Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension What to do with my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Jroq
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with my suspension

Hello all,
I have a 02 R53 that I bought about 6 months ago, I noticed the other day that the inside of my tires are wearing very badly the rears are worse. I bought it lowered (not the best idea). So I did some looking and fount that I have Apex springs that according to the web they lower 1.2 inches all around.

Here's my problem, I have a limited budget since now i need to fix the problem, get an alingment, and new tires. I found Tien H spring that say they lower 0.5 in he back and 0.6 in the front, would I still need to get adjustable LCA's or is there enough factory adjustment to make those work? I wouldnt mind raising the car a little it makes quite a racket when i go over bums in the road and I can hear the front air damn scrape often

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Tire wear: All MINIs should have their tires rotated every 5K miles regardless. There is built in negative camber on the rear member.
Suspension: Lowering is mainly for cosmetics. Read the forums enough and you'll come to the conclusion that it causes more problems than it solves. For the most enjoyable ride and the most fun on the twisties and for the best bang for the buck mod you can make on a MINI is OEM springs, KONI FSD struts and a 19 or 22 MM adjustable rear sway bar. AND NO RUNFLATS! Dig thru the Vendor Directory and find one that will have the FSDs on sale and you'll often find the RSB on sale too. Springs should be easy to locate from the Marketplace.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Jroq
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i was thinking about finding factory springs and putting them back on. Im sure my shocks/struts are shot cause they are factory (at least the rears). I guess thats the best way to go. I dont have run flats I have some super high performance summer tires and they suck living in the northwest with all the rain here. I guess ill start my hunt there. Thanks