Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension pics of bagged minis

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
My point is that you're offended that people "ruin" the handling with bags, but youre running cheap coils with a reputation for poor handling primarily chosen to get low as **** without spending much.

From a handling perspective, the S has no performance edge over a base, and we are talking about suspension, after all.
I would love examples/links to people claiming these coilovers handle poorly. I have never heard of anyone saying that and I have spoken to so many people first hand with these coilovers. All I know is that the car handled a lot better over stock with my H&R springs, and these handle even better than the springs, so what's that tell you? Plus I am very happy with the comfort level and the handling of these coilovers. Hell yeah they're inexpensive, and hell YES they absolutely do get low.... I still am failing to see the problem of either of the things you claim are bad about these coilovers.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with the VMAXX, I'm sure people riding on bags are happy with that too. I just find it hypocritical that you're slagging others for ruining the handling of a sports car by putting the "wrong" suspension on it, considering you're slammed on cheap coilovers and running big spacers, etc. Many would argue running so low even on an expensive setup ruins the performance and suspension dynamic on such a car.

I haven't ridden on VMAXX, but while researching which setup I wanted for my car, I came across many recommendations from vendors (who carried them, no less.) to avoid them because of poor ride quality and sub-par handling compared to even slightly more expensive setups. I also found many posts from users who had them start to wear out or fail before too long.

The consensus I saw was that they are primarily for getting LOW, looks over function, which is exactly what you're ragging on bags for.

I'm not going to hunt down a bunch posts to convince you that vmaxx is bad. I'm not on a mission to convince you here... I just don't think you're in a position to be judging others for their suspension choices. However, here is one of my first google hits for "vmaxx issue" from some VW board:

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showt......-Story-Pics

Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
I would love examples/links to people claiming these coilovers handle poorly. I have never heard of anyone saying that and I have spoken to so many people first hand with these coilovers. All I know is that the car handled a lot better over stock with my H&R springs, and these handle even better than the springs, so what's that tell you? Plus I am very happy with the comfort level and the handling of these coilovers. Hell yeah they're inexpensive, and hell YES they absolutely do get low.... I still am failing to see the problem of either of the things you claim are bad about these coilovers.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
By bagged are we talking about air ride suspension? If so, seems more suited to a Caddy or Buick than a MINI, but that's just my opinion.
Let's just go back to that quote earlier in the thread said by you. Seems you agree bagged setups are not appropriate on a MINI Cooper, so why the arguing that they are appropriate on a MINI Cooper? That is my sole point here, and earlier you said you agreed with it.

Hypocritical? I believe this is what you're being right now if you look at the quote by you above. The things you keep bringing up are how low of quality my coilovers are, yet you have never had any first hand experiences with them, which is what I don't understand. In my opinion they handle incredibly well, and that is something I have experienced first hand. Your argument is null.

My car has an extremely low center of gravity and a wider track width due to my spacers... it is false to say that spacers hurt my handling. Ever seen a widebody porsche rolling around? Wider track width makes for better handling, less lateral load transfer which in turns gives my car slightly more grip, but in no way hurts my handling like you claim...???

Looks over function? Please. My car is low and still has plenty of function if I were to go to a track and even back country roads. My lowness in no way affects the function of my car. Speedbumps, yes, DRIVING and HANDLING- NO.

Any more points you'd like to discuss?

I'm glad you're happy with the VMAXX, I'm sure people riding on bags are happy with that too. I just find it hypocritical that you're slagging others for ruining the handling of a sports car by putting the "wrong" suspension on it, considering you're slammed on cheap coilovers and running big spacers, etc. Many would argue running so low even on an expensive setup ruins the performance and suspension dynamic on such a car.

I haven't ridden on VMAXX, but while researching which setup I wanted for my car, I came across many recommendations from vendors (who carried them, no less.) to avoid them because of poor ride quality and sub-par handling compared to even slightly more expensive setups. I also found many posts from users who had them start to wear out or fail before too long.

The consensus I saw was that they are primarily for getting LOW, looks over function, which is exactly what you're ragging on bags for.

I'm not going to hunt down a bunch posts to convince you that vmaxx is bad. I'm not on a mission to convince you here... I just don't think you're in a position to be judging others for their suspension choices. However, here is one of my first google hits for "vmaxx issue" from some VW board:

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showt......-Story-Pics

Last edited by RedAndBlackMiniS; 09-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I don't think bags are great, but someone on Chinese coilovers had no room to trash talk anyone, that's all im saying. Big spacers don't really improve handling, either. I'm glad you like them, but Way and other knowledgeable guys on here have warned me and others away from VMAX. I don't need first hand experience to know you get what you pay for, and to trust those with experience with a lot of setups.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Whatever, duuude. I'm on vmaxx's and I'm happy with the handling and the versatility of them, and would recommend them highly to anyone that asked... so what's that tell you? I think that says a lot.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
That doesn't really say anything. Most people like what they have. I really like my ST's, but if I ran Ohlins or something for awhile I might think differently about how coilovers should perform. I think this is an arena where money equals quality. People running airbags will tell you they handle great, too. You seem to think you're some kind of authority on what "ruins" the handling of a car (bags.) vs. what doesn't (slammed on cheap coils.) which I think is ridiculous.

