Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Best, in ride, handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
txwerks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenelopeG3
TSW springs are stiffer than stock.
This is true, but they are also better matched to the OEM struts/shocks - this provides a better than OEM ride.

At 73K miles, though, the OEM struts/shocks might be giving up the ghost. I'd definitely check those no matter what solution you come up with.

If you want to change ride height, the solution would be coilovers. Of course, any time you change the ride height, you'd need to check the alignment. You can buy the stuff to do it yourself, and it would pay for itself in 2 alignments - that assumes, though, that you would want to mess with it yourself. It's not hard, though - just some time under the car!

As far as ride goes, well, it all depends on how you match up your spring rates, valving on the struts/shocks, etc. Any good coilover should have matched rates and provide a good ride on the street...

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
lookin for cake

I think the quality of aftermarket parts makes for the better ride and better handling.For example, the Konis have a running damping adjustment and some springs a dual or progressive rate. The stockers are developed with price as a consideration, that’s why I should be able to have my (expensive) cake and eat it too. I just have to figure out if a suspension like that exists.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO, stock springs and FSD's are a great combination. You will almost never bottom out while cornering with the stock springs, so stiffer springs will only make the ride worse.

The FSD's are essentially a progressive-rate shock, and remove the need for progressive-rate springs (which have a tendency to feel annoyingly non-linear when the body rolls while you are setting your line in a corner). The FSD's are stiffer than stock in body roll, once you get past the softer initial response.

If you want a better ride, don't even bother us by whining about it if you are using 17" or larger wheels - you won't get it. Lightweight 16" are the best bet for comfort with great road handling - you can easily cut the unsprung weight by 10 lbs/corner, which makes a big difference in impact transmitted to the car.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
So, it looks like Konis are a good choice with stock springs and Ireland top strut plates for the mushrooms? I have torn upper rubbers too.

My 17"s with non runflats are pretty light, and probably lighter than some 16's .

So I'll most likely be keeping them.(I don't see too much diff between them and my winter holies,as far as ride goes, the little I do see is probably because of the tall sidewalls on the snow tires.)

Originally Posted by OldRick
IMHO, stock springs and FSD's are a great combination. You will almost never bottom out while cornering with the stock springs, so stiffer springs will only make the ride worse.

The FSD's are essentially a progressive-rate shock, and remove the need for progressive-rate springs (which have a tendency to feel annoyingly non-linear when the body rolls while you are setting your line in a corner). The FSD's are stiffer than stock in body roll, once you get past the softer initial response.

If you want a better ride, don't even bother us by whining about it if you are using 17" or larger wheels - you won't get it. Lightweight 16" are the best bet for comfort with great road handling - you can easily cut the unsprung weight by 10 lbs/corner, which makes a big difference in impact transmitted to the car.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Assuming that "...Ireland top strut plates for the mushrooms" means their fixed camber plates, yes - a great combo.

And if you want a bit more cornering precision, consider urethane bushings for the F&R lower control arms. They don't really add noticeable ride harshness.

Then, of course, you'll want to look at frame bracing products... The list goes on for a long time.
6^)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Yep ,that's what I meant.With torn rubber upper strut mounts ,what do I need to repair those? Bushings would be inexpensive, if they were not too much trouble that would be something to think about. Also I was thinking about a bigger rear sway bar, what are your thoughts on that?

Originally Posted by OldRick
Assuming that "...Ireland top strut plates for the mushrooms" means their fixed camber plates, yes - a great combo.

And if you want a bit more cornering precision, consider urethane bushings for the F&R lower control arms. They don't really add noticeable ride harshness.

Then, of course, you'll want to look at frame bracing products... The list goes on for a long time.
6^)

Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
heyduard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
Yep ,that's what I meant.With torn rubber upper strut mounts ,what do I need to repair those? Bushings would be inexpensive, if they were not too much trouble that would be something to think about. Also I was thinking about a bigger rear sway bar, what are your thoughts on that?
The bushings are part of the top strut mount. you have to replace the whole piece. a side by side comparo of the IE fixed plate and the factory mount (from my gallery):

You can get replacement factory pieces, but I say get more negative camber.

BTW, both will compress over time.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
If you go with the IE fixed plates, you won't need nearly as stiff a rear sway bar, and that's a good thing, because it means that the rear wheels will have better grip than if a stiff rear bar is used (because the rear wheels remain more independent in their action).

Most folks who drive their cars vigorously on twisty roads seem to have settled on a 3-position 19mm rear bar set on the middle position, as you will see on the thread about the IE fixed camber plates. See this review for more info on sway bar stiffness.

I've presently got my 20mm rear bar set on its softest position, and it is just right for use on the local mountainous roads.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Do you loose anything with regards to "ride comfort" w/ the IE adjustable street plates or the Hotchkins ones on Tire Rack?

Camber is uneven on my car and I'd like to even it out while updating the shocks w/ similar goals as the OP.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Anybody know where the Koni FSD's are on sale? I tripped upon a site that had them at a good price but can't find it now.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
Anybody know where the Koni FSD's are on sale? I tripped upon a site that had them at a good price but can't find it now.
Looks like Tire Rack has them on special.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
I have dibs on the used FSD's , so we'll see how that goes