Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need help with pinging? I may have found the answer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also use seafoam for my lawnmower. I have a 42'' deck mower, and it sits for about 4 months during the winter.

I'll throw a bottle in the 6 gallon gas tank, and she starts like day one!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
...And I'm sure that you're running an 02 sim because we're talking about a track car....... I'm really down on street cars with cats removed. But that's just me....
Matt
Matt: the Random Technologies cat does not come with a bung, so it can be installed between the Megan and the Milltek, protect the environment and yet I still need an o2 simulator to prevent the annoying yellow light from distracting me...
It's breaking a Federal law to tamper with any emission system on any car as you and I both know.

But I'm glad you point this out. Thanks for the other comments on my observations. What do you think about IK22s? I noticed you posted about IK24s -- are they even colder plugs?

cheers,

Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
This may act like water injection, that can burn off the carbon as well.

Don't know if it's true, but it sure sounds good!

Matt
I was wondering when you were going to get to this subject Matt I'd like to see inside my head sometime and see if the perported "steam clean" benifits have actually manifested itself since I've been running water/methanol injection for over a year now...

Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
From what Ive seen you do and write, MSFITOY, do you really want to see inside your head? I know mine is a really scary place...

cheers,

Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by gandini
From what Ive seen you do and write, MSFITOY, do you really want to see inside your head? I know mine is a really scary place...

cheers,
What do you mean Phil?

Seriously, anyone know where to get an inexpensive scope to look through the plug holes?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seafoam has been around since WWII, and our dad's probably used it. I used to work in a couple of NAPA stores, and the older guys would buy it by the case. The younger drivers couldn't get past it's "uncool" looking label. I've been using it since the 80's in all my cars, and it works like a charm!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Harbor freight

has a boroscope, but it's not cheap, just cheaper than others. You may want to see if a local shop has one you can use....

Matt

Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Harbor Freight has 20% off coupons quite often, and their B&M stores will match their own website's price if you bring in a printout. So if you wait until you see the boroscope on sale, then also apply a 20% discount, it may not be so bad.

As for the quality of the products Harbor Freight sells, that's another story...

Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here are a couple...

this one is on sale for $200... http://testproducts.com/safecart/pro...4d8057809814f8

Here are two more...
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...word=boroscope

Matt

Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Sounds like Dr O needs to do a write up !

Great post.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:14 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by VBG
Hmmm, cool. If he's been using it that long it should be pretty safe!

Thanks Matt and 002, this information is great...

002, if you consider it safe for your other MINI, it would be an interesting test if you red-lined it a few times to see if has the same effect of blowing the carbon out and stopping the pinging, like latte hiatus and I have experienced. This could be before before trying Sea Foam on it...

I just take it up to ~65 in 2nd gear, as fast as it will go there, have done it about a dozen times in the last week.

Best,

-- Don
I do think it is safe, I just haven't had time to do it in the second car yet. It has been around for a long time and I have never heard a complaint about it. It is not a new discovery, I just remembered how well it worked ten years ago on my old bmw's and though why not. As others have said, less ping after reving it up hard is most likely due to extra fuel and ignition retard. The ignition will be retarded back a few degrees until the ping stops. Data logging is the only way to know for sure.

There is one safety concern. Do not get crazy and dump a whole bottle into the manifold and hydro lock your motor. Do a search, there are many sea foam styles.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Johan
5th Gear
To get the stuff into the intake, I used a needle for inflating sports *****, a 1/4" plastic tube, and one of the intercooler boots I use for temp testing.....
Just to clear something up, You injected this after the SC and IC right --Johan

Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep.

I didn't know how it would deal with the other parts of the intake track. The stuff is real thin, so before the IC it would probably clean it too!

I had the extra boots lying around from my IC testing, and the light just went off. I was thinking of putting a T in some of the after TB vacuum lines, but the needle just worked out real well. And I didn't have to go to a hardware store to get any fitting!

The other thing that surprised me was how fast the engine would suck the stuff up with just that tiny little needle! I had to squeeze the hose to keep the injestion rate down.....

Matt

Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
geowit
3rd Gear
The Seafoam is also popular with the Rotary crowd. It seems to keep the apex seals in good shape.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Promised Photo

Pretty simple rig, really. Replace the exit IC boot with this, and suck the stuff up! I just saw how much hose I needed in the can to get half of it, stuck it in the can, and pinched the tube so that it didn't get sucked up too fast. Also, the car will want to die (Big surprise there) so you'll have to get a partner to help.....

Matt

Old 07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
Still can hear no pinging after the high rev stuff...

