Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

synthetic oils and the MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 AM
theoldkid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetic oils and the MINI

I have emailed with "askmini.com" about the use of synthetic oil in my new (do not have it yet....will pick up Monday 12/4) MINI and I keep getting the party line of 'this is the only oil we recommend for use in your MINI and we can not talk about any other oils' no matter how good they might be.
My biggest concern is that by using something like Amsoil or RedLine oil (sythetic of course) am I voiding my warranty? I do not want to void the warranty but I also want to use the best oil I can afford and find readily.
Any advice on where to go to get THAT question answered without the recorded message?

thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Mustang7302
1st Gear
Since the wife's car was through it's matience period, I've been using Royal Purple. Ill pick up a couple of filters from the dealer and the oil; it ends up running about $40 a change since I do it my self.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
If you're worried about the warranty, run the BMW/MINI oil you get at the dealer. It's actually supposed to be a pretty good synthetic. My valve cover says Castrol, so you could get some German Castrol 0W-30 at Autozone and use that, and they couldn't gripe a bit.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Just another ploy

Originally Posted by theoldkid
I have emailed with "askmini.com" about the use of synthetic oil in my new (do not have it yet....will pick up Monday 12/4) MINI and I keep getting the party line of 'this is the only oil we recommend for use in your MINI and we can not talk about any other oils' no matter how good they might be.
My biggest concern is that by using something like Amsoil or RedLine oil (sythetic of course) am I voiding my warranty? I do not want to void the warranty but I also want to use the best oil I can afford and find readily.
Any advice on where to go to get THAT question answered without the recorded message?

thanks!

Obviously they have a "Deal" with Casteroil"
As long as your synthetic meets all the requirements (all those acronyms), Mini would be hard pressed to kill your warranty. In fact IMHO, 10-15000 mile changes are a bigger threat (ITS THE FILTER I WORRY ABOUT MORE) I do my own at about 3-5000 miles with mobile one...no issues. They just want the business after the 3 yr free changes are over. or a shot at some kind of non warranty work that might rear its head during the change while they have you there.

However since your changes are free for 3 yrs...let them have at it..I bet they buy their "special" oil in bulk so it is just plain Castroil Synthetic (see other threads about the not fully synthetic - SYNTHETICS!)

Interesting they do not try to recommend GERMAN Castroil Synthetic since it is different than US Casteroil synthetic. I wil be damned if I am going to drive a 250 mi round trip to get a free change! Look at the Label next time you are in an auto parts place...Look closely at the Casteroil Full Synthetic in say Wally World or Kragen...Says NOT FOR EXPORT...USA and CANADA only...what's up with that???

Sounds like its time for Magnesson Moss Act part II BMW is out of control again!

Remember the word the use "RECOMMENDED"...they also use different suppliers (2 that I know of for their oil filters!) They cannot prove damage to your vehilcle using say, Mobile One of the right viscosity......if they could, Mobile One would then be called JEFF ONE!!\

BTW: I recently looked at a torn apart Head from a Mini w/ 65,000 miles on it (gasket blew). The owner followed the Mini spec exactly as well as their change frequency! It was all gunked up with sludge!

Toyota used to Recommend Premium gas in the FJcrusier...guess that hurt sales so they put out a bulletin saying regular was ok, and sent out replacement gas door stickers....sheeesh ...BTW: I RECOMMEND...Premium top tier gas for the Mini!

My independant Mechanic recommends Mobile One....means nothing, but he has nothing to gain since he knows I do my changes myself.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Oh..they would find a way

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
If you're worried about the warranty, run the BMW/MINI oil you get at the dealer. It's actually supposed to be a pretty good synthetic. My valve cover says Castrol, so you could get some German Castrol 0W-30 at Autozone and use that, and they couldn't gripe a bit.
Oh..they would find a way. (Thought they say 5w-30)
Probably say that your fingerprints and oils in your hands were not Mini approved and will cost you your warranty! (You guessed it...I am going thru an "issue" with them now.)

