for the mini cooper from the ground up. Rotor type, and Size. Brake Bias, etc. What would you like to see in a brake upgrade.

Let me know, and I will decide on the final specs.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:58 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
I'd like to see an optimum sized crossed-drilled and slotted rotor for use in a 16" wheel. If you are developing the rotor from the ground up it would be cool to see the slotted portion create some type of design...like the word "MINI"...or branded logo or something. I'll get bigger brakes for stopping power, but which brakes I get will probably be based--as superficial as it is--on the aesthetics of the rotor and caliper.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:32 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Are talking about modifying the software as well? I thought the EBD code controlled brake bias.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:58 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
There's a number of good kits on the market. From a business standpoint, I'd try to fill a niche that's not currently taken, unless you feel that you provide either higher quality or lower price (or both) than the current lineup.

Personally, I would like to see something with blank rotors... none of this slotted or drilled hype. I also wouldn't consider purchasing anything with Wilwood calipers.

Something that didn't require 17's might be nice. A quality kit that fit under 15's would as well, but the market for that would be extremely limited.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to see the biggest brake kit for the front and rear that will clear both the O.E. 16's and 15x7.5 SSR's. I took measurements on both of these at one time and the SSR's had more room than the O.E. 16's so if you are thinking more along the line of fiting to the 17" O.E. wheels then I'd still like them to work with the 15x7.5 SSR's.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
discodan
5th Gear
i'd like to see a kit that i could use with my aftermarket rims my S-lites and my 15" Holies (winter rims). a kit with more stopping power than stock without getting too ridiculous. slotted 2 piece rotors would be cool but not necessary. an optional matched rear kit would be cool too.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Kyle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
Personally, I would like to see something with blank rotors... none of this slotted or drilled hype. I also wouldn't consider purchasing anything with Wilwood calipers.

Something that didn't require 17's might be nice. A quality kit that fit under 15's would as well, but the market for that would be extremely limited.
My thoughts exactly. This slotted and drilled business is getting ridiculous, and something that would fit under 15s would be great. I think most importantly would be a rear kit as well seeing as how the brake bias is generally always too much on the fronts and adding more clamping power to only the front just makes it worse.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:05 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm.

Much of what you are asking for is already out there. Guess you aren't looking hard enough.

I did a spread sheet on this platform and provided a list of the kits out now for the MINI. There were about 12+ of them if I recall. And one for every preference.

There are singles, twins, fours, sixes, and even ten pots.
There are 11-13" rotors at least and about four sizes in between.
There are widths from .75 to 1.25 (or more) to choose from.
There are kits from $800 to $3000.
There are some that take bias into account, some that do not.
There are in colors, some not.
There are some with holes, slots, both, neither.
There are some with zoomy mill work.
There are floating rotors, and fixed rotors.
There are two piece and one piece rotors.
There are zinc plated kits, some not.
There are radial mount kits and tab mount kits.
There are kits for 15s and kits for 17s.
There are kits that clear stock wheel, kits that don't.

Ok, you're probably tiring of this by now. But I have the facts to back it up too. And details on most of them pro and con.

As for one brand being better than another; bunk. First off this is not a difficult car to work. The dynamics of the car pose no real threat or challenge to those in the brake kit industry. There are pros and cons to all the choices you have now. And there always will be.

The anwer to your question (and not one I'm taking issue with at all) is that in every case the real answer will be "a kit to fit my requirements". And that my friend is choice. Covered very well by what's on the market now.

The other comment will be the one you'll soon gloss over: "massive floating rotors, big pads and giant calipers. Fitting the stock 16" wheel and costing much less than what is on the market now, maybe sub $100" Sadly it doesn't work that way. For every plus there is a minus. Period. Don't care who's name is on it. Show it to me and I'll point out its down side.

It's like buying tires folks, there is no simple answer or one size fits all application.

And as for the comment of no WW parts; that's fine, but be sure you compare apple to apples when making that statement as many of the products soundly trounce the competition in many ways.

* I am in no way discouraging a new product. From where I sit, the more the better. Just do some market research on what is out there now.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:16 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Had to add a couple more thoughts as this is a very interesting thread.

The comment for a drilled and slotted rotor or one with MINI in it is cool. But beware; there are those who will laugh at that! So what? It's what you want.

The comment that there are many kits out now that fit 17s and not 15s...well there's not much you can do about that. But there are alternatives too.

No more slots? Oh my. Now that makes one a rebel! lol That's cool, nobody really 'needs' the slots but few folks don't 'want' them when it comes down to it!

My point? That there are so many different things that ONE person wants in a product like this that even in five posts you see them 180* apart!

I recently spent time on an 'alternative' too. The plan was for a $450 kit. And you know what? It turned out to be a bust. I re looked at the idea of a caliper only kit to the stock rotor. Not going to happen in my book. The reason is both fit, clearance, value and quality in the final product.

