Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire wear after track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:13 PM
uberchris
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire wear after track day

After my last HPDE at Gateway Motorsports Park, the tires on the front look very worn on the outside. I was careful to dial in the pressures so the tires only rolled over to the tips of the arrows, but I feel like the wear is very uneven. There is even a small blister on the outside of one tire with a tiny bit of cord showing.

These are RE71Rs on a dead-stock r53 with new bushings/ball joints and recent alignment.
  1. Is there anything I can do to even out the tire wear on the front (that won't bump me from SCCA street class)?
  2. Is it dangerous to use the blistered tire if I put it on the rear?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Yes, you cannot use a damaged tire for any kind of driving. Any blisters, cords or sidewall damage is dangerous for a blowout. That is not a small blister. It doesn't take much for damage to increase rapidly as the integrity of the tire is compromised.

Track driving and driving school can be hard on tires especially with a stock MINI that lacks the necessary negative camber for performance driving.

The OEM alignment has about -0.5 degrees in front of camber and for any performance driving you need closer to -3 degrees to make use of the tire. You'll never get good wear in front because the whole tire cannot be used with OEM camber settings. Camber is not adjustable without lowering the suspension or adding front camber plates.

You mentioned using tire pressures to allow rollover to the arrows, this is not the correct way to determine tire pressures. When the tires are still hot come off the track and immediately use a tire pyrometer probe type to check temperatures on the inner, middle and outer treads of each tire. You want the temperatures to be as equal as possible but with a lack of camber you won't be able to use pressure enough to compensate. This will mean that one or more portions of the tires will get excessive wear and heat resulting in accelerated wear.

I once had a set of identical race tires on MINI oem wheels and put two on the fronts of my MCS with full race suspension and two on the fronts of a stock base cooper. 15 minute lapping track session not very aggressive. Checked both sets of tires after two sessions and though both MINIs driven normally (not too aggressively) wear on the base MINI's front tires was 100% more than the other set on race alignment. Pressures were about the same and both were in the same track session.

The following users liked this post:
uberchris (04-28-2018)