Old 12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with gizzer. MINI service uses regular 'ol Castrol Syntec (highly modified dino base stocks that they call synthetic). I don't see any oil analysis results so we don't know how long this oil (or any other oil for that matter) can go without changing.

Really, I highly doubt MINI would deny warranty work due to using another synthetic oil. As long as it's synthetic with the correct API rating and your following the recommended change intervals, there's not much they can argue.

And about 0w-30, I think MINI actually does recommend that weight for colder climates. That's probably the preferred oil but it's harder to find and not needed in warmer climates so they say we can use 5w-30 there.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
According to my 05 manual, if you don't have the MINI oil from the dealership, you can use synthetic APISH specification or higher 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil. Meet those requirements and change it per the recommended intervals, you should have no warranty issues as you are following the guidelines per the manual.

Originally Posted by gizzer777
In fact IMHO, 10-15000 mile changes are a bigger threat (ITS THE FILTER I WORRY ABOUT MORE) I do my own at about 3-5000 miles with mobile one...no issues.
Please remember oil filters have changed along with the oil. Yes, you would never want to use standard oil filter media in the MINI. However, OEM spec filters are designed for the longer change intervals.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
I respect your opinion

Originally Posted by aDeLoreanGuy
According to my 05 manual, if you don't have the MINI oil from the dealership, you can use synthetic APISH specification or higher 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil. Meet those requirements and change it per the recommended intervals, you should have no warranty issues as you are following the guidelines per the manual.

Please remember oil filters have changed along with the oil. Yes, you would never want to use standard oil filter media in the MINI. However, OEM spec filters are designed for the longer change intervals.
I don't want to extend the on going discussions about service intervals, but for my Mini or any other vehicle ...No thanks....Oil filter media gets clogged when it gets clogged, and for the measly $30...an early change is worth it...Remember after 50k mi or 4 yrs...Mini is off the hook anyway and they could care less. (as all manufacturers) Paper filter is still a paper filter...no magic there

I had an Audi A4 with extended service and oil changes...Audi's A4 sludged up and a class action resulted in Audi having to extend the Lub/valve system in the A4's warranty for an additional 3 yrs! That was an 04...since then the pan was made bigger.

With vehicles costing what they do today...whay take the chance, unless you get new ones ever 3-4 yrs as I usually do anyway....IMHO the Honda I-Vtec in my 05 Element is a more advanced design than the current Mini Engine and even Honda says 5000 mi! I have them both so I am somewhat impartial (Fun vs Ugly!)

Guess I am just old...and there is no way back!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't want to extend the on going discussions about service intervals, but for my Mini or any other vehicle ...No thanks....Oil filter media gets clogged when it gets clogged, and for the measly $30...an early change is worth it...Remember after 50k mi or 4 yrs...Mini is off the hook anyway and they could care less. (as all manufacturers) Paper filter is still a paper filter...no magic there

I had an Audi A4 with extended service and oil changes...Audi's A4 sludged up and a class action resulted in Audi having to extend the Lub/valve system in the A4's warranty for an additional 3 yrs! That was an 04...since then the pan was made bigger.

With vehicles costing what they do today...whay take the chance, unless you get new ones ever 3-4 yrs as I usually do anyway....IMHO the Honda I-Vtec in my 05 Element is a more advanced design than the current Mini Engine and even Honda says 5000 mi! I have them both so I am somewhat impartial (Fun vs Ugly!)

Guess I am just old...and there is no way back!
I agree 100% ^^^

I went through the sludge fiasco with my wifes A4. Lucky for us it was a lease car & once off lease it became Audi's problem. Oil & filters are cheap. Cars aren't.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:17 PM
theoldkid
1st Gear
WOW....that is alot

Thanks much for the input.
I am going to do some research on filters for the MINI and see what I can find in a top shelf filter.
I am also going to check Amsoil and Redline and see if they meet the standard in the manual.

BTW...my MINI is due to be driven home on Monday!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Congrats on your new MINI & welcome to NAM.

My MINI is happy with Mobile 1 full synthetic. I also use OEM filters.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
I use OEM filters just because they are easy to get.

