Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Gorilla Lug Bolt Locks.... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 AM
isteedman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorilla Lug Bolt Locks.... Help!

So I purchased my 06 MCS back in October, She came with some Konig Zero wheels and they were mounted with gorilla lug bolt locks. All was good, untill I went to change out to my 15"steel wheels with Blizzaks on them. I got the rear 2 done quick, breaks and rotors too. Front driver-side took some muscle to get off, but no biggie. Then cam the front passenger-side... Wow, was this one torqued down. I gave it everything I had and nothing at all. So I did somthing stupid, it being dark outside I just wanted to be done. I put my foot onto the tire iron and cracked the special thin-wall socket.
So I have ordered 2 more special sockets (SD1719-KEY)

So how should I proceed? I was thinking go to harbor freight and get an electric impact gun, but only to get the wheel off. I have a torque wrench for putting them back on. 80 ft/lbs? or or 100? These are the 14mm lugs my MCS was built in 11/06 one of the last supercharged MCS!

Also slim chance but, Does anyone in Columbus, Ohio own one of these awful SD1719-KEY sockets? My replacements don't show up until the 26, and I don't think I can go that long without my Mini!

Last edited by isteedman; 12-20-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Austinsynthetics
1st Gear
Originally Posted by isteedman
So I purchased my 06 MCS back in October, She came with some Konig Zero wheels and they were mounted with gorilla lug bolt locks. All was good, untill I went to change out to my 15"steel wheels with Blizzaks on them. I got the rear 2 done quick, breaks and rotors too. Front driver-side took some muscle to get off, but no biggie. Then cam the front passenger-side... Wow, was this one torqued down. I gave it everything I had and nothing at all. So I did somthing stupid, it being dark outside I just wanted to be done. I put my foot onto the tire iron and cracked the special thin-wall socket.
So I have ordered 2 more special sockets (SD1719-KEY)

So how should I proceed? I was thinking go to harbor freight and get an electric impact gun, but only to get the wheel off. I have a torque wrench for putting them back on. 80 ft/lbs? or or 100? These are the 14mm lugs my MCS was built in 11/06 one of the last supercharged MCS!

Also slim chance but, Does anyone in Columbus, Ohio own one of these awful SD1719-KEY sockets? My replacements don't show up until the 26, and I don't think I can go that long without my Mini!
I know some don't like it, but to save you money.... Use a piece of pipe on a breaker bar. You should be able to apply enough force to remove the nut.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 AM
isteedman
Neutral
I have a breaker bar, that's what split/broke the socket the first time. So as it turns out Oriley Auto Parts has security lug nuts that are the exact same spline pattern as my gorilla automotive bolts. I bought those, just for the socket, tried them with the impact wrench a few times then put on my 18" breaker bar. slowly each one came loose!

Another matter is that it appears only 1/4" of these lug bolts were threading into the hub! I would imagine i need longer lug bolts! They seem to thread in more with the steelies, so good for now, but ill need longer bolts come summer.

also 15" blizzaks make the coop ride like air, my girlfriend wants me to use them year round. The handling is noticbly decreased, as for snow? I don't know yet... It was 65 yesterday here in Columbus OH.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1/4" is Dangerously low thread engagement! You want 7-8 full turns.