Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake pad replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 PM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad replacement advice

I'm sure there's already plenty of info out there, but I'm not sure what to search for.

The brake pad light in my 06 just came on, and I would like to replace the brake pads myself. How do I go about doing that? Do I also need to buy new discs? Do I need to buy new sensors? Is there anything else other than pads I need to buy? What brands are good? What DIY videos (specific videos) would be helpful? I've never done this before, but I'm not intimidated - I just need to know what I'm getting into. I'd appreciate any and all tips, instructions and advice.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You need to determine if the rotors are ok. Either they are fine, need turning or replacement. Since they aren't all that expensive I just went ahead and replaced mine. Some vendors have good info about brake changes, as well as youtube. Also need to determine kind of pads you are going to want, normal street driving, aggressive driving, track, etc. Is dust a concern, then go for a ceramic pad. Lots to think about.

I went with Centric rotors, OEM sensor and Akebono pads. Obviously many options, I'm sure you will hear of lots of them.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...dex.htm#basics

Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
There is a sensor on the left front and right rear so you need to check and see which brakes are worn out.
Then measure the rotors or see if there is a big lip on the edge if so replace.
The front pads are easy to replace, the rears you need to get the harbor freight tool to screw the pistons back in.

For brake pads we recommend the EBC redstuff pads. You will need to replace whichever sensor is rubbed through. Then for rotors check out our WMW rotors as they are great and what we use on all brake jobs in our shop.
Or we have our complete kit with pads and rotors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmwredbrakepackageR53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 EBC Redstuff pads.

Way is also a good resource.

Last edited by Tsquared; 11-16-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Andres.Aggy
2nd Gear
I just did this over the weekend, On mine it happened to be that the rear brake sensor went out. I found it cheaper at the local parts store. I went ahead and purchased new rotors and pads so I wont have to worry about it for a while. I got some stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with ebc yellow. Its night and day from what was on there before.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:51 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Thanks, everyone!

Is there any reason not to simply replace both sensors? Wouldn't that make more sense?

EDIT: Pun was not intended!

Last edited by audiodef; 11-16-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Thanks!

If I order the kit, should I include bolts? I don't know how much trouble they might be or how often/why people replace them.

This one? If that's not it, would you have a link to the tool you mentioned?

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
There is a sensor on the left front and right rear so you need to check and see which brakes are worn out.
Then measure the rotors or see if there is a big lip on the edge if so replace.
The front pads are easy to replace, the rears you need to get the harbor freight tool to screw the pistons back in.

For brake pads we recommend the EBC redstuff pads. You will need to replace whichever sensor is rubbed through. Then for rotors check out our WMW rotors as they are great and what we use on all brake jobs in our shop.
Or we have our complete kit with pads and rotors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmwredbrakepackageR53.html

Last edited by audiodef; 11-16-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
The bolts are not always necessary, but cheap and good to have if you strip one or it's rusty.

And no that's not the right tool. This kit would work, but usually they have a smaller kit that is cheaper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/Disc-Br...-Pc-69053.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
there IS a DIY section on this board ya know .... and there you'll find a pretty good set of beginner instructions for changing pads and rotors on a MINI

If you can't find it, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. (I have it saved)

EDITORIAL: There is nothing special about the disk brake system on a MINI. If you can find ANY disk brake DIY you'll have enough basics to proceed BUT your BEST way to proceed IMO is to have someone who knows what they are doing show you the first time. I've taught many folks how to change pads and rotors. Look for a local MINI group and MAYBE they hold 'tech sessions' .... I've hosted a few in my garage. How to change oil, how to change brake pads and rotors, how to repaint a fender . . .

SENSORS: On a GEN1 if your light came on, one of the sensors has tripped and the pads at that end of the car should be replaced as does the sensor. BUT the other senor and pads may be OK. You need to LOOK and see which sensor / pads are the bad ones. There are sensors on the left front wheel and right rear. But to REPEAT, the light USUALLY means just one sensor tripped.

ROTORS: if you SEARCH you'll find a zillion and 7 discussions about brakes in general and rotor replacement in particular. I'll try to summarize .... from the standpoint of having been an owner way back in 2002 ....

- IN THE BEGINNING, MINI said you should always replace the rotors with the pads. This is what THEY did under pre-paid maintenance

- LATER, MINI decided to save money and would measure the rotor thickness and only replace 'when needed'

- MINI never resurfaced rotors IME

IME I went two sets of pads to a set of rotors and did this for the friends I do MINI brakes for ..... this was for street use.

MY OPINION: today's rotors are made thinner than the rotors of old. This saves weight and money. While rotors of old were THICK and would last a long time and could be 'skimmed' a time or two .... today's rotors are so thin to begin with that they should not be resurfaced as they'll get TOO thin too fast. Today's rotors are also relatively inexpensive (unless you pay for slots/holes/colors/plaid patterns) and good machinists in brake shops are harder to find (last set I tried to have resurfaced were destroyed beyond use by a kid who had NO CLUE) .... when in doubt just buy new rotors and plain jane is FINE for MOST MINI drivers. The brakes, even on the GEN1 are over built.

ROTOR SCREWS: again, search is your friend. My recommendation is to soak 'em with PB Blaster for at least an hour .... but longer is good. THEN remember that the TORX bit has a tendency to back out of the bolt (if doing by hand) so use one hand to firmly keep the socket seated in the bolt face. If using an IMPACT this is less of a concern but STILL a concern. I've removed every one ever brought to me with PB Blaster, a 3 foot cheater bar and SLOW but STEADY pressure. When you reassemble a little anti-seize can go a LONG way for next time!

When I left MINI ownership I liked plain jane rotors (like Zimmerman) and EBC RED pads (very low dust).

"The Captain sends"

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-16-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
The bolts are not always necessary, but cheap and good to have if you strip one or it's rusty.

And no that's not the right tool. This kit would work, but usually they have a smaller kit that is cheaper.
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 PM
revdano
Neutral
brake pad and rotor recomendations

Greetings, I just joined NAM since purchasing my 2011 Clubman S. I am getting a lot of brake dust and now some wobble in the steering wheel when braking at higher speed. I want to change to ceramic pads to reduce dust and slotted/vented rotors. Don;t want to spend a ton of dough, but want a quality product. Any suggestions to some on line bargains?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by revdano
Greetings, I just joined NAM since purchasing my 2011 Clubman S. I am getting a lot of brake dust and now some wobble in the steering wheel when braking at higher speed. I want to change to ceramic pads to reduce dust and slotted/vented rotors. Don;t want to spend a ton of dough, but want a quality product. Any suggestions to some on line bargains?
Welcome! Look into StopTech vented/slotted rotors. I've run them before and they have weathered a lot of different driving conditions very well. For low noise and dust, but with still a performance pad, look into HAWK Ceramic Brake Pads here. They're quiet, clean & fast stopping! StopTech street performance pads are also another good bang option to look into.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-07-2015, 08:47 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear

Got the kit you mentioned. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Last edited by audiodef; 12-07-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by audiodef
Got the kit you mentioned. Thanks again for the recommendation.
No prob glad to help