I also dont use synthetic oils anymore. Ive found i get 20-25 degree lower oil temps using Castrol GTX and when I used Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil or even the factory Syntec. Oil temps were lower at both the oil filter and the pan.

I also dont get as much oil blow by as I did with Synthetic as I do with GTX.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Very Interesting and food for thought!

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I use OEM filters just because they are easy to get.

I also dont use synthetic oils anymore. Ive found i get 20-25 degree lower oil temps using Castrol GTX and when I used Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil or even the factory Syntec. Oil temps were lower at both the oil filter and the pan.

I also dont get as much oil blow by as I did with Synthetic as I do with GTX.
I also use only OEM filters (lots of chinese garbage out there). I think BWM used to oem thru Hengst but has since changed suppliers (may the lowest bidder win)

I also noticed that in the 115 degree heat of last summer...Mobile 1 ran about 10 degrees cooler than the Dealer casteroil Synthetic (whatever it is)

What you say about the synthetic vs GTX is very interesting as I have also pondered the question. I think when my warranty runs out (2008) I will give it a try also since I chg my oil every 3-5000 mi anyway. I use GTX 5w20 (like water but they say use it!) in my 05 Honda Element as my independant Honda guy recommends it OVER synthetic also...Also used it in my departed 1981 Porsche SC without a hitch for 13 yrs. GTX has been around a LONG time...even longer than mobile One

BTW: oem stuff is under careful watch here. (lowest bidder syndrome again)

Also works like this....We can make 100 million dollars....after we get caught, it will cost us $25 million when we get sued, so we make $75 mil + Interest...IE: Apple's Ipod, Lost a patent infringement suit filed by Creative Labs ...settlement=$25 Million vs how many Million dollars made from the Ipod? WOW what a deal!!!

Back to Autos...Dex cool antifreeze comes to mind! Corporate mentality

I stick with whatever MINI sells as oem..As long as it has the BMW part number I can't, (also keep your receipts) or shouldn't get caught up in the warranty sham (does anyone really think they are not paying for that FREE service?...WORSE, you are paying for 3 yrs of FREE service UP FRONT...in the purchase price!)

Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM
theoldkid
1st Gear
Thanks again for the input
I continue to do my research on oil and filters.
not-so-rednwhitecooper, your words will be taken to heart and will doubtless be part of my untilmate decision, thank you!
Gizzer, your comments also will be considered (as will all the comments here). The 'free' maint. for 3 years is an important issue, so is the 'formative' miles on this new car/engine and, as such, I need not spare the expense to keep this car in the best condition possible. The use of the best oil, which is the 'blood' of the engine, is the only thing I will allow in my MINI. I know I may have an issue or two with MINI on their 'recommendations' but as long as it meets or exceeds their specs, I really don't care what they think. Their spec of API SH is an old and obsolete spec anyway. It applies to vehicles 1996 and older (according to API).
The comments here have really pushed my research to the next level and it will press on.
I will be happy to pass on what I learn to anyone who wants the info.

I am also researching anti-freeze as well. Yeah I know, I am a fanatic (tell me something I do not know)

Motor on....

Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
prestone, only the best.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
You are a wise man!

Originally Posted by theoldkid
Thanks again for the input
I continue to do my research on oil and filters.
not-so-rednwhitecooper, your words will be taken to heart and will doubtless be part of my untilmate decision, thank you!
Gizzer, your comments also will be considered (as will all the comments here). The 'free' maint. for 3 years is an important issue, so is the 'formative' miles on this new car/engine and, as such, I need not spare the expense to keep this car in the best condition possible. The use of the best oil, which is the 'blood' of the engine, is the only thing I will allow in my MINI. I know I may have an issue or two with MINI on their 'recommendations' but as long as it meets or exceeds their specs, I really don't care what they think. Their spec of API SH is an old and obsolete spec anyway. It applies to vehicles 1996 and older (according to API).
The comments here have really pushed my research to the next level and it will press on.
I will be happy to pass on what I learn to anyone who wants the info.
I am also researching anti-freeze as well. Yeah I know, I am a fanatic (tell me something I do not know)

Motor on....
You are a wise man

BTW: My issue with Mini involves their Brown Coolant/sediment issue and vanishing TSB (which I have a Mini invoice referencing, from another Mini Owner) and after 3 yrs...protection lowering....Heck I guess we are Lucky...GM had people believing they could go 100,000-150,000 miles with Dex cool...Now there are at least 4 MAJOR class actions against GM, Texaco/Chevron and others....Seems the stuff corrodes the cooling system leaving SEDIMENT while discoloring...sound familiar???

