Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is there anyone out there who HAS NOT had MC/MCS problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
zenism
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone out there who HAS NOT had MC/MCS problems?

My F'-ing (insert your diety here),

I'm a proud (and now concerned) original owner of the MCS described in my signature.

After reading the forums for a while, I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't have gone with the '07 Civic Si? I'm sorry, but all I see, is folks griping about, multiple cracked windshields, RFTs, wiper motors, crappy dealer service, mysterious engine fires, mushrooming, loss of warranty for sneezing, etc. I love the MINI, but as career military, looking at another Arabian Gulf deployment, I'm starting to have doubts about entrusting my family to this vehicle while I'm away.

Is there anyone out there that just enjoys their MINI, with no hassles?

I've had 2 friends test drive my MCS and love it. But due to what I've learned here I'm afraid to recommend a MINI to anyone.

Just a few happy tales would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
I've got >13K miles on 2006 MCS. No problems. Only fun.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These types of forums are great but they tend to create a focus that can rattle the confidence. It's the same with everything (cars, computers, you name it), people are quick to report problems and those who don't have issues are too busy out driving to post.

I worked for American Honda back in the 80s and I am sure that car to car a Civic Si will beat a Mini in bumper to bumper reliability. That said, the Mini is still a solid and reliable car. At the same tiime, if you build 36,000 cars a year a few will catch fire, a few will have windshields crack, etc.

My advice would be to enjoy your Mini. You made a good choice. If issues arise your warranty will be there to take care of them and get you and your family back on the road.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
If issues arise your warranty will be there to take care of them and get you and your family back on the road.
really... cause my dealer can't fix my a/c. they tried twice already.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
People with car problems also have questions. This draws them to these forums. The reason I even came upon this forum is that I wanted to find out if the window motors breaking was a major problem. When you get a few hundred people together talking about problems they have with their car and trying to figure out how to fix the problems, you end up with a disproportionate group of people with problems. With all of the minis on the road, I think the amount of problems on these forums does not qualify as an epidemic. If every thread about a problem included every member saying that they either had the problem or didn't have the problem, we would be scrolling through many many pages of "i don't have that problem" posts.

You made a great choice with the MINI and most likely if you maintain it properly, it will last a long time. Also you get the piece of mind of knowing that your family is in a very safe car with traction control abs and lots of airbags...

After a few years, small issues are going to happen. It happens with all cars.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Actually, there are at least several older threads of this same nature and the answer is: Yes, there are those of us who have had no (or only a few little warranty repairs).

My '03 MCS: It was awesome. It had about 35K miles before trading it in. My '06 JCW MCS has only 7500K miles, but much like the '03, is awesome and I have no concerns or regrets... just a huge-a$$ smile everytime I drive it!

I don't read Civic forums (I presume there are numerous honda forums these days) so I don't know what the nature of those forums might be... Are they just a bunch of happy-go-lucky rice burners with no complaints or issues? I'll bet not! (I stand to be corrected, though, if any cross-platform enthusiasts want to chime in and flame me for these remarks).

I owned a new '89 Civic SI (back when) and it had just as many warranty issues as I have experienced with both of my Minis. It had early brake wear, cv boot leaks, a/c unit blew up before 30K, rattles, valve train sounded suspiciously noisey, pre-detination, etc. Hmm, sound familiar?

Difference back in 1989, though, is that (I don't think) there were any enthusiast Honda Civic forums offering comaradere, advice, humor or a soapbox complaint platform.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
there will always be cars on both sides of the curve, some with no issues and some with a lot. Its the middle of the curve that matters ...

Last edited by chows4us; 08-05-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zenism
Is there anyone out there that just enjoys their MINI, with no hassles?
I love my MINI. No problems at all except for a clock that runs fast.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
No probs here. Has a couple of SES lights that went away when I used a better brand of gas. My fault, not the Mini's. 8500 miles so far, 2006 MCS-JCW.

