Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

205/45/17 to 215/45/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:08 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
205/45/17 to 215/45/17

Okay so I I know this has been a subject of debate over the years but I thought that I would share some feedback. When I bought my 2009 JCW mini a month ago the selling dealer had installed a new set of tires on the car and as can be imagined it was of the cheapest grade one could find. The vehicle had a set of 2015/45/15 Bravuris 3HM tires. So during my drive back from Austin to Dallas I noticed that these tires were mediocre at best in terms of handling. Take off turning right or left you could feel them break loose of traction on moderate input at the gas. So this past week I took advantage of a set of Michelin PSS that they had on clearance in the 215/45/17 size and installed them yesterday. Wow what a remarkable difference. Smoother ride, better handling and even balanced better than the other set that was on the car. I Couldn't ask for a better set of tires at $120.50 per tire ( this includes a $70 Michelin Rebate).

Old 03-30-2018, 07:29 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I've been running 215/45R17 tires on my MINIs for years. Love the slightly beefier look it gives the car

Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I quite literally JUST got home from having 215/45-17 tires installed to my Clubman S. Rides smoother, slightly less feel through the steering, fills the wheel wells better...

I did the same when I had my 2011 Miata. That car came stock also with 205/45-17 tires.

You could get back some of the handling and feel with slightly wider wheels - go 7.5 instead of 7.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
For the OP-

The difference you feel is mostly related to the change to a tire that is excellent and can keep up with the MINI no matter which year or model.

Barum Bravuris 3HM is an Ultra High Performance All Season tire sold by Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct. It's not for best handling or performance, mainly street use and longer treadlife in three season weather for a moderate price (not really budget). It's an OK tire for a family sedan but not a good match for the MINI.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport sets the mark for Max Summer tires with excellent street manners and handling with very good comfort and ride quality in wet or dry. Price is higher and treadlife less but those are the tradeoffs for a tire well suited for the MINI. Not meant for colder weather.

Yes, 205/45-17 to 215/45-17 is a factor but mostly related to the various tires that come in the sizes, not all tires come in both sizes. 205/45-17 is fine for OEM MINI 17x7" wheels and is not a reason to be concerned either for or against due to size alone.

215/45-17 is taller than OEM so for lowered suspension it may offer less clearance but it's still workable. There is a better selection of tires in many tire classes that will fit this size and it works well with 17x7" rims. True the sidewall is a little taller than 205/45 but only a little, makes much more difference to have a better tire than just size alone.

Bottomline, the MINI is a car that will show off good tires and will suffer when given mediocre tires. So it's your choice to enjoy or not but there are some decent tires in the budget ranges so just shop carefully, tirerack has many good reviews to look over.

For 17x7" wheels both these mentioned sizes are fine for street use. Realize that 215/45-17 is a wider and taller tire but when mounted on the OEM rim won't be that much wider for better appearance. Handling and performance has more to do with the tire you select than size or brand alone.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:26 PM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
For the OP-

The difference you feel is mostly related to the change to a tire that is excellent and can keep up with the MINI no matter which year or model.

Barum Bravuris 3HM is an Ultra High Performance All Season tire sold by Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct. It's not for best handling or performance, mainly street use and longer treadlife in three season weather for a moderate price (not really budget). It's an OK tire for a family sedan but not a good match for the MINI.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport sets the mark for Max Summer tires with excellent street manners and handling with very good comfort and ride quality in wet or dry. Price is higher and treadlife less but those are the tradeoffs for a tire well suited for the MINI. Not meant for colder weather.

Yes, 205/45-17 to 215/45-17 is a factor but mostly related to the various tires that come in the sizes, not all tires come in both sizes. 205/45-17 is fine for OEM MINI 17x7" wheels and is not a reason to be concerned either for or against due to size alone.

215/45-17 is taller than OEM so for lowered suspension it may offer less clearance but it's still workable. There is a better selection of tires in many tire classes that will fit this size and it works well with 17x7" rims. True the sidewall is a little taller than 205/45 but only a little, makes much more difference to have a better tire than just size alone.

Bottomline, the MINI is a car that will show off good tires and will suffer when given mediocre tires. So it's your choice to enjoy or not but there are some decent tires in the budget ranges so just shop carefully, tirerack has many good reviews to look over.

For 17x7" wheels both these mentioned sizes are fine for street use. Realize that 215/45-17 is a wider and taller tire but when mounted on the OEM rim won't be that much wider for better appearance. Handling and performance has more to do with the tire you select than size or brand alone.
I agree with what you have said. I changed tires because I wanted to experience more of what the Mini was designed for. I agree that the all season tire they selected is mediocre for this type of vehicle. but that is what the dealer put on the car as part of getting it ready for sale. PSS is far better and I got a great deal on the set of tires. It was the right move.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 PM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I quite literally JUST got home from having 215/45-17 tires installed to my Clubman S. Rides smoother, slightly less feel through the steering, fills the wheel wells better...

I did the same when I had my 2011 Miata. That car came stock also with 205/45-17 tires.

You could get back some of the handling and feel with slightly wider wheels - go 7.5 instead of 7.
If I could find a set of BBS CS wheels they would be perfect at 17X7.5 4x00 Et38. I would love the 7.5 inch wide wheel but just difficult to find a good one in 17 inch and 4x100 bolt pattern.