Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 AM
blue agave
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I heard rom the body shop that fixed my car that BMW/MINI is "all upset and considering a recall" if you want to see a fix from BMW/MINI keep letting them know how you feel ...... this is obviously a design/production/materials flaw over and above normal wear and tear for a modern car......
This creates an interesting set of issues. If BMW wants to be hard assed after issuing a recall it could exclude those of us who monkeyed around with a home repair. If they want to be nice, no problem. Then again, there could be the mfgr/customer "discussion" of whether the self help fix altered the situation enough to releive BMW of responsibility. Just speculating, but I think if this is coming to a head, I'm going to leave my rust alone for a while.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard rom the body shop that fixed my car that BMW/MINI is "all upset and considering a recall" if you want to see a fix from BMW/MINI keep letting them know how you feel ...... this is obviously a design/production/materials flaw over and above normal wear and tear for a modern car......
The MA that I sent the pictures, along with a link to this thread, called to inform me about the MINI field manager's schedule. Apparently he said in his e-mail that a fix is being developed for the rust problem by MINI at the moment, and he cant do anything until that is finalized.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
Checked my car, March 04 build. The sill is all painted and no rust. Checked another MINI, August 03 build, not all painted and some rust. Both cars in Oregon.
West or east of the Cascades? Big difference.... Jimbo

Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
A little more Community service

My rust was fixed by Magnum Collision in Marietta GA. The owner "Mike" took care of me personally......he was incredibly courteous and professional.... they actually had to so some spot welding..... when he put the weather stripping on he took it off again and found rust..... inside the WS was a coat of rust that had accumulated there and got back on the job he had just finished...... he had to do the job over and carefully cleaned out the WS..... if you are doing this on your own or when you go to the body shop tell them this story...... Magnum does ALL the body/paint work for Global and the top which was resprayed because I took the factory roof rack out looks fantastic......

Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A little more Community service

My rust was fixed by Magnum Collision in Marietta GA. The owner "Mike" took care of me personally......he was incredibly courteous and professional.... they actually had to so some spot welding..... when he put the weather stripping on he took it off again and found rust..... inside the WS was a coat of rust that had accumulated there and got back on the job he had just finished...... he had to do the job over and carefully cleaned out the WS..... if you are doing this on your own or when you go to the body shop tell them this story...... Magnum does ALL the body/paint work for Global and the top which was resprayed because I took the factory roof rack out looks fantastic......
Was this all done at your expense? Or did MINI pay for this?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I checked with a friends 03 MCS and he has the same kind of "holes" in the weatherstripping. Looks like this maybe where the water is getting into the core of the rubber.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Was this all done at your expense? Or did MINI pay for this?
My situation was a bit unusual due to an issue not related to the rust problem.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
West or east of the Cascades? Big difference.... Jimbo
Both are west of the Cascades.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
That actually looks really neat!

Yeah, on the Antiques Road Show its called patina, and it's worth alot of extra money.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Finally got around to checking:
2 years in Dallas and 2 years in DC. NONE!!

Perhaps the only fequently documented problem that SPUD hasn't suffered from.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
cupoftea
2nd Gear
Just bring my car in for service, and have them to check under the door sill for me, they said they did find rust, and they ask me to arrange a RTM to inspect it if i go to service next time. Who is a RTM?
thanks

Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cupoftea
Just bring my car in for service, and have them to check under the door sill for me, they said they did find rust, and they ask me to arrange a RTM to inspect it if i go to service next time. Who is a RTM?
thanks
How about a Regional Technical Manager? They have different titles, but basicially it is the representative from the factory that has to authorize the repair.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:37 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Ouch, I just checked my 03 Cooper S and have rust on both sides. I shook the weather striping and water went everywhere. Ive had my MINI for 3 years, not a door ding in it, but its rusting...

Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
SSMini
4th Gear
This is driving me crazy.:impatient I can't stand knowing that my MINI has cancer. I want to get in there and remove what I can to stop it, but then again don't want to mess with it till we get the final word from Mini. Any more info on the status of this problem? Anybody from the Tampa Bay area hear from Fermann MINI?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SSMini
This is driving me crazy.:impatient I can't stand knowing that my MINI has cancer. I want to get in there and remove what I can to stop it, but then again don't want to mess with it till we get the final word from Mini. Any more info on the status of this problem? Anybody from the Tampa Bay area hear from Fermann MINI?
You have to keep on your dealer........squeeky wheel...show him this thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:10 PM
volki
3rd Gear
I was at the dealership today to meet the regional manager for my clutch problem. During this visit, I also showed him the door sills of my 03 MCS. He actually received the pictures about a month ago via e-mail that I sent to the service adviser

He examined the door sills, told me that it is mainly surface rust, and I can get it fixed in the body shop today if I wanted to (or wait until the official notice is released related to this problem). He also mentioned that after receiving my e-mail, which contained links to all MINI forums outlining this problem, he checked about 50 MINIs and most of 05s were OK, but 02, 03 and 04s had rust in the door sill area. He assured me that there will be a checklist for the dealers to determine the severity of the rusting once customers bring their cars with the rust problem, and to apply appropriate solutions for each level accordingly. Who knows.... based on this information, an official response might be in soon. Regardless, I may get them to fix both sides when I take the car in for the clutch diagnosis. He suggested me to keep in touch with the dealership and see if they receive any insturctions from the regional managers.

