Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Different wheel spacers between front and back

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,383 Posts
Different wheel spacers between front and back

This spring, I will be installing a set of Megan coilovers to my Clubman, and I know I'm going to have to install spacers in the front. I assume something between 3-5mm for strut clearance. I don't really want to run spacers only on the front, so I'm also looking at some for the rear, try to balance out all four corners.

This got me to look at the spec dimensions for the Clubman, and I noticed the front and rear track are not the same. According to the owners manual, the front and rear track widths are:
Front - 1453mm
Rear - 1461mm

Because of this, I was thinking... run a bigger spacer in the front and a smaller spacer in the rear, to make the front and rear track widths the same.

If I run 4mm spacers on each rear wheel, and 8mm spacers on each front wheel, that will get me to:
Front - 1469mm
Rear - 1469mm

Thoughts?

Do you think the handling of the car will change all that much from having front and rear track widths the same? Or, should I just throw some spacers in the front for clearance, and call it a day?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
In a case like this I would just put the 5mm on the front and not do anything with the rear.

Now if you do I would install the suspension and set it where you want then measure to see how much spacer will even fit on the rear as you may find the wheel will come close to the arch as is depending on wheel and tire combo.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-15-2018, 01:09 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
In a case like this I would just put the 5mm on the front and not do anything with the rear.

Now if you do I would install the suspension and set it where you want then measure to see how much spacer will even fit on the rear as you may find the wheel will come close to the arch as is depending on wheel and tire combo.
Thanks. Spacers only in the front will certainly save me some cash.

I will be using the OEM 17x7 +48 wheels with 205/45-17 tires. Do you know if 5mm spacers are enough to provide needed clearance in the front with Megan coilovers?