Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Good performing springs with a good drop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:40 AM
strider209
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good performing springs with a good drop?

It's been mentioned on these forums that the H-Sport performs well but it only drops the Mini about an inch. The M7 drops more but doesn't perform well. I'm looking for something that has both a good drop and improves handling. Any recommendations?

Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by strider209
It's been mentioned on these forums that the H-Sport performs well but it only drops the Mini about an inch. The M7 drops more but doesn't perform well. I'm looking for something that has both a good drop and improves handling. Any recommendations?
Strider209,
What are you going to use your MINI for- autocross, track, driving events or street use? If mostly street use then the M7 springs are ideal for more drop and a fairly smooth ride. On the track there are better choices that are stiffer like the H-sport springs or Bilstein PSS9 coilovers (much more expensive).

If cost is not a problem then coilovers that allow for ride height adjustment can give you a fairly safe and usable 1.7 to even 2.0 inch drop. Adjustable damper settings allow you to tune for street or track use. PSS9s are good for street use, Ledas are good for track but both can work OK for either duty.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:30 AM
minimonkey
4th Gear
The M7 drops more but doesn't perform well. I'm looking for something that has both a good drop and improves handling.
I beg to differ with your M7 comment. I recently installed them and I am blown away at the improved handling. They really exceeded my expectations. I got them, because of the amount of drop... but I found the ride to be better than the stock shocks... and certainly not harsh (like some people discribe the H-Sports as being).

I would highly recommend the M7's. For the money, the BEST improvement to my cars handling since the rear sway bar!

Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
greenphantom
1st Gear
Vougtland makes a good spring for the Mini. The springs are progressive like M7's and they drop the Mini 30MM (approx 1.3"). I have had a set on my car for over a year and I'm quite happy with them.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i loved the H-sports, it's very likely that they will be on my next MINI. good drop and the car rode much much better. it comes down to what you want, sacrifice a bit of lowering and ride comfort for performance, or vice versa. i will be considering the m7's for my next MINI, since i only autocross a few times each year. i'm sure there are owners of each that will give us a more detailed list of their likes/dislikes about each spring.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:47 PM
CooperSS
4th Gear
As an M7 spring owner I am always perplexed at the comments that if you want more drop get the M7. When I installed the springs on my 04 MCS I meticulously measured each wheel well for the distance from the ground. After installing the springs I took the car out for a spin and came back and repeated my measurements, exactly 1 inch drop front and rear. One year later I repeated the measurements to see if the was any sag. Still exactly 1 inch drop. I measured from the ground to the lowest point on the lower lip of the plastic wheel arch. 25 1/4 inches before installation 24 1/4 after installation. After I recently switched from 205/45/17 to 215/40/17 I re-measured and found the new number to be 24 inches. That figures out right as the new tires are 1/2 inch smaller diameter and that should make it a 1/4 inch shorter on the radius or 24 inches even.

I agree with minimonkey that the handling is superb when used in concert with my 22mm Alta rear sway bar. The ride on the street is smoother than stock and the springs are much firmer than stock once you enter a corner. I have tracked the car and found the cornering to be flat and neutral.

I think they are great setup for anyone that does not mind a 1+ inch drop.
Seems as though they drop some cars more than others, I don't know if this indicates a difference in the stock height for MINIs of a difference in the M7 springs.

Bill

Old 05-30-2005, 04:08 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CooperSS. I think you could be suspect for having a biased opinion ...

Anyway, I'll just poke in here and repeat that anyone that is considering lowering his car with springs alone should expect the possibility of a much shorter life span for their stock shocks. Figure at about 10K miles you might have failed shocks.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM
strider209
3rd Gear
Mini is for street use and maybe an occasional trip to the track. A coilover setup would be nice but not in my price range. I'm looking for something that would lower the Mini around an inch but also improve how it handles. I was thinkinf of H-Sport but am open to others as well.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 AM
minihune
Mini is for street use and maybe an occasional trip to the track. A coilover setup would be nice but not in my price range. I'm looking for something that would lower the Mini around an inch but also improve how it handles. I was thinkinf of H-Sport but am open to others as well.
strider209,
Due to your budget and only occasional track needs I'd say the M7 springs make the most sense. I've seen several MCS with M7 installed and the drop is definitely more than with H-sports. Fender arch height varies with suspension, camber and wheels used (less diameter with lower profile tires)

See if you can find someone with M7 springs installed. Go for a test drive.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Now what is wrong with an ALTA Spring because no one seems to mention anything about it? I have them install in me 05 MCS and the price is very reasonable but the ride is great.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:30 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to know more about this. I had a discussion this past weekend with Kilo about this very thing. So what's the deal. Are shorter life span shocks a result of any spring that lowers more than OEM, or is this specific to m7 springs?

It seems that some people experience greater failures than others, but not sure why? Anyone care to elaborate on this important point?

Originally Posted by onasled
Anyway, I'll just poke in here and repeat that anyone that is considering lowering his car with springs alone should expect the possibility of a much shorter life span for their stock shocks. Figure at about 10K miles you might have failed shocks.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:50 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by AC_MINI
Now what is wrong with an ALTA Spring because no one seems to mention anything about it? I have them install in me 05 MCS and the price is very reasonable but the ride is great.
Strider209 was looking for springs with a "good drop and improves handling".

If we think good drop is more than one inch then M7 springs are worth a look. But if you interpret good drop as less than one inch then Alta springs are fine.

I thought good meant more than one inch drop. Take your pick.

