Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

VGX brake products

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
GoKickyFastOk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VGX brake products

Greetings all! My 2012 S is due for new front brake pads and rotors. My shop (dealership wants $500+ for fronts only so that's a no-go) is suggesting VGX pads and says "he's installed 4-5 sets now" and they're "pretty bad ***." Charging ~$350 for the pads, rotors, and installation. Labor at this shop is ~$100/hr (pretty standard for this area) so that leaves $250 in parts which is reasonable if these are quality product.

Problem - I have not been able to find any recent information about this brand online - other than the pads and rotors don't seem to be $100/pair parts. They have a website but it has very little information and I can't find any other reviews online.

Anyone have experience with this brand? Yay/nay?

My personal choice would be EBC green stuff pads or Hawk (I liked them on my 240sx). Both are about the same price (about 100$/pair).

Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
After searching for VGX pad review-

I found more negative comments than positive-

see
http://www.miata.net/products/perform/vgx.html

I would recommend you contacting Way at Waymotorworks.com and ask him for what pads he uses after you explain to him what you want to use your MINI for.

It might be that the shop in your area makes more profit from using VGX product or that it wears out fast so they can replace the pads more often at your expense.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM
GoKickyFastOk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wound up going with the Hawk HPS (free 2 day shipping from tirerack), NAPA premium vented rotors, and the NAPA brake wear sensor. Installed them with a friend and have no complaints so far. Very glad I didn't go with the VGX :p

Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoKickyFastOk
I wound up going with the Hawk HPS (free 2 day shipping from tirerack), NAPA premium vented rotors, and the NAPA brake wear sensor. Installed them with a friend and have no complaints so far. Very glad I didn't go with the VGX :p
Congrats on DIY-ing your brakes - the simplest and most cost effective way to proceed.

I've noticed you are also in NJ - have you considered coming to our NJ BMW CCA autoX events? I know there is still snow on the ground and the first event is on 4/27, but it's never to early to start planning to have fun with your car. Details here: http://www.njbmwcca.org/

If you have never done a VDC tour, consider attending on 3/29 - a very cool guided tour through BMW Vehicle Distribution Center where all RR's, BMW's, and MINI's enter for NE dealer distribution.

a