Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension 1/4 vs 1/2 vs 3/4 vs 3/8" Rachet Drives

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 06:45 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4 vs 1/2 vs 3/4 vs 3/8" Rachet Drives

Not sure if my question is posted to the right forum but I'll give it a try anyway. I am doing some tool shopping because the movers sent all my tools to storage instead of shipping over to the UK with me.

I am curious if there is a preferred size and why as to whether or not to buy 1/4" vs 1/2" vs 3/4" or 3/8" rachet drive wrench? I also need to purchase a torque wrench so if there is anything I should know before I buy about this type of tool let me know and thanks

Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
3/8" is the most useful all around size. It has enough leverage and the size is small enough to get most places. 1/2" is the next most useful for me. I use that size for larger fasteners and the ones that are really stuck. 1/4" is great for getting into really tight spaces, but not a lot of leverage if the fastener is really tight or stuck. 3/4" I use mostly on the big bolts on my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel pickup. Or also on the lug nuts with a four foot breaker bar when some ***hole at the tire shop torques them to the breaking point. But I mostly use the 3/8" set.

Steve

Old 07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
It's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. The size of the drive depends on the amount of torque and leverage you need. The 1/4 sockets are thin walled, the 3/8 are a little thicker, and the 1/2 are thickest. Likewise, the length of the respective ratchets are progressively longer to allow more leverage. If you are going to crank a big bolt down, you need a 1/2 drive socket with a relatively long handle on the ratchet. Use that setup on a 6mm bolt and you will break the head off in no time. I have all three sets but I would suggest a 3/8 drive since it is the most diverse and will get you by 90% of the time.

As far as the torque wrench, I prefer the cheapy torsion bar type over the click or extremely expensive digital type.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:17 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks guys so if I understand you correctly the dimension refers to the OD of the socket itself and using a tool large socket on a smaller bolt head could easily twist off the bolt head yes?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:29 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
The ratchet size refers to the square drive end of the ratchet and the hole in the back of the socket. And yes, if you use a too-large ratchet on a small fastener, it is really easy to twist the head off if you tighten it too much. I prefer high quality click type torque wrenches.

Steve

Old 07-31-2005, 07:40 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks I think I have enough info to do some shopping now. Just for chuckles I took a look at the Snap On site, wow talk about expensive, two sockets, a drive and an extension comes to $161.00 not inclsuing shipping. I am sure these puppies are fabulous and beautiful to use but I don't think spending that kind of money makes much sense for a weekend mechanic do you?

Old 07-31-2005, 08:01 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGear
Thanks I think I have enough info to do some shopping now. Just for chuckles I took a look at the Snap On site, wow talk about expensive, two sockets, a drive and an extension comes to $161.00 not inclsuing shipping. I am sure these puppies are fabulous and beautiful to use but I don't think spending that kind of money makes much sense for a weekend mechanic do you?
Get Craftsman. Lifetime warrenty just like Snap-On but you don't have to find a Snap-On truck to return it to. Unless you are a mechanic and need absolutely top quality stuff, Snap-On is just overkill (and even Snap-On break, just not as often).

Old 07-31-2005, 08:07 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Sears Craftsman are fine for most people. Snap-on tools are top quality, but you pay for it. I buy off the truck so no shipping. It's good to know your dealer because they have specials sometimes and if something wears out or breaks it gets replaced of fixed on the spot.

Steve

Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Yeah I agree Craftsman really cannot be beat for the quality price ratio thing. In fact all my tools that went into storage are Craftsman, unfortunately there are no Sears stores in the UK so I will have to go to my local automotive parts house to ge the bits I need.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
torque///

on d'tortion type, any particular brand? .... (superior on tuner wheels)..
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
It's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. The size of the drive depends on the amount of torque and leverage you need. The 1/4 sockets are thin walled, the 3/8 are a little thicker, and the 1/2 are thickest. Likewise, the length of the respective ratchets are progressively longer to allow more leverage. If you are going to crank a big bolt down, you need a 1/2 drive socket with a relatively long handle on the ratchet. Use that setup on a 6mm bolt and you will break the head off in no time. I have all three sets but I would suggest a 3/8 drive since it is the most diverse and will get you by 90% of the time.

As far as the torque wrench, I prefer the cheapy torsion bar type over the click or extremely expensive digital type.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Currently I only use 1/4" and 1/2" drives. The intermediates, I have
socket adapters and several ratchet sizes so i've never encountered
a problem working on bolt-ons.

I want to get a whole set of 3/8" next though, just for convenience
sake. (and collection? )

I too only use Craftsman. I don't work on cars enough to really need
anything else.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Yeah I think I will start off with 3/8 since that seems to be the most universal shall I say. There is an automotive supply house over here called Halfords which has all the necessary tools and their prices are actually in line with Sears although I won't be able to tell about the quality until I purchase and use some of their items so I will do so this week. I need to install my new Alta 22mm rear sway bar that requires 13 and 16mm sockets plus a torque wrench.

