Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Want to lower... worried about axle and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thisshouldwork
No additional info, it seems to be luck of the draw. I’ll be pulling the trigger on one of the options I mentioned above. I should shoot an email off to Way @ WMW and see if he has an opinion on the topic.

How is the ride settling in with the 1.2” drop? Did you cut the bump stops to add a little more travel? Also were you able to dial in the rear camber without buying adjustable links? I understand the R55, R56 has a little camber available to adjust.
That's a bummer. I just bought a CV shaft with very high hopes of it being the culprit. It's only money right?! Haha... Sadly.

The ride is great actually. The Mach V's were stated as one of the stiffer progressive rate springs. The ride is still like my SS set up but so much more compliant. I wish I could have been able to drop it further but I notice that when the drop rates are the same for front and rear the rear looks saggy with a full tank of gas. The 1.0" drop in the rear helps keep the saggy look at bay.

I did not cut the bump stops actually, instructions went either way. I chose to not cut them.

The OEM camber bolts worked just fine. They had enough in them to keep all factory specs obtainable again.

Overall very pleased for $186 brand new from Mach V.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM
thisshouldwork
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myR56S
That's a bummer. I just bought a CV shaft with very high hopes of it being the culprit. It's only money right?! Haha... Sadly.
So after installing the CV Shaft you have no improvment? If it is truly the cause being a worn joint then a new shaft should solve the issue but it may require both side being replaced. I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

I keep telling myself I need to play it safe and just go with the Magens so I can adjust accordingly to minimize the vibration if I have that issue.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear

So after installing the CV Shaft you have no improvment? If it is truly the cause being a worn joint then a new shaft should solve the issue but it may require both side being replaced. I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

I keep telling myself I need to play it safe and just go with the Magens so I can adjust accordingly to minimize the vibration if I have that issue.
Sorry if I mislead you. I just bought it and going to install soon.

My goal is to have a set of H&R coilovers

Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Xwelder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Synergize
Can we see a pic of how low you went? I'm thinking of lowering my Justa too but I don't know whether to buy springs or coilovers.
The NM springs dropped the back 1" and the front only about 3/4". I pulled the fronts back out and cut 1/4 coil off. That got me 1" total drop on the front. That is what this picture shows. I'm still not happy with the stance though. I want the front another 1/4" lower so I'm going to cut another 1/4 cool off the fronts
Name:  CD6402ED-4AFC-4796-B944-04A52CA75208_zpsxk0s6muj.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  209.0 KB

Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Synergize
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xwelder

The NM springs dropped the back 1" and the front only about 3/4". I pulled the fronts back out and cut 1/4 coil off. That got me 1" total drop on the front. That is what this picture shows. I'm still not happy with the stance though. I want the front another 1/4" lower so I'm going to cut another 1/4 cool off the fronts
So cutting the nm springs didn't give you any shaky driving? Because I'm going to go with springs and if theyre not low enough I want to cut them. I'm hoping to go down about 2 inches

Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear

So cutting the nm springs didn't give you any shaky driving? Because I'm going to go with springs and if theyre not low enough I want to cut them. I'm hoping to go down about 2 inches
Cutting springs? I thought this was an act of kids who couldn't afford to lower their Honda's.

Just a coil? Tell me more ;-)

Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Synergize
1st Gear

Cutting springs? I thought this was an act of kids who couldn't afford to lower their Honda's.

Just a coil? Tell me more ;-)
Well buying lowering springs only gets you so far, 1.5 inches at the most. And cutting a spring will get me the extra half inch I want. Coilovers are a bit pricey but I'd rather get a new set of shoes for my cooper before I purchase them.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear

Well buying lowering springs only gets you so far, 1.5 inches at the most. And cutting a spring will get me the extra half inch I want. Coilovers are a bit pricey but I'd rather get a new set of shoes for my cooper before I purchase them.
While I can fabricate and do all sorts of cool modifications to things I have to ask what and how did you do that so it sits in the spring perch properly?

I've always been told this was a no no.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Synergize
1st Gear

While I can fabricate and do all sorts of cool modifications to things I have to ask what and how did you do that so it sits in the spring perch properly?

I've always been told this was a no no.
I haven't ordered my springs yet, XWelder is the one that bought after market springs and cut them

Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear

I haven't ordered my springs yet, XWelder is the one that bought after market springs and cut them
Copy that

Old 03-01-2014, 04:01 AM
Xwelder
1st Gear
To all, cutting springs is fine if you have springs that can be cut. Our coils have one tangential end, and that is the end that can be cut. I used the info in the following link to help me understand how and how much to cut.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/cutting-coil-springs/

Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Minidaho
2nd Gear
Only considering higher mileage minis (60k+) and a mild drop (1.2) can we get more data points from folks? Stats (miles when lowed) + (drop) and yes or no on the vibration.

I was waiting until I had to replace my stock shocks and while I was under the car throwing on some springs to close up the wheel gap, but if a vibration is a real possible result then that’s is a deal breaker.

Can more folks chime in here and for those that got a vibration is the only solution, aside from going back to stock height, to replace the axils? Can the axil wear in to the new height without issue?
Lowered 1.4" (or so - I didn't measure before and after) after 42K miles using H&R springs and Koni yellows. Definite axle vibration between 22 - 30 mph, mostly in 2nd gear.