Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension shock knock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shock knock?

I have installed hr springs with koni yellows. since the install there is a knock/rattle from the right rear. I took of the shock/spring assy. and found the top part is contacting the body, seems to be tapping on the body. Just wondering if anyone else has had this occur. I attempted to "clearance" the sheet metal but it is still there, although slightly better.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had something similar happen with my new CROSS coilovers. The upper spring perch on the coilovers was hitting the underside of the black diamond-shaped bracket (guide support bracket) that attaches the shock to the underside of the car. (#10 in this picture):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/t/k/120.png

I think part of the reason is that the factory upper spring plate (#9 in the same picture) is not re-used with the new coilovers, and since it's not in there, the upper spring perch is that much closer to the guide support bracket.

I've ordered polyurethane replacements for the two-piece foam rubber spacers that go on the top and bottom of the guide support bracket, in the hopes that they'll compress less, but in the meantime, I put three washers on each side, right on top of the spring perch (one steel washer sandwiched between two neoprene washers) to give me more distance between the spring perch and the guide support bracket.

That's stopped the "clacking", but when I install the poly spacers, I guess I need to double-check to make sure I was supposed to leave the factory upper spring plate out of the assembly. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to re-use it, because the upper spring perch on the coilovers doesn't fit into the recess in the factory upper spring plate.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:38 AM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
close but not quite

Klacking is a great word to describe the sound. I actually have the adjuster screw at the top of the strut rod impacting the body inside the recess in the fender well. I can see where the adjuster is deformed and the metal is scarred.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
suggestions???

Ok if no one else has experienced this sound then I have installed something wrong, any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 AM
robino
4th Gear
if you have adjustable rear control arms...

i was getting a knock too...

looked at everything, finally found that one of the adj. control arm bolts was loose (hand tight), once i put a wrench on it and tightened it, knock gone completelly.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
But why?

I am almost positive I know where the knock is coming from, the question is why and how do I fix it. The noise started right after I installed the springs and shocks, no other mods. It is the top of the shock(above where it mounts to the body) impacting the inside of the body in the fender well. I am only having this issue on the right rear shock. I have checked to make sure all of the components are tight. What have I done wrong with this shock?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have just finished installing KONI yellows with Swift Spec-R springs on my 2006 R53 JCWand am having the exact same knocking noise described by ringmaster73. The noise is coming from the right rear wheel and sounds like metal on metal tapping. Quite loud in the cabin when it happens. Never experienced anything like it. I really think that it's the metal rebound adjustment tab on the KONI shock that is hitting against the top of the fender well. It's pretty loud and only happens when I hit sharper imperfections in the road. Going to get my mechanic to take a look and will report back.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:43 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
How is clearance around the stabilizer / sway bar end links? It's possible that these are making contact. I've had similar issues with different vehicles.

Can you take some pictures and post them up? Use Imgur / Flickr / whatever to host. :thumbup:

The statements above regarding the upper mounting perch bracket being the culprit are possible. Do you also have pictures of the new assembly?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Forgot to get back on this. The tip of the Koni metal adjustment tab was knocking against the metal of the wheel well. I had tightened the strut top nut too much. Backed it off a few turns and the knocking went away.

As a side note, the ride is much better than the OEM JCW struts that were replaced. I've done a couple of autocross events and have found that the car is better planted and more responsive to inputs. Me = happy camper.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by veedubpat
How is clearance around the stabilizer / sway bar end links? It's possible that these are making contact. I've had similar issues with different vehicles.

Can you take some pictures and post them up? Use Imgur / Flickr / whatever to host. :thumbup:

The statements above regarding the upper mounting perch bracket being the culprit are possible. Do you also have pictures of the new assembly?
No wonder people are petrified of posting photos on NAM. To post you don't need nor can "host" with most of these you listed, unless you want to make it a production. NAM hosts all photos in my thread all my posts. It never cease to amazed me that everyone now walk around with the most easy to use camera in their pocket/purse and few bother to post photos, especially when asking for help. Is it a generation thing? Too hard to take a few steps. The younger generations have no idea what's like to get your 12 photo film processed. I count my blessing we have these wonderful things many take for granted because of progress and technologies.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
To post you don't need nor can "host" with most of these you listed, unless you want to make it a production.
This sentence makes absolutely no sense. And boy, are you ever grumpy.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 AM
pnwR53S
I see you are in the camp of no foto. Nuff said. You great posts will not be interrupted by me again. No wonder people are lapping up FB as it is so frictionless, and legacy sites like NAM are all dying. Too difficult to move your fingers to post a few foto.

Oh, I need to make a foto for my avatar. I am so behind the curve.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 06-27-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:17 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Name:  d2lGR50.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  20.9 KB

Images not hosted on external websites such as Flickr, Imgur, Photobucket, et al, do not allow someone who is logged in to properly view the photo, nor will it populate the post in an acceptable way. But hey, nice try with the holier-than-thou attitude. And you want to talk about history of the internet, here's my VWVortex account, from 2008: https://forums.vwvortex.com/member.php?393272-Project_2501 And that's by far not the earliest account I've had on a message board, just the one I have the most 'clout' on, as it were.

If you think that using two websites to upload a picture on one, copy a link, and paste it to the other website is a 'production' - how are automobiles your hobby?

Last edited by veedubpat; 06-27-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear

↑ EPIC!

Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 AM
pnwR53S

Images not hosted on external websites such as Flickr, Imgur, Photobucket, et al, do not allow someone who is logged in to properly view the photo, nor will it populate the post in an acceptable way. But hey, nice try with the holier-than-thou attitude. And you want to talk about history of the internet, here's my VWVortex account, from 2008: https://forums.vwvortex.com/member.php?393272-Project_2501 And that's by far not the earliest account I've had on a message board, just the one I have the most 'clout' on, as it were.

If you think that using two websites to upload a picture on one, copy a link, and paste it to the other website is a 'production' - how are automobiles your hobby?
I wasn't even going to bother to counter your pointless post. You totally missed my main point as why so few post photos. Most still think you need a photo hosting site like the scummy photo-kick-the-bucket ransom that negatively impacted so many forums. If you link to a photo hosting site you have an account in most of your photos you posted here you are very likely making a production. Yes, most forums you cannot post a photo unless you have them hosted elsewhere, or allow you to post as attachment and with much limitations not to mention the pain points for the readers. Not here at NAM. Uploading photos in a batch is frictionless unlike most "free" photo hosting sites. Free is never free but I wouldn't expect you to know.

You will be very surprised to know my profession and automobile is only one of my countless "hobbies". You are so out of the league. Keep going around to advise newbies with electrical problem remove the battery cable and short them together . You must learnt that from the typical boiler room "tech" support BS script.

Let me add one more point. Go read the posts from the early years here on NAM and you can see the average quality was much higher in the early years long before the rise of social.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 06-30-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:46 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
You are so out of the league. Keep going around to advise newbies with electrical problem remove the battery cable and short them together . You must learnt that from the typical boiler room "tech" support BS script.

Let me add one more point. Go read the posts from the early years here on NAM and you can see the average quality was much higher in the early years long before the rise of social.
I'm assuming that you mean "you're out of your league" as that's the actual saying, and I'd certainly agree. It's hard to stoop this low. I worked in the semiconductor industry while living in California, so yeah, not a clue how electrical things work, you're right.

And to say that the post quality has declined is obvious - every schmuck can buy these cars now as they're so cheap, and it definitely shows. Ignorance runs amuck.