Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Megan racing coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan racing coilovers?

So trying to think. Megan racing coilovers or

h-sport springs, koni fsd, and caster/camber plates? Both are the same cost. My concern is ride quality, I don't want to go over a bump and get zapped in my back. I know the fsds feel good. . Help me ohh great gurus. Yes I plan on tracking the car and getting it ready for the STX series

Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
You're not going to get much meaningful feedback until the first few Megan owners start reporting in.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Don't forget the FSDs were not designed to work optimally with lowering springs. Different spring rate require different damping forces.

Hopefully the first couple of guys that just installed the Pilo racing coilovers will tell us how it feels soon!

Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtremepsionic
Hopefully the first couple of guys that just installed the Pilo racing coilovers will tell us how it feels soon!
I can already tell you what they'll say. They'll say they're the best shocks in the world and that the ride quality is exponentially better than before. What else are you going to say after spending $1100 plus installation??? How many times have you read from someone that reported their new lowering mod is "nearly as smooth as stock"? Translation: they made a harsh ride more harsh! But, boy didn't those shocks look trick before I mounted them and now can't see them anymore.

Just having fun. Hope they're everything the new owners hoped for, but I wouldn't trade my FSDs for them. Guess I'm biased.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevie B
They'll say they're the best shocks in the world and that the ride quality is exponentially better than before. What else are you going to say after spending $1100 plus installation???

that's like those NA guys telling us their drop-in filter is the ultimate
bang for the buck! ohhh... it's power you can FEEEEL! hehehe jk.

im sure the pilo coilovers are good.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:41 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Stevie B
I can already tell you what they'll say. They'll say they're the best shocks in the world and that the ride quality is exponentially better than before. What else are you going to say after spending $1100 plus installation??? How many times have you read fom someone that reported their new lowering mod is "nearly as smooth as stock"? Translation: they made a harsh ride more harsh! But, boy didn't those shocks look trick before I mounted them and now can't see them anymore.

Just having fun. Hope they're everything the new owners hoped for, but I wouldn't trade my FSDs for them. Guess I biased.
That's $950 plus installation (free except for alignment and corner balance) since I'm doing the install on mine and helping Brad on his. And, of course, they are going to be the greatest suspension mod. ever allowing 2g turns and a completely smooth ride; and they will increase hp and torq. How can you doubt that?

Steve

Old 01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
I had hoped someone completed the install this weekend, and would at least report in on the fit, install problems etc. Anyone?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Scooby03
Former Vendor
Waitimg to get the rear control arms before installing.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Is there anyone in southern california that is doing them? I would be interested to see what they feel like after the install

Are the bilstiens better than the megan ones? Is there any way to install progressive rate springs on the megans?

Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
saifa
4th Gear
Anyone have them installed yet? I would like to try out a set but am waiting for some feedback.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Patience, Brad and I are still waiting for control arms. If they arrive this week we may be able to install this weekend.

Steve

Old 01-18-2006, 07:43 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I might have to make a trip over to fresno. It's only about 2 hours away . not sure if you guys would be free next weekend or the weekend afterwards, but I would be willing to take a trip up there to take a ride, not drive, in your car to determine if these shocks would be good for me .

Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updated experiences? I'm currently in the same boat (thinking of getting the H-Sport/FSDs, but still wondering about coilovers if the cost is similar). Thanks...

Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
So trying to think. Megan racing coilovers or

h-sport springs, koni fsd, and caster/camber plates? Both are the same cost. My concern is ride quality, I don't want to go over a bump and get zapped in my back. I know the fsds feel good. . Help me ohh great gurus. Yes I plan on tracking the car and getting it ready for the STX series

Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
There are a number of recent updates on the Megans. Look through the other Megan threads. In short, my experience is very positive. I give them my strongest recommendation. Great design, quality, adjustability, and handling. Excellent value. Feature to feature you can't beat it.