Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Powerflex Vs. Meyle

Old 06-08-2017, 05:28 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Powerflex Vs. Meyle

I'm finally at the point where I can tear the front suspension apart and I'm stuck on which CABs to order...

Meyle HD - $90/each and pre-pressed
Powerflex - $$50/each and loose, obviously

I was happy with my Meyle's on my e46 for ~40k miles. I've read conflicting stories on powerflex, though. Some absolutely love them and they're problem free, some squeak from the get go, some need to be lubed every year or so. I'd prefer the stiffer powerflex, but I don't want to have to constantly maintain them. Does anybody here have any direct experience with them?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
might as well get +2 caster from superpro unless you do not drive your car hard

Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
Definitely don't. Daily driver. I can do some spirited drives, but those are few and far between in Chicago. I'll be doing several road trips, though...

Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
This is a no brainer go with the powerflex. I think I installed my first set over 12yrs ago and that car still has not worn them out or needed to relube them. Actually I've never relubed a set yet, and don't plan on needing to. I've never had a customer complain about them either. So I think that is just "INTERNET BS" when people have "heard" bad things about them. There are few products worthy of a 110% endorsement, but he powerflex control arm bushings are one that do. We also offer them prepressed.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

As for Meyle. I've never had good luck with any Meyle products as their quality seems to be a reflection of their price and therefore I won't install the Meyle stuff in my shop any longer as doing it a second time for free isn't good for me.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-08-2017, 06:26 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Never heard anything bad about Meyle so that's surprising to hear from wmw, bavauto has always endorsed them. Pretty good reputation in the BMW community.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Never heard anything bad about Meyle so that's surprising to hear from wmw, bavauto has always endorsed them. Pretty good reputation in the BMW community.
Seen many of their strut mounts broken.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Way installed powerflex CABs in my car around 18 months/30K miles ago. Have not thought about them, much less touched them in that time. I'd have to put them into the "must-do" category for the R53.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (06-13-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Very much this. I know they're well respected on bfc/e46f and I liked them on both my e46 as well as e34. I still wouldn't hesitate to put them on.

Originally Posted by KevinR
Way installed powerflex CABs in my car around 18 months/30K miles ago. Have not thought about them, much less touched them in that time. I'd have to put them into the "must-do" category for the R53.
I bought a set of powerflex. My mechanic used to build race cars so I'm sure he's familiar with how to install poly's. I also have a set of Meyle's in a box so we'll see what happens.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
why more caster?

Originally Posted by mega72
I admit I am not so up to speed with the bushing choices. I did a bit of research on Superpro site and I cannot find info about the increased caster. I had problem accessing the PDF on my Mac. I truly curious why you think +2 caster is good for track.

Search this Thread