Suspension NM sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:17 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
On the R56 models the Sport Suspension sway bars are not quite as thick as the aftermarket ones. The one I got from Way Motor Works in 2008 was 19mm rear bar. I think the OEM sport suspension is maybe 18mm. My SS seems to minimally understeer now, but I never had the regular suspension to compare to. If I had an F56 I'd opt for the adjustable dampers and get a 19mm rear sway bar. That would be sweet.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll tell you where the sway is in the 3-cylinder with the sports suspension, it's more than the R50's regular suspension, but only when pushed. You only notice it when taking sharp turns fast [but that is the only bit of fun I have on my drive to work].

Is this something I could get my dealer to install?

The other thing that has interested me is the Cravenspeed Big Pair. Maybe it's one or the other, or one then the other?

I wonder what the difference is between this and the F56 3-cylinder's sport suspension's sway bar?

The 3-cylinder sport suspension sway bar is 33506853919, which is the same one on the S. The regular sway bar on the S is 33506853918.

Last edited by hammerhands; 06-17-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
On the R56 models the Sport Suspension sway bars are not quite as thick as the aftermarket ones. The one I got from Way Motor Works in 2008 was 19mm rear bar. I think the OEM sport suspension is maybe 18mm. My SS seems to minimally understeer now, but I never had the regular suspension to compare to. If I had an F56 I'd opt for the adjustable dampers and get a 19mm rear sway bar. That would be sweet.
Negative is you can't lower the car if you have dampers.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
" The 3-cylinder sport suspension sway bar is 33506853919, which is the same one on the S. The regular sway bar on the S is 33506853918. "

Bet one is a 1mm or 2mm larger then the other, there is not spec in the ETK, usually it shows it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-18-2015, 05:52 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
" The 3-cylinder sport suspension sway bar is 33506853919, which is the same one on the S. The regular sway bar on the S is 33506853918. "

Bet one is a 1mm or 2mm larger then the other, there is not spec in the ETK, usually it shows it.
They also hollow...looked like a 17mm to me but did not measure. Going to the NM 22mm is night and day.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea maybe a 17mm and then a 19mm ? Posssible. If you measure it post up.

I know the NM is a 22mm adjustable.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-23-2015, 04:19 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
On the R56 21mm was what worked for most people. If they went to 23mm better be careful, one guy ended up with his car on its side I remember that.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Ok, got my NM springs, NM rear bar, and Cravenspeed Big Pair installed, on my S with sport suspension. Some notes:

-NM springs are similar to the SS, but a little more forgiving on the freeway. They seem to be more progressive- the first inch of travel is softer. I think that they might even be unnecessarily soft on non-runflat tires- have to wait until these tires wear out to test that. Also the rear is a little lower than the front, to my eye. So I do like them on the freeway, but I think the SS actually drove slightly better on winding roads.

-NM rear bar is a moderate improvement over the SS. The SS bar is 22mm, but hollow. Maybe with the SS springs the difference would be more noticeable. I have it set to full-stiff. I'm sure it's a big improvement over the standard suspension.

-NM endlinks- I also put these in. Pretty surprised that the OEM ones are plastic! Dunno how much difference these made, but probably a little. I did have one small problem- they made contact with the car body in the upper spring seat area, under compression. I'd get a big thunk going over something like a speed bump. Maybe I was supposed to shorten them when using lowering springs... dunno if that would've given enough clearance though, and it seemed like they could be at a steep angle and contact the trailing arm. There are small notches in the body to clear the OEM end links, so I got out my dremel and enlarged them by a couple mm. Once painted over, I feel good about my solution.

-Big Pair. Very easy to install, with a T45 bit and 18mm socket. I think they did make the chassis feel a little stiffer. A little more "premium"- hah. Worthwhile upgrade, for the cost / ease.

Overall, the car handles very similar to with the SS. I get just enough throttle-lift oversteer. I wish it leaned a little less, but dang it looks so good low!

-Jeff

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
-NM rear bar is a moderate improvement over the SS.
-Jeff

hmmm

Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Ok, got my NM springs, NM rear bar, and Cravenspeed Big Pair installed, on my S with sport suspension. Some notes:

-NM springs are similar to the SS, but a little more forgiving on the freeway. They seem to be more progressive- the first inch of travel is softer. I think that they might even be unnecessarily soft on non-runflat tires- have to wait until these tires wear out to test that. Also the rear is a little lower than the front, to my eye. So I do like them on the freeway, but I think the SS actually drove slightly better on winding roads.

-NM rear bar is a moderate improvement over the SS. The SS bar is 22mm, but hollow. Maybe with the SS springs the difference would be more noticeable. I have it set to full-stiff. I'm sure it's a big improvement over the standard suspension.

-NM endlinks- I also put these in. Pretty surprised that the OEM ones are plastic! Dunno how much difference these made, but probably a little. I did have one small problem- they made contact with the car body in the upper spring seat area, under compression. I'd get a big thunk going over something like a speed bump. Maybe I was supposed to shorten them when using lowering springs... dunno if that would've given enough clearance though, and it seemed like they could be at a steep angle and contact the trailing arm. There are small notches in the body to clear the OEM end links, so I got out my dremel and enlarged them by a couple mm. Once painted over, I feel good about my solution.

-Big Pair. Very easy to install, with a T45 bit and 18mm socket. I think they did make the chassis feel a little stiffer. A little more "premium"- hah. Worthwhile upgrade, for the cost / ease.

Overall, the car handles very similar to with the SS. I get just enough throttle-lift oversteer. I wish it leaned a little less, but dang it looks so good low!

