Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do Breaks Have to programmed at Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Deyan Mitev
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Breaks Have to programmed at Dealer?

Hello everyone
Just bought a mini and wanted to join this group cas i have some questions and I need help!!

I bought an 08 cooper S hardtop auto.. ( so my gf can drive it.. ) my other car is stick shift... anyway...

I had a problem with my throttle body (so did the dealer say) and replaced it today. They advised that i go to get it programmed so car works right. They also said back breaks need to be changed soon too. I asked if I could do it myself? Answer: You can , but make sure u buy original MINI parts and you come back so we can program the breaks as well (of course there is a charge).
Well, my breaks light sure just came on and now Im debating should i buy MINI rotors and pads or I can do aftermarket drilled and slotted? And i read that there is a process to reset the break light... does that mean i still have to go to dealer to "reprogram" the breaks?
I work on my cars myself all the time and now I think they are just trying to squeeze extra money out of me. Can someone help me out?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
The engine has throttle adaptations that will need to be reset after replacing the throttle body.

My guess with the brakes is they are referring to resetting that brake light, which I'm sure is easy thing to do. I've always changed my brakes before the sensor was triggered, so can't give you much guidance. The oil change interval can be reset without special equipment, so I'm guessing the brake sensor light can too.

With the adaptations, consider getting a BMW USB cable from eBay or elsewhere that will allow you to get codes and reset engine adaptations on your own instead of being at the mercy of the dealer.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Go to-
http://www.waymotorworks.com/07-10-c...ndling/brakes/

Contact Way and tell him what your MINI parts needs are-

OEM or equivalent brake pads and plain rotors are all you really need.

You can change all four brake pads at once if you like. Check the front rotors for wear (do they look worn?). If you know that the front brakes were redone recently then you may not need new rotors in front.

EBC red stuff brake pads and usually the ones to get for a street driven MINI.

Way can tell you about how to reset the MINI computer if needed.

He can sell you OEM MINI parts for less than the dealer charges, rear rotors and pads do not need to be MINI OEM, just the equivalent.

Rotors are fine solid, just get the hubs painted so they resist rust. Slots are OK but aren't worth the extra course for street use, and cross drilling is purely for looks, they weaken the rotor and will likely crack over time or if you heat up the brakes too much.

If you have not changed out/flushed brake fluid, now would be a good time to do it.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
NO you don't need to get the brake pad light reset by the dealer that is just crazy to pay them to do it. Will take you 30 seconds. If you have a bentley manual it tells you how to do it.

You don't have to use the OEM MINI pads that are really dusty, we use EBC redstuff and have a great package
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-red...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more