Talking

Originally Posted by xenor
Yep, with H-sport arms.
Just curious what did the springs arms alignment and install run you total

Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have there sport suspension still? I'll trade you either HR or NM springs!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 AM
xenor
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally some (iPhone) pics of the new stance.

Name:  IMG_0276.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  156.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  86.1 KB

Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM
xenor
4th Gear
Updated Post 2 with some details of the install.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Really like! thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Hey xenor

Now that it has been a couple months since your post....how is your ride & are you still happy with the springs? any updates / feedback is appreciated thanx!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM
xenor
4th Gear
The ride is firmer but about as smooth as the stock non-sport suspension. I think with these springs, the stock shocks are fine to use, so long as they're low mileage (mine were 4k miles). I am happy with the ride and reduced body roll. The vehicle will still benifit greatly from a stiffer rear sway bar, but this can be done later.

The car is not bouncy, nor does it rebound absurdly over bumps. Coming from a 2008 GTI with H&R SuperSport Springs and Bilstein Sport shocks, this car rides similar, but a little less harsh. *Very* large dips at speed will throw you a bit whether you're in the front or rear, but it's par for the course for a lowered car.

After the drop, I think the biggest difference is the alignment I had done. It was a semi-spec alignment meant to balance comfort and spirited driving. No more does the car jerk over large bumps/potholes and it's less dart-y and a more relaxed drive, but still aggressive enough to have fun.

I am completely satisfied with the run-flat tires despite other reviews. I think the harder sidewall makes the car feel less mushy, but does harsh up the bumps, which I think bothers some people.

My assessment, H&R Sport Springs for the Mini Countryman deliver. They're a moderate drop (I would actually prefer a 2" drop to stance the car properly) and a firmer spring without compromising, but instead, improving, every-day drivability.

Note: Adjustable rear lower control arms will be required to get the alignment into spec.

The following users liked this post:
Tussen (02-03-2023)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Talking Thanx

Now this is what forums are all about! It is soo refreshing to have someone state there opinion along with giving insite as to how a product works so that others can make an informed choice on whether or not to use a product. Thank you very much for this thread and your responses to my questions. Im sure I can speak for all here on NAM when I say it is appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
Tussen (02-03-2023)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
xenor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rayzmini
Just curious what did the springs arms alignment and install run you total
The alignment was the only labor I paid. I think that ended up being $90.

Without doing the spring and arm install myself, the install charge would be (from different quotes I got) around $500-$550 with a stock alignment (not including the arms, since when I called, I didn't do arms yet).

The install can be done at home with hand tools, especially the arms. They were simple bolt off, bolt on. The springs required some special tools, and knowhow, to get everything off, but there are several tutorials, including my partial tutorial to help you. I do however, understand that the springs might be more than some people could tackle or have time for.

Since I did the install of all my parts at home, my total labor was around $90 and a six pack of beer for my friend who assisted.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
xenor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rayzmini
Now this is what forums are all about! It is soo refreshing to have someone state there opinion along with giving insite as to how a product works so that others can make an informed choice on whether or not to use a product. Thank you very much for this thread and your responses to my questions. Im sure I can speak for all here on NAM when I say it is appreciated!
Well, I do appreciate that myself. You have to take reviews like mine with a grain of salt. Some people might prefer a different ride, stance, look, or handling.

That said, I hope it helps people as they begin to "you-ify" their Mini Countryman.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Talking Yup

Agreed!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am about 2 hours into trying to get the front right strut out we took a break for the night. The DAMN strut wont come out after all bolts are off. I don't have a strut spreader and wedge with hammer kept slipping and aren't working.

Any ideas?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
xenor
4th Gear
Be sure the strut bolt is all the way out.

Try a socket wrench 1/4" to 3/8" adapter in the slot. Turn it 45 degrees to act as a strut spreader. Without the strut spreader you may not be able to get the strut out.

I used a brass drift and a #3 mini sledge to get mine to budge after inserting the strut spreader.

If you have a wedge try inserting it different ways. Look at the strut from the back (make sure the car is supported). The shape of that tab might not permit you to insert a big wedge. You might try a punch in a thick diameter also, inserted from the bottom going up.

Call autozone/pepboys/advance to see if they have a strut spreader. Long shot but maybe tgey will.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
The socket adapter worked and also used a pick wedged in. The socket adapter was brilliant though. Thanks.

Springs, Rear Sway Bar, Lower Control Arms, and Front Strut Bar took total of about 6 hours. But saved me about $600 in labor by doing it myself.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 PM
xenor
4th Gear
Glad it helped. It was an old trick.

I did the install myself for the same reason. 600 bucks of labor.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
I am noticing slight knocking sound from mostly rear but all four at slow speed and turning back and forth. I verified everything is tight. Ideas?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 PM
2fysh
1st Gear
Xenor, do you have a link for the Alta PDF instructions that you referenced in this post? I'm going to tackle this mod myself as well. Anything else i should know before the attempt? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 PM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Awesome write up, im gonna do this myself in the coming weeks will post my thoughts also.

Kevin

Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by xenor
Glad it helped. It was an old trick.

I did the install myself for the same reason. 600 bucks of labor.
Xenor,

for the strut spreader bit you got, was it sufficient and easy to spread the knuckles? I am wondering if I should go with the beefier spreader tool that looks like a "M-shaped" tool.

Kevin

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So I understand that the ride is firmer with the new springs but is it less harsh. I installed NM springs and koni sports on my 09 MCS and it firmed up the ride some but made it ride SO MUCH BETTER because the harshness at bumps and bridge seams was gone. Made the care feel more substantial. Is that the case with the H&Rs? I don't want a firmer ride that is still just as rough and harsh on the beat up roads around here.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 PM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooperjunkie
So I understand that the ride is firmer with the new springs but is it less harsh. I installed NM springs and koni sports on my 09 MCS and it firmed up the ride some but made it ride SO MUCH BETTER because the harshness at bumps and bridge seams was gone. Made the care feel more substantial. Is that the case with the H&Rs? I don't want a firmer ride that is still just as rough and harsh on the beat up roads around here.
Thats exactly how i feel with my Megan Coilovers on R60, u described it spot on. Why is it the stock non sport suspension so harsh when going over bumps and holes? Is it insufficient shocks?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:05 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
"So I understand that the ride is firmer with the new springs but is it less harsh. I installed NM springs and koni sports on my 09 MCS and it firmed up the ride some but made it ride SO MUCH BETTER because the harshness at bumps and bridge seams was gone. Made the care feel more substantial. Is that the case with the H&Rs? I don't want a firmer ride that is still just as rough and harsh on the beat up roads around here."

Anyone have a comment on this?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM
monkiboy
1st Gear
Reviving this old thread.

Still want to hear more feedback from those who have H&R springs installed. Having a hard time deciding between H&R and NM Eng springs and my main concern is ride comfort. Hope to hear from more of you with personal experience.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by monkiboy
Reviving this old thread.

Still want to hear more feedback from those who have H&R springs installed. Having a hard time deciding between H&R and NM Eng springs and my main concern is ride comfort. Hope to hear from more of you with personal experience.
Ride comfort go with NM.. just make sure you get control arms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Review and Detailed Install: H&R Spring Install for Mini Countryman