Suspension Read through the thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Read through the thread

Hey everyone, well I have been a member for a while but just traded my 2012 mini cooper S for the countryman....so im new to this part of the forum...I read through this thread and it has been helpful ...to a point ,however there is alot of banter back & forth i was hopeing for a little more specifics as to the comparisons of the the springs avaiable. I have seen alot of negative response to using the NM springs but people keep buying and using them?If the ride is that bad ....why is this?also more pics in my opinion would be an added treat! thanks look forward to getting more info regarding this mod.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You traded a 2012 MCS for a Countryman?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Question yup

Originally Posted by Melangell
You traded a 2012 MCS for a Countryman?
neede the room just more practical for me...............why are u hating?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Not hating, just confused as to why having driven a Countryman once. I understand the need for space but wasn't that apparent when you bought the 2012 MCS? Why is it that so many people on NAM throw out the "hater" card so quickly? If you are going to throw it, you should use better grammar, sentence structure, punctuation among other things.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Thumbs down oh here we go

Not hating, just confused as to why having driven a Countryman once. I understand the need for space but wasn't that apparent when you bought the 2012 MCS? Why is it that so many people on NAM throw out the "hater" card so quickly? If you are going to throw it, you should use better grammar, sentence structure, punctuation among other things.
I didnt realize this was a grammer class.... I thought it was a forum where we can just talk about things, modifications we've made, or maybe give advise and suggestions about our cars and not worry if we flub a spelling or use an abreviation or slang..............really??? if that is what you joined this forum for (to correct everyone) I think I can go out on a limb, speak for everyone & say you should really spend your time elsewhere. If that's not the case then how about giving some constructive comments regarding Mini's regardless of the model they chose to purchase. That's my .02

Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rayzmini
I didnt realize this was a grammer class.... I thought it was a forum where we can just talk about things, modifications we've made, or maybe give advise and suggestions about our cars and not worry if we flub a spelling or use an abreviation or slang..............really??? if that is what you joined this forum for (to correct everyone) I think I can go out on a limb, speak for everyone & say you should really spend your time elsewhere. If that's not the case then how about giving some constructive comments regarding Mini's regardless of the model they chose to purchase. That's my .02
You're the only one going out of your way to 'correct' everyone, he asked a simple question that you evidently took offense to.

As to your grammar, it's not only difficult to take someone with poor grammar and spelling seriously but it also takes a bit of unnecessary effort to 'decode' what you post. I'm not saying that it's unwelcome but do expect it to be pointed out when they take offense to something you say.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 AM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by Dark
You're the only one going out of your way to 'correct' everyone, he asked a simple question that you evidently took offense to.

As to your grammar, it's not only difficult to take someone with poor grammar and spelling seriously but it also takes a bit of unnecessary effort to 'decode' what you post. I'm not saying that it's unwelcome but do expect it to be pointed out when they take offense to something you say.
Decode? are you serious? I accidently added an extra 'E' on the word "need" this is unreal.... nevermind, have your fun I still am going to post what i want, and how I want thats how we do it here in the USA......

Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Thumbs down shake my head.........

And as to answer your question, peoples lives change, from year to year having the room was obviously not a priority when I bought my MCS, however it is now so thats why I traded it in. The way you made your statement was as though you were suggesting that it was a mistake

Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rayzmini
Decode? are you serious? I accidently added an extra 'E' on the word "need" this is unreal.... nevermind, have your fun I still am going to post what i want, and how I want thats how we do it here in the USA......
I'm American (deployed to Germany) and last I recall most of the folks 'doing it in the USA' were educated enough to write proper sentences.

You're the only one in this thread getting upset and for no good reason. Stop acting like a child.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM
xenor
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to add fuel to the fire but you're on a public forum where people will say what they want when they want, don't take anything personal or retaliate or it will be a viscous cycle that will never end

But to get back on track....

I personally have NM Springs on my '12 R60SX and ABSOLUTELY love them! 0 issues what-so-ever, and super smooth ride.....I've read a lot of negative reviews, and MY personal opinion is it's a matter of installation. I've talked to a few people who have installed them who know a lot about suspension, and they've had nothing but good things to say. Others, have had someone else do them and they come out to have issues.....I suppose its a crap shoot. I installed mine after only putting 400 miles on my Countryman and have nothing but good experiences and good things to say. The original springs were good don't get me wrong, but these are just so much softer and makes it a much more comfortable ride...only downfall is that I'm now too low for the car wash, so back to hand washing...which isnt new from when I had to hand wash my slammed R56 S on v-maxx coils.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and MY personal opinion is it's a matter of installation
There is no magical way to install the springs differently that make them perform different. Either they're correctly installed, or they are not. Swapping the OEM springs out for the NM springs, cutting the bumpstops, and re-indexing the LCA bushings, and re-aligning is a pretty basic procedure. There isn't much that can be screwed up, or installed wrong.

The difference in feedback (about the NM springs) is merely from perspective. If you've driven lowered cars all your life, as I have (and I believe you may have as well) then the NM springs are no big deal. They actually ride a hell of a lot nicer than most of the crazy-low cars that I've had over the years. However, my 50 year old wife has spent the past 35 years driving "normal" unmodified cars, so to her the ride is rough compared to everything she knows about cars. It's all based on your viewpoint, and everybody's is different.

I have seen alot of negative response to using the NM springs but people keep buying and using them?If the ride is that bad ....why is this?
Because up until very recently there weren't other options. For the money the NM springs aren't bad. NM did a great job of getting the drop just right, so the car looks good for not a big investment. And like I said above; if you're used to driving a lowered car then the ride quality of the NM springs is no big deal.

The KW coilovers, at $2,400, are overpriced (you can get a high quality coilover kit for most cars now a days for under $1500) so you don't see these often. However, now that the Megan coilovers just came out, and you can pick them up for $800, it looks like there is finally a viable contender for the NM springs. If you want to go lower than the NM springs go, and/or you want a smooth, comfortable ride, then the Megans are the way to go.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Talking Thanks

Thanks so much for the feed back......it was very helpful.