But as you've mentioned, my ECU is probably still compensating for it. I'd like to have some of that power back...

With the continued heat and all, I'm a little more paranoid about pinging, I've just arranged to get a bunch of cans of Sea Foam from Napa, I'll add the perscribed amount to my fuel today and then go into the maintenance mode with it... May as well get everything cleaned up.

But I'm not very confident about pumping this stuff through my intake, at <10K miles do you think it really needs that yet?

If so, it would really help to have some pics of the place to pump it in and the process to do this; I'd rather not run too much Sea Foam or put it into someplace stupid and get hydrolocked or something... Anyone have pics of this yet?

I'll get a funnel, too.

Just a simple minded thought, could it be soaked into the Alta CAI filter foam and absorbed that way without hurting anything?

Thanks again for the Sea Foam recommendation, guys!

Best,

-- Don

Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hi Don,

I don't think I'd put it on the filter. The idea is to get enough in there to wet everything, turn off the car for a bit, and then burn the stuff out after it's done it's magic...

The place I put it in was through the exit (smaller) boot from the IC. See the post two above. There are other places, but this one was easy, I didn't need anything I didn't already have, and it gets to all the cylinders.

At 10k, you probably don't have tons of carbon, so you may be good with a can every 3000 miles or so.

I haven't added mine to the gas tank because I don't have a good funnel to put it in..... Oh well.

Matt

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
I don't think I'd put it on the filter. The idea is to get enough in there to wet everything, turn off the car for a bit, and then burn the stuff out after it's done it's magic...

The place I put it in was through the exit (smaller) boot from the IC. See the post two above. There are other places, but this one was easy, I didn't need anything I didn't already have, and it gets to all the cylinders.

At 10k, you probably don't have tons of carbon, so you may be good with a can every 3000 miles or so.

I haven't added mine to the gas tank because I don't have a good funnel to put it in..... Oh well.

Matt
Ok, thanks, Matt.

I just got 6 bottles and a funnel. I'll stick one in the tank now and drive it around a bit to work it in.

Not having an IC boot or the experience to know where else to inject this, I'll probably hold on the intake path for a while until it is convincing that I need more than just through the gas. Since the gas also goes through the injectors it should work that way, too, I'm guessing.

I'll report in later today...

Thanks again!

Best,

-- Don

Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The boot is cheep

it's about $10.... But the stuff through the tank is a slow method, don't expect miracles right away...

Matt

Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I guess with the DFIC this part would be easier due to the bungs? If so, I'll wait until I get it...

Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Depends on what you have lying around..

THat will be a pretty big hole. Nice thing about the ball needle is that not too much air goes through it, so the car will idle fine.....

Matt

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
Ok, I poured a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank, drove it around moderately hard for a bit at 104(f)... Let it rest and "cool down" as much as possible...

Just drove around again this evening, temp is down to 86(f) now. Absolutely no pinging and better throttle response, but the ambient temp probably makes a huge difference...

I'll watch it over the next few days. As you suggested, Matt, the Sea Foam will probably take some time to do its work through the gas tank.

I'll report back about it...

Grrrr, extremely hot weather sure takes a lot of the fun out of our little beasties... This afternoon's 104(f) drive was the pits. This evening at 86(f), mmm, much better, nice sunset, very pleasant. I think I'll become nocturnal.

Best,

-- Don

Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VBG
...Grrrr, extremely hot weather sure takes a lot of the fun out of our little beasties... This afternoon's 104(f) drive was the pits. This evening at 86(f), mmm, much better, nice sunset, very pleasant. I think I'll become nocturnal. [Emphasis added.]
Welcome to life in the desert (at least the nocturnal part of it...).

Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
Cooler temps...

Well, the pinging situation continues to be good, although we only had a high of 96(f) today so some of the testing conditions weren't duplicated...

I drove around this afternoon at 96(f), absolutely no pinging. Throttle was noticably more responsive too, but again, temps are different, so I had halfway expected that.

I suspect the cooling trend will significantly reduce the complaints about pinging.

I haven't noticed any short-term problems with Sea Foam in the gas tank, of course the MINI already backfires so that won't help, but no negatives observable in just driving so far.

I'll be out again tonight for a couple of good drives, it'll probably be below 90(f) on the first leg, then at night, maybe below 85(f) on the way back, I'll be listening again and testing throttle, will report back, news at 11.

Best,

-- Don

Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
VBG
3rd Gear
Another couple of good runs tonight...

Temps low, about 86 going, about 75 coming back.

I was able to force a little pinging going. Coming back, none.

Best,

-- Don

Quick Reply: Need help with pinging? I may have found the answer!