Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Powerflex LCA Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM
IslandJCW
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Powerflex LCA Bushing Install

Hi everyone,

In the middle of some maintenance on my 05 JCW so thought I would take the opportunity while the subframe was out to install some PowerFlex bushings… Which should be simple enough

Question… Has anybody here had issues installing the LCA bushings into the carrier?…
I've got all the right tools, but cannot for the life of me get these poly bushings to insert into the sleeves!
These bushings don't have much give and the leading edge just seems far too large to be squeezed into the receiver no matter which way I attempt.

Bushings are verified as the correct ones… Receiver is cleaned and lubricated as is the poly leading edge

Any insight would be appreciated!

Last edited by IslandJCW; 06-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
What tools are you using to get them in? I have the PowerFlex bushings but haven't gotten around to installing them. I did purchase this tool to put them in:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't really tell you if it works.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM
IslandJCW
2nd Gear
Got that same kit as well as a home made kit using threaded rod and floor flanges, nuts and washers .. used home kit with other vehicles (BMW) , but first time on MINI

Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 PM
IslandJCW
2nd Gear
Update on PowerFlex LCA Bushing Install

After several failed attempts at installing the PowerFlex LCA bushings into the carrier bores... what I found works for me was to freeze the bushings overnight which actually shrunk them down .3 mm…

That was enough for me to persuade them into bores..still very tight but much more doable

The following users liked this post:
gumbedamit (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 07:44 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandJCW
Update on PowerFlex LCA Bushing Install

After several failed attempts at installing the PowerFlex LCA bushings into the carrier bores... what I found works for me was to freeze the bushings overnight which actually shrunk them down .3 mm…

That was enough for me to persuade them into bores..still very tight but much more doable
Great news, I did see that method on a youtube video. When I do mine, they will go into the freezer first...

Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
I would think that dropping them into some hot water would make them a little more flexible, allowing the bushing to smoosh easier.