Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Rattle...

Old 04-20-2003, 12:14 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I start my MCS, it rund fine for about 5 seconds, after that a rattle/grind starts to take place. Does anyone know what that might be? I am going in for service this week, but I am just wondering what you guys think.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, that's really a bit vague to diagnose. If it's high on the motor, I'd suspect supercharger noise, but that's only a guess. Hope it's nothing serious for you.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:06 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
engine rattle

just had a group of cape cod rally participants declare the sound uncommon to their Coopers, Ses, and JCWs. So what is it that the service manager at Prestige could not hear the day after I bought my MC40 and had the JCW installed. To the participants tonight it sounded like a whistley rattle. As far as I can tell it's a loud rattle coming from the pulley side of the engine. If you look at the top most pulley, that's about where it seems to be coming from. It's discernable at idle, but a rev to about 3,000 makes it plainly audible, the rattle increases in volume as the engine revs - just to give you an idea. The baby-rattle never stops.

The first time i noticed the rattle was after the service manger reconnected the engine ground that was left loose prior to delivery. He had stayed late to personally handle my car when it had been towed in. Semty the head mechanic home. Perhaps that is why he pretended not to hear it...

Please Help me. Ace (aka Cooperspeed, or chris), have you had any luck with your seemingly unrelated year old problem?

edit: this is the second MCS I've owned. I have attended many, many MINI events and been active on MINI forums for over two years. I have never heard this noise before.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:17 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GMINIO
just had a group of cape cod rally participants declare the sound uncommon to their Coopers, Ses, and JCWs. So what is it that the service manager at Prestige could not hear the day after I bought my MC40 and had the JCW installed. To the participants tonight it sounded like a whistley rattle. As far as I can tell it's a loud rattle coming from the pulley side of the engine. If you look at the top most pulley, that's about where it seems to be coming from. It's discernable at idle, but a rev to about 3,000 makes it plainly audible, the rattle increases in volume as the engine revs - just to give you an idea. The baby-rattle never stops.

The first time i noticed the rattle was after the service manger reconnected the engine ground that was left loose prior to delivery. He had stayed late to personally handle my car when it had been towed in. Semty the head mechanic home. Perhaps that is why he pretended not to hear
it...

Please Help me. Ace, have you had any luck with your seemingly unrelated year old problem?
i dont know if you have ever driven a charger car, but that noise that you are hearing from the pulley is your supercharger, they make that noise and a nother sound that you dont hear on most cars in the electric power steering motor. it makes a wierd sound as well. just a heads up

chris

Old 09-20-2004, 05:58 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Chris. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry i did not mention that this is my second MCS in two years. The first made no such noise.

Here's the part where I thank you for the slight bump up in the forum.

Now I have to ask that you acknowldge the reaction noted at the very begining of my post. Particularly how it was mentioned that at rather large MINI meet, with all members gathered around a brand new rarely-never-seen in those parts MC40, not one could identify the noise as one they had heard coming from his/her car at any time. Not one could identify it as normal. The MINIs there included the full range of MINI models currently available in the US, excepting the convertible. And yes, there were those who had the JCW installed.

Thankyou for prompting me to detail this part of my question. I'd hate for anyone to think that I am dealing with normal supercharger noise. I whine, maybe. A rattle, no.

http://www.gmini03.com/John/CheMC40Rattle.AVI