Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension s/e 20mm lowering springs from minisport.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 PM
ugly_duckling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s/e 20mm lowering springs from minisport.com

NAM Community,

http://www.minisport.com/new-mini-sh...n-product.html

Has anybody heard of these lowering springs. I read about them in GoMini magazine. I have lots and lots of speedbumbs where I work. I want the lowered look but not the worries of always scapping. 20mm seems the most modest compared to the rest.

And if the you have no input on these above mentioned springs, do you have any input on ALTA springs whichs seems to be the next least lowering spiring?

Thanks,

ugly-duckling

Old 06-10-2004, 10:43 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
20mm is a minimal drop (5/8"?)

Originally Posted by ugly_duckling
NAM Community,

http://www.minisport.com/new-mini-sh...n-product.html

Has anybody heard of these lowering springs. I read about them in GoMini magazine. I have lots and lots of speedbumbs where I work. I want the lowered look but not the worries of always scapping. 20mm seems the most modest compared to the rest.

And if the you have no input on these above mentioned springs, do you have any input on ALTA springs whichs seems to be the next least lowering spiring?
ugly-duckling
I have not heard of SE and they are from a UK source.
If we look in the NAM sponsors we find from coolnewamerica.com
http://www.coolnewamerica.com/produc...?id=60&type=12
Eibach lowering springs 20mm for Cooper for $174.40

Other sources also sell the Eibach Pro kit for more with more drop for either MC or MCS (must specify which).

If you are considering Alta ($179.95 on sale) then check with outmotoring-
http://outmotoring.com/alta_sport_springs.html
For MC
Drop 1.5" front and 1.0" rear
For MCS
Drop .95" front and .75" rear

If you want close to the stock ride then both Alta and Eibach are good to look at. Try finding someone that has one of these installed in a MINI and go for a ride. Results do vary from MC to MCS due to weights and setups being different.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:27 AM
ugly_duckling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimal drop -

Nam Community

Need your honest opinion do you think 20mm is a waste of money/effort. Or in other words if you are going to do it you minus well do 30mm?

I was assuming theses springs would have superior comfort vs H Sports and be second above the competition in performace. I assumed that after reading GoMini review on them. Seems like all the Brits in the UK like the 20 mm ride heights. And above all I want springs that have a SMOOTHER ride then stock.
Its like lowered but not.

If I only knew how the Alta springs ride . Descriptions at the sponsors site don't convince me. Does any one have any testimonials about Alta Springs. They seem the cheepest and have a modest drop. Another plus is 7 Ent in Auburn sell them.

Alright peace out - Have a good weekend!!:smile:

ugly_duckling

PS - thanks Minihune for prompt informational replies. You make NAM a true resource!!! If I make enough maybe I can retire in Hawaii. Mahalo - did i spell that right?

Last edited by ugly_duckling; 06-11-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Springs? Looks vs performance vs ride quality.

Originally Posted by ugly_duckling
Nam Community

Need your honest opinion do you think 20mm is a waste of money/effort. Or in other words if you are going to do it you minus well do 30mm?

I was assuming theses springs would have superior comfort vs H Sports and be second above the competition in performace. I assumed that after reading GoMini review on them. Seems like all the Brits in the UK like the 20 mm ride heights. And above all I want springs that have a SMOOTHER ride then stock.
Its like lowered but not.

If I only knew how the Alta springs ride . Descriptions at the sponsors site don't convince me. Does any one have any testimonials about Alta Springs. They seem the cheepest and have a modest drop. Another plus is 7 Ent in Auburn sell them.
How much to lower the MINI is your choice from less than an inch to an inch to 1.5 inches or more. But the more the drop the more likely the ride quality will decrease while the handling in corners would be enhanced.

For street driving the 1" drop seems to work well. But the other component is tires. You can choose a set of tires that are slightly taller diameter and get the wheel to fill up the wheel well a bit better along with a smaller 20mm drop and do OK.

In my opinion the smaller drop isn't really worth the trouble for a MCS. The stock suspension is already reasonably good. I'd go for wheel upgrades with non runflat tires that would fill the wheel well and provide for better performance and smoothness. Talk to Alex@tirerack to discuss options.
For the MC the slight drop and stiffer springs might help a little or you can go with springs and rear swaybar from a stock MCS that has upgraded to aftermarket springs and rear swaybar. This effectively gives you the MC with sport suspension plus which is stiffer so handling is a bit rougher but better when cornering.

Some good past threads to look at-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=springs
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=springs

For the alta springs (made by H&R for alta). Try talking to Outmotoring, I know they have those installed on a MINI.

Always consider the wheel and tire setup as well as springs when getting opinions about ride quality for any suspension upgrade. Best is to take a test drive. And consider the roads you drive on- smooth or potholed? If mostly smooth (streets and highways) then it doesn't matter, the H-sports will work. But if potholed and poorly maintained then softer springs and less drop might be a good thing.

What is your opinion of your current MINI suspension given the roads you drive on now? Do you feel it is rough, smooth, cornering OK?