Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Trip Computer and auto AC keeps switching from farenheit to

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
scary2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so this is now annoying me. Two weeks ago I took my 2003 MCS to the dealer because one day when starting the car the auto ac and trip computer switched from farenheit to celcius. Very annoying for us Americans I have no idea what caused it and no idea how to fix it as the owners manual said it needs to be set by the dealer. So I take it to the dealer and 2 hours later it is fixed. I ask the service advisor how it was set back to farenheit as I have no idea how it was switched to that in the first place and want to avoid the 1 hour each way drive to the dealer. She calls the tech and he says he can't tell me as he had to follow details in the Mini shop manual and it was an involved process. No help there.

So......long story short last night I start up the car and turn on the auto ac and its once again in celcius. The trip computer on the tach also shows outside temp as celcius.

Once again all I did was turn on the car and the autoac and it switched. Prior to shutting the car off to go in the store it was correct and in farenheit.

How the hell do I switch it back without going to the dealer? Has anybody experienced this on their 03 MCS? What worries me is that this is a sign of a problem with the ECU. I've also noticed my mileage has gone down and I am getting around 250 miles on a full tank. This has been the last 3 fillups where prior I was getting 325 miles + a tank. My driving style is the same and the use of the auto ac and heat hasn't changed at all. I've only installed a Mini-Madness cold air filter which I highly doubt is causing problems.

Any advice wuld be greatly appreciated! Car has all 3 packages,PDC, and every option except the navigation. I'm getting worried about this and possible ECU or other electronic problems.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
It's very very simple to change from degrees f to c.

Just hold down the AUTO a/c button for about 5 seconds and it will change the temp over from F to C. Let go. Hold it for another 5 seconds and it will change back to F.

the key part is not to hold the auto a/c button down for too long if you don't want the temperature read out to change measurement systems.

Give me time, give us a kiss | Tell me your own politik