ANYTHING YOU LEARN WILL BE QUICKLY absorbed by this forum...thanks as the more heads the better!!! Mini owners are a tight knit group and I for one have learned tons here as well as from the Bentley manual!!!
Jeff...Glad to have been of assistance and best of luck!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:58 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RedLine 5/30 and OEM or NAPA #7303 filters changed every 5-6K miles. 95K miles and running great!
I actually prefer the NAPA filter as it fits better in the canister than the OEM.
Just my nickles worth. (inflation!)
Have you checked out this site? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Jim

Last edited by jimz68; 12-02-2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Great resource...Thank you!

Originally Posted by jimz68
RedLine 5/30 and OEM or NAPA #7303 filters changed every 5-6K miles. 95K miles and running great!
I actually prefer the NAPA filter as it fits better in the canister than the OEM.

Jim
Great resource...Thank you! Interesting reading!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 AM
theoldkid
1st Gear
Jimz68, thanks for the link. I will check it out and keep this thread posted on my findings.

Motor on!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:40 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68

Jim
jimz68, thanks for the link to Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
heck...Now I am Bummed

Originally Posted by norm03s
jimz68, thanks for the link to Bob Is The Oil Guy
Now I am Bummed....My GF always called me the "Oil Guy" (at least it was Jeff, the Oil Guy) after I get done servicing the Mini!

Now I have gotten it down pretty pat so...it is on to the Element...Filter is NOT in a good spot there! No loosening a canister so that oil drops into the pan...who ever posted that one...THANK YOU TOO!!!

Thinking about a Fumoto valve for each...they both take the same Fumoto #... Have had one sitting around for a while now!

Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Now I am Bummed....My GF always called me the "Oil Guy" (at least it was Jeff, the Oil Guy) after I get done servicing the Mini!

Now I have gotten it down pretty pat so...it is on to the Element...Filter is NOT in a good spot there! No loosening a canister so that oil drops into the pan...who ever posted that one...THANK YOU TOO!!!

Thinking about a Fumoto valve for each...they both take the same Fumoto #... Have had one sitting around for a while now!
Fumoto valve Fumoto valve

Old 12-03-2006, 03:07 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Fumoto valve Fumoto valve
Sorry, dont trust them.

I'd get a Fram quick drain before the F-valve. The Fram uses a schrader valve instead of a ball valve.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Funny how opinions differ

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Sorry, dont trust them.

I'd get a Fram quick drain before the F-valve. The Fram uses a schrader valve instead of a ball valve.
having no experience with either, I bought a Fumoto (still in the pkg) since I lost all confidence in fram years ago due to their oil filters (do not like cardboard end caps and flimsey by pass valves) + (and being purchased by honeywell) The fumoto seems to be well made and has a few oem approvals like Subaru...which are not easy to obtain. The one thing I did not like about the Fomoto was that fibrous washer thingy...looks like a possible weeping point but...I really do not know.

Perhaps it would just be wiser to stay with the drain plug as it stands and just deal with the small mess you get.....(I guess that's why it is still in the pkg...but a lot of people swear by them...inc the Honda Element forum folks.)

Hey, it wasn't easy just finding an oil pan under 5" tall for my little Mini!...Still that first splash is a killer, since I drain the oil a bit warm! Gotta avoid the Exxon Valdez in my garage!!! Mine is about 4.5" tall so I cheat a little and just barely nudge it up on my ramps so the pan slides under....

Thank you for your thoughts!!!

Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
solberg
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have any experience using an oil extractor via the dip stick tube? I have not heard anything negative about this route and I have done it once with good results. No concerns with the drain plug doing it this way either.

Quick Reply: synthetic oils and the MINI