Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

two issues i'm having with my '04 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two issues i'm having with my '04 Cooper S

Hey Everyone,
I've got a couple of questions about my 2004 Cooper S that have left me totally perplexed. I'll start off with the first one under the bonnet. Often when I pull up to a red light or any other time when I am stopped for several seconds with my clutch disengaged, I hear a sound coming from the engine bay area that sounds a lot like I have a diesel engine. Another good way to describe it is that it sounds like the way old movies and tv shows dipicted an old crank start cars in that it makes a clattering "chugga chugga" kind of noise. If I depress the clutch pedal, the noise stops but as long as the clutch is out, I hear it. Is there anyone that can enlighten me as to what this problem might be? Second question. Ever since I have owned my car, there has been a "louder than normal for a '04 S" burble. I've always seen it as a cool thing and loved the noise. However, more recently I have notice that the noise is almost, if not, a back fire. It occurs every time I shift (more prominently in 1st and 2nd gear) when I run my RPM's up to 3000 and release the gas to depress the clutch. Sometimes it's 4-5 "burbles" and sometimes it's one "pop". In fact, my brother has told me that he can hear the noise in his car with his windows rolled up when he is behind me. It happens on release of the gas pedal and I'm really more concerned by the pop than the burble.( Okay, this has probably been way to much information, but I'm trying to be clear. Let me know if you need any more information)
Thanks for anyone willing to help!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
My 04 has the same characteristics

1) Not an issue. This is well known at this site and by your dealer.
2) Part of the character of the car. It seems do do it even more in cooler weather.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by MisterCooper
Hey Everyone,
I've got a couple of questions about my 2004 Cooper S that have left me totally perplexed. I'll start off with the first one under the bonnet. Often when I pull up to a red light or any other time when I am stopped for several seconds with my clutch disengaged, I hear a sound coming from the engine bay area that sounds a lot like I have a diesel engine. Another good way to describe it is that it sounds like the way old movies and tv shows dipicted an old crank start cars in that it makes a clattering "chugga chugga" kind of noise. If I depress the clutch pedal, the noise stops but as long as the clutch is out, I hear it. Is there anyone that can enlighten me as to what this problem might be?
There is a TSB that deals with the dual mass flywheel not performing it's duty. In other words, the torsional vibrations from the engine are not being properly dampened out by the unit.

If this is indeed the case (and it's hard to diagnose the it without hearing it), this is not a symptom of impending tranny failure but an NVH issue that your dealer should happily take care of.

Some people pay big bucks getting this noise as a result of installing a lightweight flywheel in their car. You got yours for free!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Bump

*Bump*

Everyone I know says my car is getting louder and louder by the day. Like I said, burble=cool. Backfire noise

Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've heard of an issue involving the flywheel...(someone in our local club had his replaced under warranty...he had a noise issue similar to yours)
Best thing is to have your dealer check it out....(hopefully your still within your 4 year/50000 mile period...

Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the exhaust, you could go aftermarket Cat back to resolve that.

For the engine, I had that and it was a bad motor mount. Good luck

Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Well the Borla is on it's way but I still need to get the flywheel issue checked. Going to have to reflash stock software before I do that though