Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Cabrio/Clubman rear springs on a Hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cabrio/Clubman rear springs on a Hardtop?

I've got an R56 hardtop, I'm finding that on a lot of my road trips I am carrying a couple bikes and 50-100lbs of luggage in the back. The car has the Sport package. I was just wondering if the springs for an R55 or R57 Sport pack might have a tad stiffer rate with comparable height, since those cars are a few pounds heavier, mainly over the backend.

Not interested in going to coilovers, nor lowering springs, my driveway is too steep. I want to keep factory "sport" height if at all possible, I really like the stance it has, and occasionally have to drive on rough gravel and dirt roads. This car isn't a pavement princess lol.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I think that swapping springs is worth trying. Ideally, try and find someone with a complete set of rear shocks/springs from a clubbie with sport suspension so that you don't need to disassemble your shocks. There is also a difference in springs if the car has a sunroof or not. People are usually selling old stuff like this on the marketplace. Swapping rear shocks is pretty easy (actually changing springs isn't hard either, but you would want to get a spring compressor).

Be cautious when tightening the lower shock mount, the bolt threads directly into the cast aluminum trailing arm and they can cross-thread or strip.

There is a chance that the rear of the car will sit a bit higher, but it is still likely an improvement for what your situation is.

Have fun,
Mike