Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Front Sway Bar Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Front Sway Bar Bushing Question

I just installed the Powerflex PFF5-102-24 front sway bar bushings on my 2006 Cooper S. I measured the bar and I measured the old rubber bushings and both are 24mm.
My question is: Are the bushings supposed to squish out this much when I torque down the bolts??? (see pictures) The bushing seem to get crushed and forced out the sides. Is that normal?
Before stuff the whole sub-frame back in... I just want to be sure.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by bump32
I just installed the Powerflex PFF5-102-24 front sway bar bushings on my 2006 Cooper S. I measured the bar and I measured the old rubber bushings and both are 24mm.
My question is: Are the bushings supposed to squish out this much when I torque down the bolts??? (see pictures) The bushing seem to get crushed and forced out the sides. Is that normal?
Before stuff the whole sub-frame back in... I just want to be sure.

I went and checked my photos. It turns out I bought the SuperPro FSB bushings and steering rack bushing to save a few bucks since they are not as critical as the control arms'. I didn't experience this problem.

Since you bought the right parts I would not worry about it. At worst the FSB would just act like a torsion spring - think early air cooled 911.

The following users liked this post:
bump32 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I went and checked my photos. It turns out I bought the SuperPro FSB bushings and steering rack bushing to save a few bucks since they are not as critical as the control arms'. I didn't experience this problem.

Since you bought the right parts I would not worry about it. At worst the FSB would just act like a torsion spring - think early air cooled 911.

I was digging through your post to find your photos. I wish I would have done it earlier and ordered the SuperPro bushings. It looks like they fit better and are much closer to the OEM bushings in shape and size.
I almost put the original black bushings back in because of the fit but in the end I decide to leave the PowerFlex bushings in since the originals are 12+ years old. ARG.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.