Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

R53 new pads and rotors, strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
R53 new pads and rotors, strange behavior

Hey folks!

I recently replaced my front rotors, pads and brake sensor on my R53, and I'm seeing some strange behavior.

The first time I brake after starting the car, I'm feeling what feels like a grind/stutter from the brakes. After that, braking behaves normally.

I also have an issue with one of my wheel speed sensors, so I'm getting the trio of dash lights. (ABS, Traction Control and Tire pressure)

Is it the bad sensor that is making the abs system give the strange behavor, or is something loose or improperly installed that is causing the grind/stutter?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Cheers,
Duane

Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the brake wear sensor has nothing to do with the 'trifecta' of lights

that comes from an ABS sensor ... sounds like you might have knocked one while working on things ....

So far as the stutter: You did get the clips in the piston correctly? Sure the pads are in the grooves? Lubed the glider pins?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Capt_bj for the feedback! I'm planning on some major work on the mini this weekend, so I'll take a look at the clips and the groove placement. I know for sure I lubed the pins.

Cheers,
Duane

Old 10-11-2017, 03:48 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in as to how it went? I just had my front pads and rotors replaced and now my breaking is worse. I have to press all the way to the floor to come to a stop. I've never experienced this before with new breaks?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
brakes?

You 'had them done'

go back to THEM and tell them you are unhappy .....

the pads I use have a warning that they have a 'break in coating' and it can take several hundred miles for the brakes to become fully effective ..... so drive slow and carefully ..... curiously buried in your owner's manual was a similar warning for the first owner of the new car .....

The following users liked this post:
bobsax (10-11-2017)