Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TPMS inactive

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
TPMS inactive

Hey everyone,

I just had a light come on last week regarding my TPMS. It is inactive. I tried resetting it after ensuring the PSI was correct on all tires. This did not, however, help. It's still inactive.

What do you think is the reason? It's an 09 R56 Mini Cooper.
And if it's broken, do I really need TPMS? Does it affect any other system in the car?
Would anyone know a quote of cost to fix it?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:41 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Could be one or more of the tpms sensors have run out of battery. Avg life is around 7 years. Impossible to tell without removing the sensors though :(

It is not 100% "required" and the car does nothing more than show that little tire pressure warning light on the speedo. I have run winter tires half the year w/o tpms to no ill effect. Aside from having to be more vigilant about checking tire pressures which should be standard anyways.

I think the replacement part is this one:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/36236798726/

In late 2009/2010 they switched the sensor units so to replace yours, you'd need to find the correct version for 07-09 MCS which I'm pretty sure the part above is. ECS has a good kit for it:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-huf-part...36236798726kt/

Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Could be one or more of the tpms sensors have run out of battery. Avg life is around 7 years. Impossible to tell without removing the sensors though :(

It is not 100% "required" and the car does nothing more than show that little tire pressure warning light on the speedo. I have run winter tires half the year w/o tpms to no ill effect. Aside from having to be more vigilant about checking tire pressures which should be standard anyways.

I think the replacement part is this one:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/36236798726/

In late 2009/2010 they switched the sensor units so to replace yours, you'd need to find the correct version for 07-09 MCS which I'm pretty sure the part above is. ECS has a good kit for it:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-huf-part...36236798726kt/
Thanks so much 3lusive - I appreciate your input!

Old 07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...nitor_set.html

the notes that accompany this listing:

Please note, as of the Sept 2009 build date MINI has a different frequency for the TPMS sensors. Please note the option on the drop down menu for build date and slight price change for the newer TPMS kit. Also, the Gen3 MINI ("F" series models) use a different kit as well. Please select accordingly.

b4 you order anything I'd swing by a GOOD tire shop ... they may be able to 'service' your existing sensors, altho one site I've seen says the batteries are 'embedded' and can't be replaced.

For now, though, the batteries – generally round and encased in a sensor’s molded plastic housing – have finite lives. Since the batteries are entombed, a dead or dying one requires the replacement of its entire sensor assembly..

Old 07-07-2017, 02:25 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I changed out my TPMS sensors when I got new wheels and tires, the old sensors where six years old anyway and though they still work, I figured that they didn't have long.

Anyway, I took one apart to see if the batteries could be changed out. The electronics and batteries in the sensors are potted in a block of epoxy to seal them and protect them from vibration. It would be a big job to dig the battery out and would most likely destroy the electronics.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
On my 08, I had a receiver go bad. It's shaped like a pack of cigarettes under the headlight. I had a spare set of wheels, and the system would not reset with either wheels.

I took it to the dealer and they figured out quickly that the receiver was bad. I had the original sensors from the 08, and a set from an 07 and didn't have any go bad due to dead batteries.

See if you can swap wheels with a buddy for an hour and see if the system resets. This would tell you if you have a sensor issue or something else.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the light on and can't reset. I was at the tire shop yesterday and they tested all the wheels, they were working fine. (sidenote my car is an '09, they had to put info for an '08 in for it to read the frequency.)
Are there 4 receivers, or just the one, maybe that's where to look next?

Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
There is a receiver by each wheel. I believe that the rears are in front of the tire, but I don't remember for sure.

Mike

Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the dealer the only way to know for sure?