Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension Options for 2008 JCW Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM
avi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Options for 2008 JCW Convertible

Hi all, I’ve got an 08 JCW convertible with an aftermarket suspension added by the prior owner, and I’m not happy with the setup — it’s way too stiff and low for my preferences and purposes.

Current setup:
  • Koni yellow shocks
  • H&R springs
  • H sport rear control arms
  • front control arm bushings (aftermarket, I think)
I know the above is a little vague, but that’s all the info I have.

Anyway, the current setup is way too stiff and too low, so I’d like to change it up.

I’m thinking about two different scenarios: a return to a stock OEM setup, or maybe a highly adjustable aftermarket setup.

WRT the stock OEM setup, what’s unclear to me is whether there are special parts that are specific to an 08 JCW convertible… or what. In other words, which parts would I need to buy? I’ve tried looking on various parts sites but I’ve not had much success understanding my options, nor what my car was originally equipped with from the factory.

I might also want to consider an aftermarket setup, if there’s an option that would have a similar ride and compliance levels to a stock setup while daily driving, but could then be adjusted to make it much stiffer for weekend racing. This seems to be complicated by the fact that the car is a convertible; the current Koni shocks are adjustable but I’ve yet to figure out how to access the tops of the rear shocks so as to adjust them. So I guess I’d need a set of coilovers that’d be adjustable via the wheel wells? If that’s right, are there any coilover setups that have such a wide range of adjustability, such that they’d ride like a stock car during the week and like a “race car” on the weekends?

I’d very much appreciate any help understanding my options in either of these scenarios! Thank you!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I would change back to oem springs and see how that does first.
Make sure that the Koni Yellows are not set too stiff,
about a quarter turn from full soft would be good.

if it’s still too harsh, then change the Koni yellows
for Koni Special Active (this product line used to
be called Koni FSD). These only work with the
stock height oem springs.

The control arm bushings and the rear control arms can stay
Lastly, what tires are you running now?

The following 2 users liked this post by cristo:
avi (02-16-2019), mountainhorse (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
Does anyone have specs on the H&R springs... even their website doesn't have any of this info, other than lowers by 1.4" ??

Wondering...For the H&R 50452's....

Are they Progressive or linear rate?

What are the rates, F&R ??

What is the installed height?

What is length to coil bind?

Last edited by mountainhorse; 02-15-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 PM
avi
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cristo
I would change back to oem springs and see how that does first.
OK, makes sense. I just need to look into which parts to buy. I think I saw in another thread somewhere, at some point, that the convertibles have stiffer springs in the back to handle the extra weight. And I don’t know whether the JCW convertibles used the same springs as the S, or not. I’m also curious whether I could maybe find some progressive-rate springs that’d be nice and compliant during normal driving but stiffer when pushed harder (and would retain the stock height, or only lower the car slightly.)

Make sure that the Koni Yellows are not set too stiff,
about a quarter turn from full soft would be good.
OK, thanks for the tip. I still haven’t figured out how to access the ***** of the rear shocks, but hopefully someone will enlighten me at some point!

if it’s still too harsh, then change the Koni yellows
for Koni Special Active (this product line used to
be called Koni FSD). These only work with the
stock height oem springs.
OK, cool.

The control arm bushings and the rear control arms can stay
OK, cool.

Lastly, what tires are you running now?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2019, 01:48 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
There are no aftermarket springs with stock ride height, all of them lower at least some, so just get the oem springs.
The convertible oem springs do differ from other models, and several parts are available that match to approximate curb weight depending on options.
The difference is getting the ride height the same rather than changes in spring rate.
From the VIN, the particular set that matches your car can be determined. I think there are 3 different possible sets of fronts and rears.
The JCW should be the same as a similarly equipped S unless you have the JCW suspension kit,
(which you don't since you have Koni Yellows and H&R springs now).

To adjust the rear Koni Yellows you have to drop the shock to get to the top. It's actually pretty quick and easy..
Two bolts hold the upper mount to the body, and it's easier if you also remove the bottom shock bolt and take the whole assembly out .
(Be careful not to cross thread the lower bolt, since the trailing arm that it goes into is softer aluminum and it's not too hard to mess up the threads.
For that matter, don't cross thread the upper bolts either) .
You should be able to undo the top mount, pull down a little, and adjust it blind if you don't want to take the whole thing out.
Some people have drilled a hole in the body to get to the adjustment area, but the method above is easy enough that it's not really worth doing.
You don't have to re-align after taking the rear shock assembly out and putting it back in.
Put both rear sides up on jack mounts. If you just do one side at a time the sway bar will pull up on the side you lift.

The Michelin P S A/S3 is a fairly comfortable riding all season tire. Not the best in the deep snow or ice but one of the best all season choices the other 3 1/2 seasons of the year.

The following 2 users liked this post by cristo:
avi (02-16-2019), ECSTuning (02-21-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM
avi
1st Gear
Wow, super helpful info, thanks so much!