Also, I came across a thread where you were complaining about how noisy they are:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-noises.html

And here's another thread about someone having issues with springs binding:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-binding.html

Anyway, I've dedicated enough energy to derailing this thread now. Unsubscribing and moving on. Cheers.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ever hear of suspension travel, and geometry? When you dump your car flat on its nuts and bolts, both of theese go right out the window.

A car that is on a static drop with maby half an inch of up travel before it slams into the bumpstops or botoms out the shock is going to handle like a turd on any kind of track. EVERYTHING on the stock suspension is made to work at stock height, with an inch of wiggle room before you need to start correcting everything that is being thrown off the lower you go. Its not just throwing off the camber that is semi easily fixable, it starts messing with the actual hardware. Before you know it your end links are to long making your sway bars useless, your ball joints are so close to their maximum angles that they will bind up, you loose all of your travel so even your cheap coilovers arent doing anything, and the angles of the suspension arms become less and less affective at balancing and distributing a load the flatter they become.
You want to tell people that all of this has no affect on handling or that it will make it "better" than stock? Maby you should educate yourself on this subject a little more.
Spacers alone dont do much if anything. Yes it gives a little wider stance, but is an inch wider really going to be noticable... Nope.
Dumping your car on it's *****, weather static, or bags, will actually hurt your handiling unless you can retain the geometry of how everything is ment to work. Dont think that having your car sit 3" lower than stock (as an example) is going to lower your center of gravity by 3" either. It might come down a few millimeters but not enough to see much benefit from it.

I have grown pretty fond of slammed show cars over the years. The key word there is SHOW... (Something to look at but is barely usable, even though people try all the time) Would I expect a car that sits on the ground with no travel to do anything on a racetrack, or up in the canyons? NO! Why... I know how this stuff works.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Actually, this was not an issue at all with the coilovers- I just needed adjustable endlinks and it solved the problem instantly.

People are sometimes going to have issues with any set of coilovers, I promise you that. It just happens. I have a huge circle of friends that are into cars and several people I have met at car shows that had noisy coilovers- crazy high quality, and they were noisy. Hell, I have a friend with a 2009 GT3 RS and his STOCK adjustable suspension make noise!

And no-- I don't think I'm some sort of authority on what handles "great" and what doesn't- I'm simply giving examples from personal experience, from driving several "high performance" air-ride set ups and daily driving/tracking my car with vmaxx coilovers, which is something you do not have (experience) for either airbags or for vmaxx coilovers. Just saying.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
You really where right in one part of that...

I'm simply giving examples from personal experience, from driving several "high performance" air-ride set ups and daily driving/tracking my car with vmaxx coilovers, which is something you do not have (experience) for either airbags or for vmaxx coilovers. Just saying.
No I dont have any experience with either product. One because I no longer modify my car's for looks, and two, I really dont trust my life (or anybody elses life on the track) to the cheapest thing that pops up on Google, or to a suspension system that is so complex that one pinhole that goes un noticed can lead to sudden total failure.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
You really where right in one part of that...

No I dont have any experience with either product. One because I no longer modify my car's for looks, and two, I really dont trust my life (or anybody elses life on the track) to the cheapest thing that pops up on Google, or to a suspension system that is so complex that one pinhole that goes un noticed can lead to sudden total failure.
That was directed at Danny...

Oh, please You're acting like it's a death sentence and the end of the world that I am running coilovers that are about $200 less than most of the coilovers available to MINIs... A risk to the other people on the track? LOL give me a break.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was directed at Danny...

Oh, please You're acting like it's a death sentence and the end of the world that I am running coilovers that are about $200 less than most of the coilovers available to MINIs... A risk to the other people on the track? LOL give me a break.
$200 less then most coilovers? Most meaning only one other available brand?

Vmaxx go for ~$650.
To my knowledge the next cheapest are Megans at ~$850.
Then you get ST and BC both at ~$1000
H&R Street and Koni at ~$1200.
V1 and H&R RSS at ~$1500.
V2 and PSS9 ~$1800
Ohlins, Cross, AST, V3 $2000+

The "standard" coilover for the Mini aftermarket is a toss up between KW and H&R both of which cost full on twice or more then the Vmaxx.

You are tossing around a lot of opinions and next to no facts. At least not accurate ones.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
I believe when I bought them 8 months ago they were about $800- I could be wrong about that. That's going off memory. God forbid I am off $150!!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
A risk to the other people on the track? LOL give me a break.
Dont know what kind of "Track" you have had your car on, but... If something like this>>> Name:  IMAG0090.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  43.8 KB
happened at 100+ MPH the average driver with minimal experiance would loose controll, becoming a hasard as you are plowing toward the infield. Yes that constitutes as a risk to other drivers around you doing 100+MPH aswell.