Edit: Sorry, just remembered I had the armrest and the rear washer replaced. No biggie though.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Mr.Natural
Neutral
47,500K on my 04' MCS and no problems. I just think these forums don't get responses from those of us that have no problems or questions.
Keep on truckin'
Adios

Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds I may jinx myself.

Interpret that any way you choose.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12 months - 25,000 miles and no problems so far. I agree that most people do tend to post their problems and not their good experiences, hence skewing the overall perception at times

Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Scotti280
2nd Gear
I've only had minor problems like with any of the cars I've ever owned. March will be a year and I already have 10k on my Mini. In fact my husband and I are thinking about getting a second one. Hey you're in FL atleast you don't have to worry about driving in the snow like here in CO. Have a good day!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
No problems with mine so far! Will have had it a year in April

Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Bullet2006
2nd Gear
I am truly sorry that you are not having any luck with your Mini. I bought my 1st one 8 months ago and just purchased my 2nd one last month. They are a great car!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
ok, all of you that stated no problem have just jinxed their cars.

now be prepared for the first 'issue.'

Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Scotti280
2nd Gear
Hey let's all knock on wood!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:28 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Originally Posted by zenism
After reading the forums for a while, I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't have gone with the '07 Civic Si? ...
I'd buy the Civic Si--very cool car. And I've *never* seen a problem with a Honda talked about here on NAM!
No, really. All the problems with my MCS, like my wife, are --idiosyncracies!!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
no problems here. any issues i have had with the car were due to my learn as you go installations.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:54 PM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Scotti280
Hey let's all knock on wood!
Knock on plastic...47K and no problems. (none!) I did replace the expansion tank as a maintenance item. Too many have cracked and mind looked suspect.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
bonsaimini
3rd Gear
Problems!

Got my 2K5 MC last August. In late fall was on way to work, intending to stop at my fav gas station in s. jersey...gas gauge was reading 1/8 tank...the little red LED came on, and shortly after, the car literally came to a stop. luckily i was about 1/4 mile from the station, so i got my morning walk in.
took car to shop..they tore the thing apart, pulled the gas tank sensor (spilling gas all over the sound deadening material under the back seat), and wound up replacing the sensor.
i picked up the car, and almost fell over at the smell of gas...was told "cut up some apples and put in the back seat to absorb the odor...will go away in a few days! guess what...NOT!
took car back 3 days later to have the soaked crap replaced, and the inner sanctum of my poor car cleaned properly....nasty sweaty men....

Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
there will always be cars on both sides of the curve, some with no issues and some with a lot. Its the middle of the curve that matters ...
Not when you're nowhere near the bell on the curve.

To the OP- I've had numerous issues, but Sndwave hasn't had any.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
These types of forums are great but they tend to create a focus that can rattle the confidence. It's the same with everything (cars, computers, you name it), people are quick to report problems and those who don't have issues are too busy out driving to post.

I worked for American Honda back in the 80s and I am sure that car to car a Civic Si will beat a Mini in bumper to bumper reliability. That said, the Mini is still a solid and reliable car. At the same tiime, if you build 36,000 cars a year a few will catch fire, a few will have windshields crack, etc.

My advice would be to enjoy your Mini. You made a good choice. If issues arise your warranty will be there to take care of them and get you and your family back on the road.
Exactly! I had a Chevy Colorado before the MINI. You should've seen the folks complaining about those on the Coloradofans.com board.

Typical human nature.... complain, complain, complain...

Old 01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
32,000 miles and no problems whatsoever.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We only have 10,000 miles on my wife's MINI and 6,000 on mine, but the only problem we've had with either car was that the onboard computer on her car was incorrectly reporting an average speed of 1.2MPH. She hadn't reset the OBC since we bought the car, so that may have been the cause. After resetting the OBC, it's been fine since.

Quick Reply: Is there anyone out there who HAS NOT had MC/MCS problems?