Suspension KW rear shock adjuster extensions DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
KW rear shock adjuster extensions DIY

Knowing that I'd want to mess with the settings on my KW Street Comfort coil overs, and also that I wouldn't want to drop them again to do that... But I didn't want to spend the $100 for a pair from KW. So came up with this little DIY. A small ball-end 2mm allen key would do the same job (and also just barely fits under the amp on the driver's side), but I wanted something just a little bit nicer.

Credit to Scooter09 in this thread for the idea:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3657751

Found these nifty little ***** on Amazon- $10 for a pair:
Amazon Amazon

And this set of ball-end hex bits. The 2mm is all you need, but I couldn't find where to get only that:
Amazon Amazon

Drilled out the opening a little larger to fit the hex tool

Cut the end off the hex tool. Really just to make it not stick out too high.

Assembled. Set screw keeps the **** tight on hex tool.

Hole drilled on passenger's side. There is a fairly small opening at the top of the strut mount, maybe 1/4" diameter. And the distance from that opening to this inner body sheetmetal is only about 1/2". So it's hard to get this too wrong. I rushed a bit, admittedly, and just stuck my drill up the hole and let it rip...

...and my holes are slightly off, as you'll see below. In hindsight, making a little pilot dimple with a nail, and taking extra care to keep the drill level would've helped I think. But it worked.

Took some silicone bumpers, like 1" diameter, and used a leather punch to make a hole that would fit the tool. Stuck them to the sheetmetal over the hole. The idea is to hold the shaft of the tool so it doesn't bounce out of the top of the shock- I leave them in there at all times. Driver's side works great, but pass side came unstuck- I think it's not sticking well to the sound-deadening. Might try again, but first scuff it up or something.

Cut a tiny slit in the sound-dampening. Finished!

Yeah slightly crooked...

Even fits under the amp =)

Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 AM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Ahhhhh you drilled a hole!!! Looks good tho. The manufacturer (KW) should have the ***** on the bottom for these cars.