Theese are not the first pics of a broken Vmaxx that I have ever seen. It actually happened to a few old forum members here, I just really dont care enough to proove the point to you to look.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
I believe when I bought them 8 months ago they were about $800- I could be wrong about that. That's going off memory. God forbid I am off $150!!
You got a bad deal then. They have been selling for ~$650 since they came available for the R56 around 4 years ago. BTW yes $150 is a quite a lot to be off when the original figure used was $200.

Last edited by Creeve; 09-11-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Dont know what kind of "Track" you have had your car on, but... If something like this>>>
happened at 100+ MPH the average driver with minimal experiance would loose controll, becoming a hasard as you are plowing toward the infield. Yes that constitutes as a risk to other drivers around you doing 100+MPH aswell.

Theese are not the first pics of a broken Vmaxx that I have ever seen. It actually happened to a few old forum members here, I just really dont care enough to proove the point to you to look.

Hmm, mind posting the names/the thread where these "old members" are? I'd like to hear it from them...

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Creeve
You got a bad deal then. They have been selling for ~$650 since they came available for the R56 around 4 years ago. BTW yes $150 is a quite a lot to be off when the original figure used was $200.
Whatever, dude. Now you are just looking for things to get up my *** about. Unless you're going to provide actual plausible information to argue with me about, like D.ick's Garage is, and not nitpicking at the small stuff like this then I'd appreciate you left the unproductive comments out.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Whatever, dude. Now you are just looking for things to get up my *** about. Unless you're going to provide actual plausible information to argue with me about, like D.ick's Garage is, and not nitpicking at the small stuff like this then I'd appreciate you left the unproductive comments out.
You can argue about the subjective handling and ride comfort characteristics of Vmaxx all day. In the end the only tangible reason to buy Vmaxx over any other brand is the low price. So accurately representing the price in comparison to the rest of the market could not be more pertinent to the conversation.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
ericpgt93
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is "pics of bagged minis" people, not "arguing and bickering over bagged minis".

Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Agreed I love to see me some slamed show cars!

Oh and by the way, if I where to build another show car, I would slam an R50 down on some Vmaxx coils. They will go rediculously low and are cheap enough to buy a second set to canablize when the inevetable happens. Given the intended use of such a car, they would be a good choice.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minian
Wow! Can someone tell me what rims are on this slammed thing? Are they Volks?
A slammed MINI with gorgeous girls in it, great. They don't deserve any negative comments. This pic is hot.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im just going to fuel the fire here and say I love my VMAXX coils. I know they arent the best coilovers out there but they work within my means. Ive always wanted a dumped car and dont have any inclination to do track driving since this is my DD and I'd rather not cause any extra unnecessary wear on the car. I do love how low they go and they definitely do make the car handle way better than stock. If you compare prices, the VMAXX coils are about as expensive as a set of lowering springs and shocks and offer some adjustability. And for my purposes thats all I could ask for.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
I wonder what a bagged R58 would look like dropped? All the bantering aside which I filter out rather quickly when reading this thread, it IS interesting to learn more about air suspensions on Minis. I never had them before, but if it is true and you can get similar performance out of a bagged suspension to a traditional coilover set, and money wasn't an option, then it makes perfect sense to me. I think if I was going to get the top-of-the-line coilovers and spend $2500 or so on them, after reading this thread, I would seriously consider saving a bit more and getting a bagged setup instead, if only for the on-the-fly adjustments you can make to your car.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
nathanrw
1st Gear
I personally have Vmaxx and don't find anything wrong with them as a daily coilover. They are good for if you want to go low. Anything else, they're useless. So they have their perks depending on what you are using them for. My car will literally NEVER see the track. So who cares if I am running Vmaxx or not? Sure they're a little noisy but you can easily fix that if you care that much. It personally doesn't bother me.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nathanrw
I personally have Vmaxx and don't find anything wrong with them as a daily coilover. They are good for if you want to go low. Anything else, they're useless. So they have their perks depending on what you are using them for. My car will literally NEVER see the track. So who cares if I am running Vmaxx or not? Sure they're a little noisy but you can easily fix that if you care that much. It personally doesn't bother me.
I agree with the never tracking part, but the noise? I've not noticed any noise from mine. Maybe I got lucky

Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 PM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Unfortunately you have to build your own strut/bag setup because no one offers a quality MINI setup at this point. I'm using a setup that I pieced together and had custom made for me.
Rally, i occasionally read about your build threads in regards to your wheel, bag and custom hubs but i cant find the threads anywhere? Im at a loss for where to find reliable advice and problem shooting about how to get my mini lowered nicely on bags. All the garages i talk to about this where i am just roll their eyes or speak vaguely about the subject which gives me no confidence at all.

Could you post a few links to your threads on this stuff to allow me to do a bit more homework? Cheers!

Quick Reply: Suspension pics of bagged minis