Suspension Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
ayk07
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptainNG
I emailed NM yesterday regarding the release of a front strut bar and they said they had finished testing and were searching for manufacturing and hope to have it available before this summer. We'll see!
patiently waiting lol

Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
I just installed the VIP bar and was wondering how much you guys "preload" it? The directions don't give any guidance. And do you preload it by extending the length of the bar until tight (which eventually starts to push/bend the mounts up) or shortening it until tight? (I didn't play in this direction...)

Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Csbdr
I just installed the VIP bar and was wondering how much you guys "preload" it? The directions don't give any guidance. And do you preload it by extending the length of the bar until tight (which eventually starts to push/bend the mounts up) or shortening it until tight? (I didn't play in this direction...)
I just had mine installed by the same shop that did my rear sway bar. He just turned it until it was snug. I assumed in the direction of pushing out but honestly i dont know for sure

Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Also, do you have to take off the strut bar for the dealer to replace the air filter? Or are they able to shimmy off the cover underneath? Not sure if i want them messing with it. Probably will just take it off.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Okay, so I replaced my own air filter today with a K&N. Really proud of myself because, well, I'm a girl, not really an excuse, but still I feel super proud
I did not disconnect the MAF because it DID NOT want too, and I did not want to break it. I loosened the clamp attaching the air box to the hose and that was enough to work around the VIP strut bar. Out came the old and in went the new! Which is why this is on the strut bar thread
Oh, and am I crazy, or is one of the perks of a VIP strut bar+NM rear sway bar install the insane acceleration out of a hard corner? I guess I need better tires now!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Mojo'jo'jo'
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this fit an 2015 CM A4 S?

Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Csbdr
I don't preload. Just snug/tight so it takes the load immediately. I don't want any unnecessary load on the towers.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:33 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by teinesina
Okay, so I replaced my own air filter today with a K&N. Really proud of myself because, well, I'm a girl, not really an excuse, but still I feel super proud I did not disconnect the MAF because it DID NOT want too, and I did not want to break it. I loosened the clamp attaching the air box to the hose and that was enough to work around the VIP strut bar. Out came the old and in went the new! Which is why this is on the strut bar thread Oh, and am I crazy, or is one of the perks of a VIP strut bar+NM rear sway bar install the insane acceleration out of a hard corner? I guess I need better tires now!
Being a girl or not you should be proud that you took the time and effort to learn about your car. There's always a satisfaction with doing it yourself.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:33 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojo'jo'jo'
Can this fit an 2015 CM A4 S?
If you're talking about the VIP Yes it can. They make one for the Countryman/Paceman.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Will a strut brace help with bump steer? That is one of my biggest gripes with the countryman. I ditched the runflats and that helped a little.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 AM
slaney
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does strut brace solve bump steer

i havent noticed too much of a difference in that respect. The steering feels tighter and more controlled. With this and the thicker rear sway bar, roll has been reduced drastically. It is much more 'flickable' like my previous hardtop...

Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Not to highjack the thread or anything but if a strut bar doesn't really effect bump steer, does anything? I drive the interstate a lot here in Lexington and I'm tired of being thrown into other lanes or bounced all over my lane at bumpy sections or bridge joints. Any suggestions? Don't have runflats btw. If the strut bar will improve on this then im in.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperjunkie
Not to highjack the thread or anything but if a strut bar doesn't really effect bump steer, does anything? I drive the interstate a lot here in Lexington and I'm tired of being thrown into other lanes or bounced all over my lane at bumpy sections or bridge joints. Any suggestions? Don't have runflats btw. If the strut bar will improve on this then im in.
Better shocks will help that a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Better shocks will help that a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Well, apparently we only have one option for shocks and those are the HD shocks. Seems likely that wont help.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, apparently we only have one option for shocks and those are the HD shocks. Seems likely that wont help.
There are lots of shock options if you're willing to drop the money

Are you talking about Bilstein HDs? Those should be valved much better than the OEM mini shocks. They're also easy to re-valve and there are lots of places that will do it.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:50 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
R60 CM4 + strut brace + more rear sway bar - Whee!

Will a strut brace help with bump steer? That is one of my biggest gripes with the countryman. I ditched the runflats and that helped a little.
I added the M7 strut brace, NM 22mm rear sway bar at the stiffest setting, both for R60, and really changed the cornering dynamics. Now cornering is flat, entry and exit no longer have vague dramatics, and, just noticed, bump steer has gone away! The comfort in normal driving is unchanged. This is a highly recommended, affordable improvement in CM4 driving dynamics. The weekend after completing the change, I drove the twisties in the Sierras and found I could comfortably zip through the turns up to the limit now provided by the tires - well announced. Some familiar ramps are no problem when taken more aggressively. I looked around and found many upper end cars have such features installed as stock...

Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Strut Bar

i ordered my all4 with the sport suspension and no sunroof (sunroof adds 80 kg weight at the highest point of the car)

it corners very flat, i feel no need to upgrade the rear sway bar, but it still had bump steer

getting rid of the run flats eliminated most of the bump steer and adding an uppper front strut brace completely eliminated all bump steer

another benefit is the steering no longer tightens up in hard cornering and the tires no longer howl in hard corners

the strut bar and michelin pilot super sport tires are the only suspension mods i have done