Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Daily Driver Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 PM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driver Suspension Setup

Hey all I've been hunting online but I wasn't able to find a solid answer to this. It seems every thread about suspension upgrades sway in the direction of track and autocross. I've yet to find something for the regular driver just looking to get a better setup than original.

I've got a 09 MCS with 95K Miles on it now and I am thinking it's time to replace the suspension. Am I correct to think these are probably shot after all this time? If so whats the best option for somebody looking for a good setup for daily driving with 17" wheels and perhaps a slight drop to reduce some of the wheel gap?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,381 Posts
With that many miles, the stock shocks are probably done. I like Bilstein for replacements, but some find them too stiff. Bilstein B8 shocks will pair nice with any aftermarket lowering springs. Another option would be the Koni FSDs. The FSDs would pair nice with the OEM springs.

Also consider bushing replacements. The rubber will be stiff and cracking after so many years.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I drove for several years with TSW springs and koni yellows. I liked the setup. I also liked having powerflex front control arm bushings, and Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates. I ran -2.0 front and rear camber without having uneven camber wear. I put about 50k miles on this setup.

I have no hesitation recommending this setup, but I also have heard good things about Bilsteins.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Replacing those rubber bushings is probably an opportunity to go polyurathane? Would the Madness ones or the Powerflex be easier to get installed? I'm thinking I'll start getting all the parts so when I'm replacing stuff I'm updating all the parts in one sweep.

If I'm doing the entire suspension what other parts could use replacing? Control arms, linkage, camber plates, sway bars? Have I missed anything?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:39 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,381 Posts
The Madness bushing kit has all the important bushings. Installation difficulty compared to the Powerflex will be the same.

The only other items that might need replacing are the front upper strut mounts, since they have bearings and handle steering loads. Shouldn't "HAVE" to replace control arms or links, unless you want more adjustability. You can check the front ball joints for looseness, and replace as needed.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 AM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Awesome! I can't thank you enough for steering me in the right direction

Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The stock lower control arm bushings are pressed in a mount. Places like Detroit tuned and way motor works have these mounts available as an exchange if you buy the bushings from them. That is what I did. Big pry bar to get the control arms out of the stock bushings.

If you are replacing the strut mounts, think about the Ireland engineering fixed mounts. They give additional camber but use the stock mount so they are quiet like the factory. Additional camber helps front grip quite a bit.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm happy with TSW springs and koni yellows. I find myself cruising down old dirt backroads roads in Northern Michigan and I wouldn't want to be lower.