All of those issues will be dealt with on any new product. And let's not forget that any business doing this is in it for a profit.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Are talking about modifying the software as well? I thought the EBD code controlled brake bias.
Brake Bias can be controlled by altering the ration of brake piston size between the front and rear. Most likely, we would make the car a bit more rear biased, because the mini really uses the front a bit too much.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:30 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
Hmmm.

Much of what you are asking for is already out there. Guess you aren't looking hard enough.

I did a spread sheet on this platform and provided a list of the kits out now for the MINI. There were about 12+ of them if I recall. And one for every preference.

There are singles, twins, fours, sixes, and even ten pots.
There are 11-13" rotors at least and about four sizes in between.
There are widths from .75 to 1.25 (or more) to choose from.
There are kits from $800 to $3000.
There are some that take bias into account, some that do not.
There are in colors, some not.
There are some with holes, slots, both, neither.
There are some with zoomy mill work.
There are floating rotors, and fixed rotors.
There are two piece and one piece rotors.
There are zinc plated kits, some not.
There are radial mount kits and tab mount kits.
There are kits for 15s and kits for 17s.
There are kits that clear stock wheel, kits that don't.

Ok, you're probably tiring of this by now. But I have the facts to back it up too. And details on most of them pro and con.

As for one brand being better than another; bunk. First off this is not a difficult car to work. The dynamics of the car pose no real threat or challenge to those in the brake kit industry. There are pros and cons to all the choices you have now. And there always will be.

The anwer to your question (and not one I'm taking issue with at all) is that in every case the real answer will be "a kit to fit my requirements". And that my friend is choice. Covered very well by what's on the market now.

The other comment will be the one you'll soon gloss over: "massive floating rotors, big pads and giant calipers. Fitting the stock 16" wheel and costing much less than what is on the market now, maybe sub $100" Sadly it doesn't work that way. For every plus there is a minus. Period. Don't care who's name is on it. Show it to me and I'll point out its down side.

It's like buying tires folks, there is no simple answer or one size fits all application.

And as for the comment of no WW parts; that's fine, but be sure you compare apple to apples when making that statement as many of the products soundly trounce the competition in many ways.

* I am in no way discouraging a new product. From where I sit, the more the better. Just do some market research on what is out there now.
Thanks for the info, but I am aware of it. I just want to see what most people want, as I think there are portions of the market that are untapped. That is why talking to customers before doing development, helps me focus on what they want.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:44 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPilo
Brake Bias can be controlled by altering the ration of brake piston size between the front and rear. Most likely, we would make the car a bit more rear biased, because the mini really uses the front a bit too much.
I find it easier to shift bias via pad compound. Yes, most street car owners aren't going to do this. Then again, street car owners shouldn't be spending thousands of dollars on brakes when one decent set of pads would do a better job.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I" want a hydraulic hand brake with Willwood rear calipers. The e-brake can be a separate push valve.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:11 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by MiniPilo
So then EBD does not sense effective brake force, but just assumes a certain amount and then reacts to weight changes?

Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
I want brakes that will work with 15 inch SSR Comp wheels (in 6.5 inch width). And something that will improve on stock stopping distances, for mostly street, but some autocross and track days. Rotors front and rear, with matching calipers -- good looking ones. And lighter than the stock set up too is a must. I'm probably dreaming, but ceramic would be ideal, if it meets the above criteria.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
kmickey
3rd Gear
How about brake ducting to cool off those big boys!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:21 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
I want a kit that...

...fits most 16" wheels
...has blank or slotted rotors
...has monoblock calipers
...has floating rotors
...has a wide variety of pad choices

What would it cost?

Old 02-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What about just caliper upgrades for those of us who want them to fit under 15s? There is a company in england offering that. I would love to just upgrade my calipers and then fit any of the brand slotted rotors available.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:32 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Brake Cooling

Air ducting for additional brake cooling now that's winner of an idea. I don't that exists on any Mini set up I hav ever seen.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MGear
Air ducting for additional brake cooling now that's winner of an idea. I don't that exists on any Mini set up I hav ever seen.
I agree. This is something I would buy.

Like these from Turner!

Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Thanks for the info everyone. I will see what I can do to accomidate your needs

Old 02-23-2005, 05:43 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
OK. let me describe my dream brake system:
two-piece 4-pot caliper (forged aluminum, not cast) (or reinforced aluminum monoblock, but 2-piece preferred)
commonly available pads
300-310mm floating, vented, solid-plate rotor (assume this is largest rotor that will fit 16" wheels, although bigger is always better-as long as it fits most 16's)
something that won't brake the bank. I think a fair price would be in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 ('cause you get what you pay for-most of the time)

now all of this may already be out there, but those are the specs that I would certainly drool over.