Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Euforia runflats lasted 7.5k?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
cnh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euforia runflats lasted 7.5k?!

We were just cleaning the MCSC today when I saw something in the center of the tire... and lo and behold, it was worn through to the cords! Not something I was expecting to see on a car with 7500 miles - the first 1000 being all highway, and most of the rest being driven by my Mom who is not the type to explore the car's handling or performance limits.

Both front tires are severely worn, with the center of each worn until cords are visible. Yeah, I realize this means overinflation but I'm rather annoyed by that, as the pressure was set by the dealer the last time we had it there - and surely they aren't THAT overinflated that they should be worn out at 7.5k!

We're going to contact Mini about it tomorrow, and I sure hope she doesn't get the song-and-dance about how it's a wear item (at under 8k miles of generally easy driving?) or how it's our fault (that their mechs overinflated the tires?) I mean, is it really my Mom's responsibility to double-check the work their mechs do?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 AM
RNR
1st Gear
my pirellis were showing cords at 15k, which i thought was a little early for mostly highway driving. tires were always properly inflated and rotated. they actually still had a decent amount of tread, but there was a cord showing in the center of a rear tire.

replaced them with michelins and they seem to be wearing slower.

Last edited by RNR; 05-05-2009 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Sacha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cnh
We were just cleaning the MCSC today when I saw something in the center of the tire... and lo and behold, it was worn through to the cords! Not something I was expecting to see on a car with 7500 miles - the first 1000 being all highway, and most of the rest being driven by my Mom who is not the type to explore the car's handling or performance limits.

Both front tires are severely worn, with the center of each worn until cords are visible. Yeah, I realize this means overinflation but I'm rather annoyed by that, as the pressure was set by the dealer the last time we had it there - and surely they aren't THAT overinflated that they should be worn out at 7.5k!

We're going to contact Mini about it tomorrow, and I sure hope she doesn't get the song-and-dance about how it's a wear item (at under 8k miles of generally easy driving?) or how it's our fault (that their mechs overinflated the tires?) I mean, is it really my Mom's responsibility to double-check the work their mechs do?
Yup, my Euforia was showing cord just like you after 15 000Km, but decided to get new tires instead of arguing with a Mini dealer, and wow, what a great move I did(toyo proxes4).....I will never go back to RFT.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
cnh
1st Gear
Oops, never did post the follow-up.

Mini USA did indeed give us the runaround about this. We were told that it was because of aggressive driving, that it was because the Mini is an exotic sports car, and my favorite, that it was because of Mom's clutch technique. I am pretty sure it was not Mom's clutch technique, because the car has an automatic!

Mini, you make a cool car but this experience is a real downer. I have had better customer service with a used Lexus - bought from a used-car lot, no less - than I have with a new Mini.