This is the latest so far...

Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Thanks for the news. It does sound promising.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by volki
I was at the dealership today to meet the regional manager for my clutch problem. During this visit, I also showed him the door sills of my 03 MCS. He actually received the pictures about a month ago via e-mail that I sent to the service adviser

He examined the door sills, told me that it is mainly surface rust, and I can get it fixed in the body shop today if I wanted to (or wait until the official notice is released related to this problem). He also mentioned that after receiving my e-mail, which contained links to all MINI forums outlining this problem, he checked about 50 MINIs and most of 05s were OK, but 02, 03 and 04s had rust in the door sill area. He assured me that there will be a checklist for the dealers to determine the severity of the rusting once customers bring their cars with the rust problem, and to apply appropriate solutions for each level accordingly. Who knows.... based on this information, an official response might be in soon. Regardless, I may get them to fix both sides when I take the car in for the clutch diagnosis. He suggested me to keep in touch with the dealership and see if they receive any insturctions from the regional managers.

This is the latest so far...
Very nice.....as the person who started this thread I feel resposible to see it come to a favorable outcome for those that have the problem......keep calling and bugging them other wise it will go away.....get your car fixed if they offer without waiting for a MINI resolution... this may be a case by case position they are taking.....make sure you are one of the cases

Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
I called my MINI dealer today. I was told that this is the first time he has heard of the problem. (Yea, right ) I was then told that the warranty covers the outside and not anywhere on the inside. Then he said they dont cover flood damage....Who said anything about flood damage? I have a bad feeling about this and I will be doing my own repairs on the MINI. He is going to look at it, but he already said he will not do anything unless MINI gets involved, by that time the poor MINI may be a rust bucket.. I only put 7000 miles a year on the MINI, It does not get driven in the rain and its rusting away. Mine is not surface rust. Its done blistered the paint and have marble size rust spots

Old 06-29-2006, 01:48 PM
volki
3rd Gear
SSmini,
I think you should get the Regional Service Manager involved with this case. Dont just deal with the service dept...
Good luck!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Just received a call from the service dept. He called MiniUSA or somebody and he said that he rather have the Regional Service Manager look at it instead. I was told that the Regional Service Manager will be in this area in about a month or less. I guess thats kinda going in the right direction. Out of all the cars I ever owned, MINI has been the hardest to deal with. EVERYTHING that was said that would be done when I bought the car all the sudden changed. If I went by the service of dealers when buying a car, I would NEVER buy another MINI. I Love the MINI, Dont like the service.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SSMini
Just received a call from the service dept. He called MiniUSA or somebody and he said that he rather have the Regional Service Manager look at it instead. I was told that the Regional Service Manager will be in this area in about a month I guess thats kinda going in the right direction. Out of all the cars I ever owned, MINI has been the hardest to deal with. EVERYTHING that was said that would be done when I bought the car all the sudden changed. If I went by the service of dealers when buying a car, I would NEVER buy another MINI. I Love the MINI, Dont like the service.
I had very good luck with the service dept at Global but there was a lot they did not have knowledge of...... the willingness was there but solving esoteric problems was....a problem...... Your service dept is giving you alot of BS..... I guarantee that Mini USA knows about the problem..... ask for the phone number and email address of the RSM and write him/call him...forwad this thread.... a month is rediculous ...how big is his territory....has anyone else gotten satisfaction?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Still in a holding pattern

Add me to the list of those waiting for an RSM to check out the rust on my '02 MINI. He did check out pictures I emailed to the service department but was told he needs to see it in person. My MINI dealer is an hour's drive, and they've been nice enough to have my MINI checked out at a BMW dealer 10 minutes away. It sounds like they're on the right track, but nothing has actually happened to correct THE RUST ON MY MINI

Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Tit
5th Gear
I suppose it's not very applicable for you guys....but I'll tell you anyway... (:P)

My dealer here in Adelaide said he hadn't seen it before, but said it wasn't good to see. They got on it right away - shaving away the tiny areas that had the rust on there, repainted it, and treated the area with some form of wax...

No arguments - it was arranged straight away for me....

Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
I hope they can figure out WHY its rusting or should I say whats causing the water to stay in that area to cause it to rust. I dont think just fixing it will stop it. The rusted areas on my car are painted, so removing the rust and repainted the area may not fix the problem. I feel that the rubber trim is causing water to stay in that area. I new and improved rubber trim my be needed to fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs