Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Am I headed for catastrophic drivetrain failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
BRGDragon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I headed for catastrophic drivetrain failure?

[FONT=Arial]Has anyone replaced the differential drive axle seals? Just wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at. Mine is leaking and I want to avoid catastrophic transmission failure.

I purchased my 2002 MC a few weeks ago and took it to the local dealer after I became concerned about a possible transmission problem. Midwestern Auto Group of Dublin, OH has a WELL EARNED reputation for being absolutely horrible to deal with. And they lived up to that reputation. They said I'd have to pay them to inspect the tranny. My car has 33K miles on it, but was 3 months out of warranty. Nevermind that BMW/MINI had to replace quite a few defective transmissions on this model year.

So... I took it to my local garage and sure enough, I have a leaking seal. (tranny/differential to the drive axle).

I contacted MINI and they said it was up to the "goodwill" of the dealer to fix it out of warranty. Midwestern Auto Group has no goodwill. They are a horrible representative for BMW/MINI.

MINI USA seems unwilling to intervene. Any suggestions? I feel very afraid I'm going to end up with one of the catastrophic clutch/transmission failures I keep reading about.

Also, MAG said there were no recalls on the car. I went to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin website and found a transmission recall on this vehicle. It's for the floor shift assembly - to install a clip to prevent the gear shift lever from disengaging from the linkage.

So, I plan to take it to MAG again and request that the clip be installed. Has anyone else had this done?

I'm starting to fear that I've made a mistake buying this car. I guess it's my own fault for getting the first year of a new vehicle. But, wow, I liked this one as soon as I saw it. And I still do. I want to keep it.

Am I making a mistake by trying to get this fixed and keep it? Or should I be selling it?!! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]What kind of price tag am I facing to have the tranny/diff/axle seals replaced?

Thanks for any opinions. I am really concerned about the drivetrain issues. I haven't had any real problems so far. It does seem to fight me when I try to downshift. But upshifts are smooth as silk.

Shannon
98 BMW Z3
02 MINI Cooper[/FONT]

Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will only blow up...

if the seal lets go totally, or you let it run dry. So first off, keep the tranny topped up with oil.

As for the seal, yeah, you're hosed if your dealer won't help. Go to another shop (are there any good Mini tuners out there?) and get a quote from them. Why pay the crappy dealers inflated rates when you can get someone with skills to do the work for a better cost, and start the relationship with your prefered service guys and gals.

Now that you're out of warranty, the only reason to go to the dealer is recall issues. No reason to give them any $ at all.

Matt

Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
5th Gear
The seal is not a big job. Just keep the tranny topped up and get the seal replaced.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
goin440
6th Gear
To replace the seals, I recall around $400.

The tranny, mine was $4600 (parts and labor, out of warranty). Although, my dealer extended a goodwill hand and I only paid the 6hrs labor after involving MINUSA.

I didn't buy the extended warranty, I thought mine ended at 50k. I don't recall the year limit. Also, you might do some research into your MINI's maintaince history. Genuine BMW parts service carry an unlimited mileage 2 yr warranty (which was one of my agruments with MINIUSA- why is the new car warranty limited, but the replacement part not? 2yrs for me was 75K when I lost the tranny). If you bought it used at a BMW dealer, they should have some sort of used car service certification.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 PM
5th Gear
$400 for seals.

Opening soon... 002's independent mini service.

Seriously, if you're talking about the differrential output seals that's nuts.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 AM
simpsoap
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BRGDragon
[FONT=Arial]Has anyone replaced the differential drive axle seals? Just wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at. Mine is leaking and I want to avoid catastrophic transmission failure.

I purchased my 2002 MC a few weeks ago and took it to the local dealer after I became concerned about a possible transmission problem. Midwestern Auto Group of Dublin, OH has a WELL EARNED reputation for being absolutely horrible to deal with. And they lived up to that reputation. They said I'd have to pay them to inspect the tranny. My car has 33K miles on it, but was 3 months out of warranty. Nevermind that BMW/MINI had to replace quite a few defective transmissions on this model year.

So... I took it to my local garage and sure enough, I have a leaking seal. (tranny/differential to the drive axle).

I contacted MINI and they said it was up to the "goodwill" of the dealer to fix it out of warranty. Midwestern Auto Group has no goodwill. They are a horrible representative for BMW/MINI.

MINI USA seems unwilling to intervene. Any suggestions? I feel very afraid I'm going to end up with one of the catastrophic clutch/transmission failures I keep reading about.

Also, MAG said there were no recalls on the car. I went to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin website and found a transmission recall on this vehicle. It's for the floor shift assembly - to install a clip to prevent the gear shift lever from disengaging from the linkage.

So, I plan to take it to MAG again and request that the clip be installed. Has anyone else had this done?

I'm starting to fear that I've made a mistake buying this car. I guess it's my own fault for getting the first year of a new vehicle. But, wow, I liked this one as soon as I saw it. And I still do. I want to keep it.

Am I making a mistake by trying to get this fixed and keep it? Or should I be selling it?!! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]What kind of price tag am I facing to have the tranny/diff/axle seals replaced?

Thanks for any opinions. I am really concerned about the drivetrain issues. I haven't had any real problems so far. It does seem to fight me when I try to downshift. But upshifts are smooth as silk.

Shannon
98 BMW Z3
02 MINI Cooper[/FONT]
I know it is probably a drive for you but I have spoke with someone at both Cincinnati MINI and Classic MINI and they have been great there. Maybe you should take the car there and see if they can help.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:03 AM
bluestone
3rd Gear
Whenever anybody asks, 'Am I headed for catastrophic drivetrain failure?' I always say, 'yes'.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Lorkin
2nd Gear
You might want to get in contact with Aaron from outmotoring.com. He is based out of New Albany (just east of columbus). He might know a local tech that is capable of doing to job. Mabye he will even know where to get the seals cheap. But, I agree with you that MAG is a bit lacking. I think it comes from he fact that BMW/MINI are their low price cars. Good luck and mabye we will see you at the quaker steak gathering.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 002
$400 for seals.
Seriously, if you're talking about the differrential output seals that's nuts.
I don't know what MINI charged. I thought I recalled a thread mentioning $400 (parts + labor). $200 was another number that came to mind, but when taking about MINI service...

Midlands Transmission Failures

Seems $200 for seals was discussed in thread #34.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:23 PM
BRGDragon
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone, and any other seals in tranny?

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a little better.
The local mechanic gave me an estimate of $350-400. He does good work.

He's going to replace the left and right seals where the drive axles exit the differential (the left one is currently leaking).

Are there other seals that I need to be concerned about? Or are these the notorious leaky ones?

Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM
BRGDragon
2nd Gear
How to check fluid level?

I don't have my Bentley manual yet! So, is there an easy way to monitor the transmission fluid level? Dipstick somewhere for that??

The mechanic is on vacation till next week and I'd like to keep an eye on it until he is able to fix the leak.

Shannon

Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
115hp
5th Gear
There is no dipstick. I don't think the oil level can be checked. It's a "lifetime" fluid. But yet there is a drain bolt and a place to fill it. I guess you just have to top it off.