Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Which rear control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
chrisreese
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Which rear control arms?

I lowered my car with H-Sport springs and now I have to take care of my rear camber issue. I'm trying to decide which rear control arms to get to fix this. My car will be driven 99% of the time on the street, I might take it on the track once or twice a year just for fun, so comfort and low noise are important.

Yes, I used the search :impatient and I am leaning towards the H-Sport control arms because, from what I've read, have bushings that are not as noisy or harsh as others. However, the Alta arms are priced right but I have read they can be noisy.

Anyway, any frist hand experience or advice would be great, especially if anyone has tried the H-Sport arms.

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Alta arms on my car and have had them for about 9 months now. I love them, but they do make some noise. If you have your rear seats installed you(I) do not notice it. When I have my seats out and my rear seat delete in I do notice noise, but it does not really bother me.
I have heard great things about the H-Sport arms though, and if you buy them from promini.com theirs are red instead of blue if that matters. I sprayed my grey Alta's red.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the H-sports lowers and like them a lot. They have cylindrical bushings at the ends instead of heim joints, so they're less-prone to noise and wear. Plus, I like the fact that they have zerk fittings so that you can lube the bushings with removing the arms.

I've had them on for about 5000 miles now. The only time I can hear any noise is when I drive slowly over a *large* speed bump. Even then, it's not a high-pitched squeak or anything like that. I probably just need to re-lube the bushings.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisreese
I lowered my car with H-Sport springs and now I have to take care of my rear camber issue. I'm trying to decide which rear control arms to get to fix this. My car will be driven 99% of the time on the street, I might take it on the track once or twice a year just for fun, so comfort and low noise are important.

Yes, I used the search :impatient and I am leaning towards the H-Sport control arms because, from what I've read, have bushings that are not as noisy or harsh as others. However, the Alta arms are priced right but I have read they can be noisy.

Anyway, any frist hand experience or advice would be great, especially if anyone has tried the H-Sport arms.

Thanks.
Check out this thread, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111812

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM
chrisreese
2nd Gear
I did check out that thread, however that comparison did not include the H-Sport arms.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Megan Racing control arms. Priced right and quiet (bushings vs. heim joints). Under $200 shipped from Out Motoring. No complaints.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:53 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
I have the H-sports also, not problems at all.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
chrisreese
2nd Gear
Thanks for everyone's input, I ordered the H-Sports this afternoon. I wish I had seen 41 h stock's post earlier though.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Alta's make more than just a little noise!
They should sell them with the caveat that they will wake the neighborhood when you drive by.
I had them on a week and the wife said "What!?" a few too many times.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
They should sell them with the caveat that they will wake the neighborhood when you drive by.
LOL - I've heard that from other Alta owners as well. I got lucky - I had been planning on getting the Altas when I found out they weren't legal for the autocross class I compete in. I got the H-Sports instead, and couldn't be happier with them.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
+1 for the H-Sports

Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
-1 for the h-sports. I and one other member here (antiquecarnut) have had similar bad experiences with the h-sport arms.

I got them for the reasons everyone is talking about since at the time my car was a daily driver. They were fine for the first two weeks, then the top (closest to center of the car) nuts came loose. I tightened them and added blue loctite. It wasn't a huge problem checking and tightening them every few weeks; I actually didn't mind much since it wasn't the lower (outside of the car) nut that really holds the camber setting in place.

Then on my third track day on the arms, I got finished with a session, checked everything, and sure enough, all of the nuts were so loose I could move them with my fingers. Obviously, this killed the camber setting in the rear, and the car has pushed like a pig ever since.

I don't daily drive the car anymore, so I just (today) ordered the altas and will have them installed at my next alignment.

Based on my experience, I cannot recommend the h-sport arms if you intend to keep the alignment in tact. Everyone I speak to says this is very odd, and I have not taken it up with h-sport as I just don't care enough to get the run around. I'll hopefully be happy with my heim jointed altas.

mb

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
Something must be very wrong if this is the case. Hiems are not real noisy at all, if at all. If yours are making noise then you either have some bad hiems or something is loose or missing.