-Jeff
Not sure I really agree with your thoughts here. I have taken a rners at triple the recommended speed and only get roll at the ragged edge of tire grip and I have wider,stickier tires. The SS has a lot more body roll and rides stiffer than NM springs.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 AM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L

-Jeff
I've got the same setup. Dunno about the SS, but good to know that clunk is easily addressed.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 AM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Shortened the end links by 10 threads. Set to full stiffness. Clunking gone. (It was the top of the end link) Alignment on Monday now that it has settled. Lots of variables all at once (springs, sway, links, rims, tires) but very happy with the results. Has reaffirmed my strategy to always do handling first.

Now, if someone would do SS brake lines I would be even happier.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lsmith42
Shortened the end links by 10 threads. Set to full stiffness. Clunking gone. (It was the top of the end link) Alignment on Monday now that it has settled. Lots of variables all at once (springs, sway, links, rims, tires) but very happy with the results. Has reaffirmed my strategy to always do handling first.

Now, if someone would do SS brake lines I would be even happier.
Available in the uk from hel, for £77.00
Just delivered, waiting on caliper colour change
Should be fitted November

Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 AM
#pepper#
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NM rear sway bar

Installed the NM Engineering rear sway bar yesterday. I stayed with the oem end links even though I had purchased a set from NM. I'll see how they hold up before replacing. Overall a straight forward job. The 4 subframe bolts took a little coaxing to get back in place. Removing the plastic covers on the bottom of the trailing arms made it easier to get at the outer subframe bolts. My next autocross event is not until the end of the month. I'm interested in seeing if this change has as big an effect as new lightweight wheels and tires.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Boy wish I had read about the torx sockets. I followed the instructions from NM and used an imperial socket and stripped the heads of 2 bolts.
I have torx sockets now so will replace the bolts.
Huge improvement.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 AM
jordanpryce@gmail.com
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
GREAT, Also anyone wanting to install one make sure you have a set of female torx sockets as MINI is using them on almost everything now.
What sizes (torx) do you recommend?

Thanks,
Jordan

Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanpryce@gmail.com
What sizes (torx) do you recommend?

Thanks,
Jordan
Run to your local Harbor Freight and buy the big kit should have all you need.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-14-2015, 02:41 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Is the swaybar fitting easier or harder on a car with DDC ?
Or am I overthinking this and it's just the same

Fitting stainless steel brake lines and jcw calipers + front poweflex camber adj bushes next week, just wondering if it's worth adding this job whilst it's wheels are off

Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
DDC makes no difference. You don't need to take the shocks off completely. You have to drop the rear sub frame...and I'm thinking that if you are running full s.s. brake lines in the rear you would need to do that you get to the ones that run across the back above the frame. In that case it would make sense to do it at the same time.
Tip: I did my sway bar in my drive on stands and to put the sub frame back I lifted it up with my jack...this makes it really easy. I know others have struggled getting it back to put the bolts in.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
NM Sway Bar for F56 still on backorder?!

Has anyone lately received an NM Sway Bar? Mine has been on backorder for over a month

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM
walkingdrunken
1st Gear
Has anyone done the gt sway bar (25mm)? I'm trying to see if I should look at the 22 or just jump to the 25.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I have inquired of NM as follows:

Dear NM Engineering,

I’m tackling a serious run for the G Street (SCCA Solo) crown, based on last year’s results. I want to cause a fuss by unseating the Focus ST in that class.

Accordingly I am going for the best legal improvements made for the F56 (B38) – which leads me to your door.

Have you any technical data which would allow me to make a confident comparison of the roll resistance created by the following three anti-sway bars?
- OEM: 335068853919
- NM: NM.258846
- NM: NM.258847

Thanks very kindly...

We shall see what we shall see.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Kudos to Terry at NM Engineering!

Originally Posted by cmt52663
I have inquired of NM as follows:

Dear NM Engineering,

I’m tackling a serious run for the G Street (SCCA Solo) crown, based on last year’s results. I want to cause a fuss by unseating the Focus ST in that class.

Accordingly I am going for the best legal improvements made for the F56 (B38) – which leads me to your door.

Have you any technical data which would allow me to make a confident comparison of the roll resistance created by the following three anti-sway bars?
- OEM: 335068853919
- NM: NM.258846
- NM: NM.258847

Thanks very kindly...

We shall see what we shall see.

Cheers,

Charlie
Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your email. We actually did not measure in detail on the roll resistance but we have the stiff-rate for these bars. I hope they help:

OE 33506859891: 298 lb/in
NM 22mm (P1/P2): 400/506 lb/in
NM 25mm (P1/P2): 625/791 lb/in

(P) Hole position.

I run 25mm bar with Bilstein PSS10 coilover at road course tracks and you are able to throttle steer the car easily... Not sure if that is what you are looking for

Thanks,
Jerry T
NM Eng.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:51 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
By the way wise readers, I am crowd-sourcing the best G Street suspension I can find over here on the Gollum thread. All contributions and thrown fruit cheerfully welcomed.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cmt52663
Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your email. We actually did not measure in detail on the roll resistance but we have the stiff-rate for these bars. I hope they help:

OE 33506859891: 298 lb/in
NM 22mm (P1/P2): 400/506 lb/in
NM 25mm (P1/P2): 625/791 lb/in

(P) Hole position.

I run 25mm bar with Bilstein PSS10 coilover at road course tracks and you are able to throttle steer the car easily... Not sure if that is what you are looking for

Thanks,
Jerry T
NM Eng.
OMG actual data!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Just FYI, that OEM part number is for the normal suspension on the One and Cooper, not the Cooper S or the OEM sport suspension.

Quick Reply: Suspension NM sway bar