Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension OEM axles on a lowered MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
OEM axles on a lowered MINI?

So my MINI is in the shop for diagnosis of a significant vibration I feel under WOT, especially in 4th & 5th gear. My car is lowered approx. 1" all around on H&R sport springs. My mech thinks it sounds like axles.

If so, is there a problem going with OEM axles again? I added adjustable camber links in the rear when I had the springs installed, but made no other changes in the front. I've read some stories of guys going through axles quickly with slammed cars, and just wondering if the 1" drop means I should run something other than OEM.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:49 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Most of the time the vibration issue is due to lowering the car on used axles. The axles wear in at a certain angle and can have issues if the wear is significant. How many miles did your axles have on them before lowering?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
The axles were, to my knowledge, original factory equipment and had 64K miles before I had the springs installed. Car now has 72.6K miles.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
64K could be enough wear to cause vibrations after lowering. I had 38K on my axles and haven't had any vibration issues. Are you just feeling them now, or was it there right after you had your springs installed?

I don't think 1" is too extreme of a drop for OEM axles. Also, everything I've read about the inexpensive aftermarket axles is they don't really last, even at stock heights. Most people don't want to spend the money on OEM and this might be why people are going through axles so quickly.

Were all of the engine and transmission mounts checked? What about wheel balance or if a rim was bent?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
First, thanks for the replies & info.

The lowering springs were installed March '16, and I started to feel some vibration last fall, like October'ish. I had the upper passenger side motor mount changed from OEM to VibraTechnics 2 or 3 years ago, and had the gear box end mount and torque link changed to VT in Oct. as well. I had new tires mounted, balanced, and alignment done pre-MOTD last year.

My mech just called, and confirmed it is the axles. Just as info for everyone, I called Detroit Tuned, and they confirmed that OEM (and even some reasonable after-market) are fine for a mild 1" drop.

Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
OEM axles should be fine for that. But I do commonly see vibrations with H&R springs, but most the time on R56s so I don't have much faith in them.

If you have your stock springs it may be worth a try to swap them out to see if the vibration goes away.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more