Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Bilstein SP shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Shea
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein SP shocks

Just saw it in the Bilstein site. Besides the PSS9 kit, they have the SP shocks listed with part numbers:

02-04 Cooper/Cooper S from 6/02
VE3-A323-H0(L) BE3-A325-H0(L)
VE3-A324-H0(R) BE3-A325-H0(R)

For those who know Bilstein, are the SP the monotube replacement shocks? Or are those the twintube design? I heard great things about the monotube ones, just wondering if anybody have previous experience with the SP lines of shocks.

Thanks
Aaron

Old 12-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I'd give Sam Strano a call. He owns www.stranoparts.com . Not only is he a national champion autocrosser he's honest and carries Billstein parts.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 AM
scobib
5th Gear
And let us know what he says if you do call him...

Old 12-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Morefun
2nd Gear
Call Bilstein and ask to speak to one of their tech reps. I've called several times regarding other issues and have had all of my questions answered. Good people, Great shocks!

Cheers,

Old 12-11-2004, 06:22 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
These Bilstein Sport shocks are montubes I believe. One thing for sure, you'd want to change out the springs as well, as the shocks are not usually meant to work well with factory springs. And while Bilsteins rock, in a MINI, they are going to be very, very stiff. I have Bilstein coil-overs, and actually use 15 inch wheels and tires much of the time because of the stiffness. (Though I am thinking about some Panasport wheels in spring) The benefits of a stiffer suspension outweigh the drawbacks IMHO. You get completly flat, very fast cornering, no squat under hard acceleration, no dive under hard braking and an absolutely stable ride all the way up to a MINI Cooper or S's top speed! A well worth-while upgrade!

Originally Posted by Shea
Just saw it in the Bilstein site. Besides the PSS9 kit, they have the SP shocks listed with part numbers:

02-04 Cooper/Cooper S from 6/02
VE3-A323-H0(L) BE3-A325-H0(L)
VE3-A324-H0(R) BE3-A325-H0(R)

For those who know Bilstein, are the SP the monotube replacement shocks? Or are those the twintube design? I heard great things about the monotube ones, just wondering if anybody have previous experience with the SP lines of shocks.

Thanks
Aaron

Old 12-13-2004, 07:19 AM
scobib
5th Gear
The SP shocks are meant to work with lowering springs if I am not mistaken, right?

Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Shea
1st Gear
I am in between getting the H-sport/Bilstein SP, or the Bilstein coilovers. I would like to have adjustable shocks, but the Koni's rear adjustment doesn't interest me. I've heard that monotubes hold up very well, so I might give it a shot. I live in New York City so pot holes is an everyday challenge. How well does your Bilstein coilovers hold up with pot holes and bumps?

Originally Posted by z3bum
These Bilstein Sport shocks are montubes I believe. One thing for sure, you'd want to change out the springs as well, as the shocks are not usually meant to work well with factory springs. And while Bilsteins rock, in a MINI, they are going to be very, very stiff. I have Bilstein coil-overs, and actually use 15 inch wheels and tires much of the time because of the stiffness. (Though I am thinking about some Panasport wheels in spring) The benefits of a stiffer suspension outweigh the drawbacks IMHO. You get completly flat, very fast cornering, no squat under hard acceleration, no dive under hard braking and an absolutely stable ride all the way up to a MINI Cooper or S's top speed! A well worth-while upgrade!

Old 12-13-2004, 05:03 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Coilovers and pot holes don't go well together at all. I haven't tried adjusting the shocks to thier most chilled out setting though, which might help alot. Trouble is the fronts adjust easily, the rears have to be removed from the car (Doh!) Because if this, I'd almost consider buying remote controlled adjustable shocks, like Tokicos, but not sure if anyone makes them for MINIs. Other than that, I run on 15 inch wheels, which definitely help smooth out the ride. The MINI is stiff, but it corners very, very quickly!

I am in between getting the H-sport/Bilstein SP, or the Bilstein coilovers. I would like to have adjustable shocks, but the Koni's rear adjustment doesn't interest me. I've heard that monotubes hold up very well, so I might give it a shot. I live in New York City so pot holes is an everyday challenge. How well does your Bilstein coilovers hold up with pot holes and bumps?

Old 12-13-2004, 06:31 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Shea,

For the price you can't go wrong with the Bilsteins. I got mine for about 1/2 what they're selling for through the usual suspects. I think the name of the place I got mine was shockwarehouse.com. There's a link on Bilstein's web site.

Good luck and enjoy if you get them.

And Z3BUM, all you have to do is reach around under the rear and you'll find the adjustment *****. Simple, straightforward and only 10 clicks either way from full soft to rock hard.

AMPR