I really do need to say I much I appreciate all the help I have received from NAM members, I just would not have been able to get my car to where it is today without the help and quick responses from the posts I have made and I certainly have had my share of needing help so thanks again

Old 07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You are probably going to see brands like, Facom, SK, Stahlwille and Hazet. I like the industrial hard chrome finnish line of Hazet and they make almost every specialty tool the MINI needs.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gb

To get opinions on relative quality of Halfords stuff, you may want to post some queries on www.mini2.com, where many Brits exchange info. Like all forums, they're never at a loss for an opinion or 2.

hs

Old 07-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Joe Donovan
2nd Gear
Having been an aircraft mechanic in the USAF I can ditto the 3/8 drive suggestions. The torque wrench is a different story. The click type wrenches have to be recalibrated frequently or they can become verrrry inaccurate. Dropped once and it can be off by as much as 50%. The torque bar is somewhat less accurate, but fool proof if used properly. Drop it 100 times and no problem. Snap on is way overkill. The craftsman advice is good. Hope this helps, Joe D.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
also ext. bars and universals come in real handy too.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
I want to get a whole set of 3/8" next though, just for convenience
sake. (and collection? )
The 3/8" drive deep sockets are a "mid" depth compared to the 1/2" sockets so it isn't needless duplication--very useful to have. I find myself using the 3/8" most unless I need to apply extra torque.

As k-huevo pointed out, what quality tools you will find in the UK will mostly be French and German brands. BTW Facom no longer owns S-K in Illinois.

For unbeatable price, Stanley tools at Wally world are surprisingly good quality (Stanley made Craftsman tools until 1994, they still make MAC and Proto) but the lifetime warranty there requires a 1-800 call and waiting for the mail. Ever since Snap-On's Flank-Drive patent ran out, all Stanley tools have had a similar feature. A better warranty is available on Stanley/Husky tools at Home Depot but at a higher price.

Craftsman has the best warranty bar none, covering even abuse and modification (eg I had to cut my own stubby wrench/shorten a socket and now I'm "not satisfied" and entitled to an exchange for new even without a receipt). Only the 6-point tools appear to have a flank drive type cut. Danaher makes Craftsman tools, MATCO, Gearwrenches and Kobalt (Lowe's). Kobalt used to be made by Williams (a Snap-On company), but no longer. Only beam-type Craftsman torque wrenches carry the lifetime warranty; the click-type is only a year or two. And the gearwrenches at Halford's appear to be Danaher Taiwan.

Snap-On tools break about as often as Craftsman but this is still impressive since they generally (but not always) have thinner walls for better access in tight spaces. They are ~4x the price of Craftsman so unless you use them professionally and the dealer comes to your workplace all the time (kind of hard to chase one down otherwise) it's not worth it for home use. Sometimes the dealer will hassle you about "abusing" a broken tool and offer 1/2 off a new tool--really depends on the dealer. The finish on them is absolutely beautiful compared to the rough-hewn and "as-cast" finish on say, Craftsman wrenches.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks BFG9000 I think you're right about the Snap-On since it's only for home use finding something of equal value over here in the UK will probably be the best route. There is a store called B&Q that appears to owned or at least operated by Home Depot, I will go there tomorrow to see if they carry the Stanley/Husky brand, thanks

Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 AM
jlm
6th Gear
another tip or two:
-get 6 point sockets instead of 12 point;
-the useful range of a 3/8 drive torque wrench is not generally large enough to do wheel studs, for example (90 ft-lbs)
-get a 1/2" drive breaker bar and at least a socket to fit your wheel studs

Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
The lug socket is 17mm, so in addition to the 13mm and 16mm, it would be most practical to just get a 1/2" drive set that includes all of those, plus a matching 25" breaker (as jlm suggested), torque wrench, and ratchet. I didn't install my rear bar but it looks like a 13mm combination wrench might be useful too.

Costco here carries cheapie Cooper/Crescent tools; I don't know what they carry in the UK. Allied, Thorsen, Pittsburgh, and Cooper are a bit too cheaply made for my taste, but may well be serviceable. Costco has a special type of lifetime warranty--you have to return the whole set and not lose any pieces, then you can upgrade to whatever set they carry then.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
The 3/8" drive deep sockets are a "mid" depth compared to the 1/2" sockets so it isn't needless duplication--very useful to have. I find myself using the 3/8" most unless I need to apply extra torque.
Great! I will tell my wife you said so...then I can pay it out of our home
improvement account and not my piggybank account.
off to sears I go~.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Joe Donovan
... The click type wrenches have to be recalibrated frequently or they can become verrrry inaccurate. Dropped once and it can be off by as much as 50%. The torque bar is somewhat less accurate, but fool proof if used properly. Drop it 100 times and no problem. ... Joe D.
Joe,
Where or how often do you get a click type recalibrated???
John

Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Joe Donovan
2nd Gear
I dont, it's very expensive and not worth it unless your job requires it. When I was an aircraft mech. They had to be recilabrated every 6 mos. or when dropped, and when new after shipment. If you have one and want to have it calibrated, go to a local HIGH END shop and ask where they have there's done. I've inquired at two different tire shops (as they are required by there insurance co. and others to torque wheels to spec.),and both said they never had them calibrated. The Irony is that most people send them off to be done and they are not handeled properly in transit which can mess up the job.
Originally Posted by DaCrema
Joe,
Where or how often do you get a click type recalibrated???
John

Old 08-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Our 50
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
I have 3/8" sockets, but both my torque wrenches take 1/2". So you should also get a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor. I don't think using this adaptor affects torque values.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
If you are concerned the extra extension of an adapter may affect torque values, then a 1/8" thick low-profile adapter can be used instead: http://www.starrproducts.com/socket.html

And Sears carries a torque wrench calibration tester.... for $1100. Nobody here can do it locally either so the calibration would only get messed up again in shipping.