Not everyone with lowering springs gets worn shocks that compromise performance. I had H-sport springs and stock shocks and when I removed the shocks after about 15,000 miles after the spring upgrade, they were doing OK. Wear and results may vary. Maybe if I had more people in my MINI on a regular basis the shocks would have worn out quicker.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:31 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I find it funny that so many people are willing to sacrifice comfort 99% of the time for that small gain in performance they will only see only 1% of the time. The M7 springs are MUCH more comfortable than the Cooper S sport springs and they also feel much tighter in corners. I’m sure the coilovers handle better but my past experience with them (on my GTI) has not been good - I thought they felt like the car was on pogo sticks.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two considerations with using stock dampers with shorter, heavier aftermarket springs - THIS IS A GENERALIZATION TOO. The stock dampers were designed to handle the characteristics of the stock springs. An aftermarket spring that asks these stock dampers to work harder to control their rates will cause them to wear faster, a relative term here for sure. Shorter springs will also ask stock dampers to work outside their performance envelope. These are not necessarliy black and white truths, but personally, I would expect shorter life. I think Onasled's comments are spot on.

Also, dampers that are too strong for a given spring rate will in general feel sluggish during the rebound phase. Dampers that are too weak for a given spring will never settle down. And too low really screws up roll couple!

Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 AM
CooperSS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
CooperSS. I think you could be suspect for having a biased opinion ...

I could see where some might think I had an agenda in posting this, but I was just remarking that the M7 springs only dropped my car an inch and I was wondering why there might be a variance when others have seen greater drops with the same springs. I have no idea whether lowering springs, in general, will shorten shock life, but don't doubt the theory. My car has 17K on it now with no sign of shock failure, but that could be right around the corner for me. Thanks for the comment.

Bill

Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
strider209
3rd Gear
Ok my main concern is lowering the Mini at least an inch but I'd like to get better than stock spring performance out of them...Or I could cut the stock springs Just kidding! I'd like to stay under the $200 area but most springs are in that range if not lower. Anyone have experience with the Tein? I can get them for $160

Old 05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Tein spring are good but for $160.00, you can get ALTA spring at JSC spreed for $149.00. Check out the link:
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/suspens...ta_springs.htm

But if you really want the TEIN BASIC: High performance with a reasonable price. Compared to the "sleeve type" coil over. Is only $846.00 and up.
Check out this link:
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/suspens..._coilovers.htm

Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 AM
strider209
3rd Gear
I need to make a decision soon. Because I have a convertible (heavier) the Mini will be lower compared to a hard top. From what I've read the H-Sport will drop the cabrio about an inch. I don't want the Mini dropped too much, at the most 1.5 inches. I was looking at Tein because of the price but I'm thinking it might lower the car too much. Randy at Webb Motorsports is recommending the H-Sport over anything else because he feels everything else drops the Mini too low and the H-Sport do come with bump stops. Suggestions anyone? Just to claify the main reason I want to lower the Mini is looks but I don't want to hinder it's performance. If it makes the ride a little stiffer that's ok.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only concern with H-Sports is the rate up front; very light from where I sit. The % difference between front and rear is very good for track work, however.

Randy's concern about dropping the car too much is well grounded. Your car may actually handle worse.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:15 PM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimonkey
I beg to differ with your M7 comment. I recently installed them and I am blown away at the improved handling. They really exceeded my expectations....

I would highly recommend the M7's. For the money, the BEST improvement to my cars handling since the rear sway bar!
Right-on, minimonkey!! I totally agree - Love them!! Highly recommended. Combine them with control arms and a sway bar too - WhooHooo!!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I thought I would just chime in here. I am interested in teh H-sport springs because of the drop. Everyone is saying how they 'perform better'. I am assuming that means that they give the car a better handling performance. How is the real world driving performance compared to the sport suspension on a MCS?? I am assuming since they are progressive, the ride will be better when you are cruising around in the streets (i.e, less harsh, feeling softer), and then get nice and planted when you start actually driving the car.

Am i under the wrong impression here? I plan on replacing the run flats and s-lites with some lighter wheels and better tires, but I don't think it will really help the cars ride that much. I am hoping the springs will finish off the package and i'll enjoy it more.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:04 PM
pfunk
4th Gear
Can someone tell me who makes M7 springs? I have H-sport and I know where they come from. I know M7 does not make the springs themselves.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I'd like to know more about this. I had a discussion this past weekend with Kilo about this very thing. So what's the deal. Are shorter life span shocks a result of any spring that lowers more than OEM, or is this specific to m7 springs?

It seems that some people experience greater failures than others, but not sure why? Anyone care to elaborate on this important point?
My H&Rs caused increased wear as well. I'm gonna guess its all lowering shocks. I put on my Koni's and found that my OEM shocks were very soft.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pfunk
Can someone tell me who makes M7 springs? I have H-sport and I know where they come from. I know M7 does not make the springs themselves.
espelir (sp )
:smile:

Old 09-03-2005, 11:26 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
spring rate is one key item that will prematurely wearout your dampers
if the rates are consistently in the higher range vs stock
(consistently meaning, if they are progressive rate springs and averaging
a higher spring rate than stock).

The other issue about some factory dampers wearing out earlier than
other is probably the pre-04 dampers vs 04+. 02, 03 has stiffer
dampers from what i read. i speculate that has something
to do with how much more abuse the dampers can take along with
how you use the car. If you use it every day on a wash cloth
terrain highway, your dampers will blow much earlier than others.

My 03 has had the H-sports for the last 13k miles or so. the stockers
still damp very well.

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy

Quick Reply: Suspension Good performing springs with a good drop?