Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bad moulding on Enkei wheels?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 AM
exocet
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad moulding on Enkei wheels?

Hi,

I bought a R56 GP a few months ago which (sadly) had the original wheels removed and replaced with Enkei wheels (don't know the model).

I came to put OEM MINI wheel locks on these wheels at the weekend and found that the wheel locks went on three of the wheels fine, but on the fourth wheel the moulding around the lug nut was too narrow to get the wheel lock in.

Has anyone else encountered this on Enkei or other wheels?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
There can be slight differences in the diameter of the wheel bolt holes and that could be your problem if the same wheel lock does not fit on any of the Enkei wheels.

Try putting one of the other three locks on the wheel that you suspect has smaller openings, if it works then one of your wheel locks is slightly larger in diameter than the other three.

In any case the simple solution is to leave the one wheel lock that doesn't work off the car. Any persons stealing the wheels can only get at one wheel before getting to the three wheels with locks.

The other question is- Do you really really need wheel locks? They are not really practical except if you keep the lock key in the glove box and if you did that, then someone would only have to break the window to get to the wheel lock key.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 AM
exocet
3rd Gear
Thanks for your response. It does have three locks on - it would be a determined thief that wants a single Enkei wheel!

I'm not too bothered about it except I hadn't really encountered this problem before on other wheels. That being said, the lug nuts probably only clear the holes by <1mm, so it does not take much variance to create the problem.

And the problem is with the wheel rather than the bolt, since the key surround the bolt (has a wider diameter), I know that the key fits the other three wheels.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
minihune
OK, if it was the lock that was too large by 1mm then you could grind it down a little to fit the wheel. But if it is the wheel then it's a manufacturing tolerance issue- if the wheels were new you could get a return.

I have not seen this before on Enkei rims which are usually pretty good, was this an older rim?

Old 03-28-2015, 03:29 PM
exocet
3rd Gear
I doubt that it was a older rim. I found my GP with 3000 miles on it at a Chevy dealer last October. It was a sad GP surrounded by all those Chevys... :(

It was a bit of a steal since the Chevy dealer had it priced as a regular JCW (lacking many standard JCW options) but the wheels and the suspension had been changed. I gather the GP suspension is not so hot, so I was happy with the Bilstein PSS10s the original owner had put on!

The downside was the lack of the GP wheels. This was a long way to say: I don't think they are very old since they are on a 2013 GP and are in immaculate condition.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:39 PM
minihune
If those Enkei wheels are a current model you might try contacting Enkei Racing customer support and mention that you have a "defective" wheel. Doesn't seem that any wheel should have an opening that is not large enough for a standard wheel lock.

Since it is clearly a defective product they may be able to send you a new wheel.

Normally if you had bought the wheels yourself, the wheel vendor could do this legwork for you.

Good luck.