Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Redline Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redline Brakes

Has anyone bought brakes, rotors and pads, from Redline brakes off ebay? They have good feedback, and great prices.

Thanks,
Perry

Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For something like brakes I would stick with a trusted name like AP, StopTech, Brembo or Wilwood. I would rather stay oem stock than a "no name" brake kit.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Got my brake pads and rotors and installed over this weekend. I broke off one Torx bolt on the passenger front, and couldn't get the others off.Didn't try the rears. On the fronts, a large screwdriver in a vent hole inside the caliper hold it in place nicely. Went through 2 Torx bits. Can't get enough 'bite' on the bolts. I PB Blastered them, even heated the driver front to no avail. I hope to break it off. I just changed the pads in back and on the drivers side. I'll have to borrow a corded drill and better bits to drill out the Torx.

Rears didn't have the 7mm hex bolts. They were 5/8 or so. Got all them off easy.

Sensor on back was bad. I have 2 new ones coming. Front seemed fine. Can I put it back in without trouble? I took it completely off as I still have to get that rotor off.

The rotors look great, like stock. And the pads are semi-metallic. Time will tell how they hold up, but I like the looks of them.

Thanks,
Perry

Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 PM
hegemonia
Neutral
Redline brakes off Ebay

Originally Posted by gbtr6
Has anyone bought brakes, rotors and pads, from Redline brakes off ebay? They have good feedback, and great prices.

Thanks,
Perry
Now that you've had these brakes for a couple of months, what do you think?

I'm thinking of buying the same on Ebay. Can you offer any insights and opinions? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Hi,

Thanks for asking. So far they have been great. A little squeaky, but I didn't put any grease on the backs of them. They have gotten better. No issues with warpage or other bad manners. They seem to have good stopping power. Don't know about wear yet. That all said, this is my wife's car, so it isn't driven very hard unless I get to push it a little. I think these are fine for an everyday driver car. They also fit well and I only had issues with the bolt that held the rotor on as I had to drill all of them out, no fault of the new brakes.

Perry

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM
hegemonia
Neutral
Hi Perry,

That's really helpful. I'm still debating with myself as to whether I should go with the more expensive pads & rotors, but it's good to know that these are reliable enough.

The designs seem simple compared to other alternatives (not drilled or slotted, etc.). The technology is changing and I wonder how much difference marginal improvements make.

One place seems to suggest that Redline is Australian, but another indicates mid-West U.S. Do you know anything about the manufacturer?

Anyways, it's nice talking with you. Once again, thanks for your help!

Anthony

Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Anthony,

I don't know where these are manufactured, but they did seem a very close match to original. I got these with an eye toward original performance, but on a tight budget. I would love to spend more for slotted and drilled, but frankly, we don't drive the car the way you'd need to to notice much of a difference. Hope your brake job goes smoothly.

Perry

Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 AM
hegemonia
Neutral
Hi Perry,

I wonder if the price differences on pads and rotors will be reflected in the durability of these products? Or is it just difference in performance? Do you know?

I've read that zinc-plated rotors are anti-rust. That seems like a nice feature on rotors, which otherwise become quite unaesthetic over time.

Thanks again!

Anthony