STX (Street Touring X) Alta Cat-back and Downpipe STX legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta Cat-back and Downpipe STX legal?

I'm dying to add a full turbo down pipe and cat-back exhaust to my 07 MCS. The Alta system sounds incredible, at least the vid I saw on Tube did.

STX allows headers, so the full exhaust system mod should be legal - right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_t1vI5Kko

Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by chickenplucker
I'm dying to add a full turbo down pipe and cat-back exhaust to my 07 MCS. The Alta system sounds incredible, at least the vid I saw on Tube did.

STX allows headers, so the full exhaust system mod should be legal - right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_t1vI5Kko
Try this thread: http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/270504.aspx -- there's been much discussion on exhaust system mods this year, so caveat emptor. The key points appear to be retaining the primary cat location, and also maintaining the emission control functions as intended. Further discussion (albeit not Mini specific) has erupted here also - http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/274557/ShowThread.aspx.

Have a read and see if the proposed system looks kocher - and if in doubt I'd certainly inquire on the SCCA forum before putting funds at risk.

Last edited by cmt52663; 11-23-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chicken,

I do not yet have the 2008 Solo II rules, but here are two quotes from the 2007 rules that relate to your schemes:

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Times New Roman]Exhaust manifolds and headers may be replaced with alternate units which are emissions-legal. Relocation of the oxygen sensor on the header is permitted. Alternate oxygen sensors, including heated types, are permitted. This allowance does not permit relocation of the catalytic converter (see 13.10.E). Exhaust heat shields may be modified the minimum amount necessary to accommodate allowed alternate exhaust components. [from STS rules][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Univers][SIZE=2]
High flow catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach
within six inches of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters
may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement
converter may be located no further downstream than 6"
along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE
converter. [from STX rules p. 82]

It would seem that you should be OK. However, you would be wise to do some checking re the 2008 rules and any other info you can find. You don't want to end up in SM or SP where you would be bringing a knife to a bazooka fight.

Do you want to make the exhaust changes for autox purposes, or more for the sounds, etc.? I ask because you could probably improve the car more for autox with other kinds of mods, especially to the suspension.

cheers,
Joe
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Planned mods

Do you want to make the exhaust changes for autox purposes, or more for the sounds, etc.? I ask because you could probably improve the car more for autox with other kinds of mods, especially to the suspension.

I want to replace the exhaust, add a set of coilovers and lower the car, add a better brake system, replace the rear bar/control arms and add a strut bar, and perhaps an intake system when a effective and legal one (for STX) is designed. Oh, and later on, an ECU mod. I still have 2.5 years on my warranty so I don't wan't to go ape just yet, but I love the sound of the Alta system, and plan on making that my first change. Perhaps at the end of next season I'll update the suspension, after I've firmed up my driving skills. Lastly, I'll change out the brake system, probably at the end of the warranty.

I just ran my second autox on Sunday, so I'm still learning the limits of the car and myself. I want to be able to customize the car and still be legal for a class in autox, one that I can be somewhat competitive in.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
"add a better brake system"

Be careful with what components you change. Anything resembling a Big Brake Kit will bump you to SM. It is not a fun place to play with a MINI (trust me, my BBK and pulley puts me in SM, which kills my PAX score)

Old 12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cube17576
"add a better brake system"

Be careful with what components you change. Anything resembling a Big Brake Kit will bump you to SM. It is not a fun place to play with a MINI (trust me, my BBK and pulley puts me in SM, which kills my PAX score)
Aren't you mistaken, or perhaps I'm misreading the rulebook:

BRAKES
·Brake rotors may be replaced with any rotor of equal or larger diameter made from a ferrous or aluminum alloy. Calipers are unrestricted, but must mount to the original attachment points.
·Alternate DOT approved flexible brake lines.

Maybe it was your pully that forced you to SM.

Last edited by chickenplucker; 12-04-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Big brakes are legal in STX (where the 'S' goes) , just not in STS (where the Cooper goes).

EDIT - Some other potential "gotchas" for STX - many of the popular CAI kits are not strictly STX-legal. Particularly, any of the ones that modify/replace the partition between the airbox and cowl area, since that partition is not technically part of the intake system. Also, if you get aftermarket rear control arms, you can only replace ONE set (either upper or lower), but not both. Plus, the aftermarket control arms with heim or "pillowball" joints aren't STX-legal. You have to go with one of the brands that has cylindrical rubber bushings, just like the stock arms.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 12-04-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Big brakes are legal in STX (where the 'S' goes) , just not in STS (where the Cooper goes).
That's the way I understood it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This post is a bit late, but perhaps it will garner some comments. Why would anyone want larger brakes for autocrossing? The stock brakes are powerful, easy to modulate, etc. Adding larger brakes adds to the unsprung weight, one of the worst things you can do to a car intended for driving at the limit. The advantage of big brakes is only realized in track type events where brakes are used often over a substantial period of time. The big rotors allow for some heat build up and help to dissipate any heat that is in the system. But autocross events seldom last more than a minute, and then there is plenty of time to cool the brakes before the next run. So why would you want to make your unsprung weight higher in order to gain something that is not needed in autocrossing?

I feel that most of the people who have big brake systems got them for the style; certainly they have no reason to be added for a street car. A track rat might need them, but it would make sense to first try cooling ducts to see if that would keep the brakes sufficiently cool. If not, then a kit might be needed.

Cheers,
Joe

Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I didn't realize that BBKs were legal in STX. I didn't spend much time looking at STX because I passed right by into SM with my pulley.

Big Brake kits are usually lighter than stock. Have you felt the stock steel brake rotors? They make perfect weights to keep my EZ-Up tent from blowing away in strong winds. Overall, my BBK saved 5-6 pounds (I think) each.

I have my car set up for road racing where the pulley and BBK really shine. Autocross is my second home, but I am not competitive with my curren tsetup.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by graphicjoe
Why would anyone want larger brakes for autocrossing?
You're right and I agree. It is unnecessary to upgrade the brake system solely for autox.

Recommended reading for anyone interested: High-Performance Brake Systems: Design, Selection, and Installation, by James Walker Jr. published by CarTech, Inc. www.cartechbooks.com.

I'm sure there are others equally informative.