Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension My R50 and the M7 STB

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
turboexempt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My R50 and the M7 STB

Well I got my M7 STB today to put on my R50. Going into the purchase I was very aware of the risk that the STB would not work with my car but I wanted the shock tower braces regardless so I went all the way hoping for the best.

The great thing is how good looking and easy to install the M7 STB was. It took ~10 minutes and was a very clean job; I didn't even bother to change out of my work clothes.

The bad news is that the STB is a bad fit for my 2005 R50. I took the interior lining off the bonnet so that wouldn't be a factor at all. (Besides, who wants to "water" their car to try to get a brace to fit. That seems silly when the lining is so easy to remove and/or put back in. -For more info on that topic see my recent thread in the Coupe section.)

Back to the fitment...
So it is clearly not the lining that is the issue with fitting the STB in the 2005 R50. The bar touches the hood regardless. I also got low profile bolts to make sure I didn't get the "nipples" on the hood where those touch. (The ones that come with the bar a very high profile. I got grade 8.8 bolts at Lowes for 80 cents each that worked great.)

I could have pushed the hood shut but there would have been a bulge and I am also sure that there would have been creases created from the bar in the hood if I lft it long term. That's not something I am willing to do yet even though my bonnet has a couple other dings that make me want to get a new one already.

Well that's all. I hope someone benefits from this post.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see some pics.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM
turboexempt
2nd Gear
Well I took the bar off so I wouldn't further damage the bonnet. I did create a tiny indention closing the hood with the bar in the way. So I'm not sure what pictures would show with that. You couldn't see it hit anyways because it doesn't touch until the very end when it's pretty much closed already. Nor do I want to create a impression big enough to be visibale with a camara. So basically it would just look like a closed hood.

I will however take a picture of the engine bay with the reinforcements and removed lining if you are interested in that.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Wow I'm sorry that it didn't fit. I must be the only one with a R50 and no problems with denting the bonnet. I guess I must of lucked out sure the bonnet is alittle high in the back but no dents and I do slam the bonnet shut. I have never heard anyone with an R50 not have a problem with the M7 STB, so I wonder what I did differently to not have a denting issue.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
turboexempt
2nd Gear
Yeah you did get lucky. Hopefully I can find a good deal on an S bonnet eventually. I'm in no hurry though but I will be hanging onto the bar with those future plans.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM
turboexempt
2nd Gear
Here's some pictures:

Notice the two extra holes in the plates for the bar that wouldn't fit