North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/69139-rust-door-sill-area-of-02-05-minis.html)

SpiderX 05-20-2006 03:13 AM

Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs

community service...... while chasing down some wiring issues we took the rubber strip that runs along the length of the passenger door and there it was.....rust..... the rust was about an inch long and pretty well started....we took a steelbrush and painted the bare metal with rust prevention paint so problem solved but we were both surprised......if you have an older car you might look.... my car lives in Atlanta....very little to no salt

CooperGear 05-20-2006 06:48 AM

You know that rust on the body is covered past the standard warranty. At least my '05 has unlimited milage for rust. You may look into this.

snoopy 05-20-2006 07:12 AM

Yep got it in the same spot.... did the rusty area look untreated/painted compaired to the other parts along the sill?

DownSize 05-20-2006 07:16 AM

my knees are starting to shake:lol: i hope I can catch it before it's too late, if I ever find any

UN4G1VN 05-20-2006 09:29 AM

What year??

Originally Posted by snoopy
Yep got it in the same spot.... did the rusty area look untreated/painted compaired to the other parts along the sill?

What year is your Mini?

qwertmonkey 05-20-2006 09:52 AM

I though that there was a rust coverage warranty or something. Like way past the drive terrain warranty. Anybody feel the same way?

SpiderX 05-20-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by qwertmoneky
I though that there was a rust coverage warranty or something. Like way past the drive terrain warranty. Anybody feel the same way?

It's fixed now... but I will keep an eye on it...mine is an 02

pooch1 05-20-2006 12:17 PM

Warranty is for perforation which means a hole.Also the Mini warranty specifies it has to have the underbody inspected by the dealerl and a yearly underbody flush.Most new car rust warrantys are like this including some large name aftermarket warrantys.The overriding common thought is that through yearly inspection they can catch a problem before it gets to a warranty claim.The only problem is the customer is paying for this during the service of vehicle.This is how I see it with most warrantys.

snoopy 05-21-2006 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by UN4G1VN
What year is your Mini?

It is a 02. Here is a photo, and what is a bit of a worry is that we have not had rain for weeks (live in a hot dry place) but i wash the car about 3 days ago and it was still real wet under the trim rubber.:eek2: also you can see the untreated area were the rust is at its worst.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ze=big&cat=500

SpiderX 05-21-2006 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by snoopy
It is a 02. Here is a photo, and what is a bit of a worry is that we have not had rain for weeks (live in a hot dry place) but i wash the car about 3 days ago and it was still real wet under the trim rubber.:eek2: also you can see the untreated area were the rust is at its worst.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ze=big&cat=500

same spot on mine........I need to keep a camera in my car

acitydweller 05-21-2006 03:05 PM

this is certainly not good news..

SpiderX 05-21-2006 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by acitydweller
this is certainly not good news..

nope:sly:

kapps 05-21-2006 03:52 PM

Yikes! I need to check mine out too. What kind of rust preventative paint do you recommend?

bodinski 05-21-2006 03:58 PM

Dang! I haven't been around in a while. First thread I pull up is this one. Go outside & have a look, & sure enough, I've got rust under the seal on both sides! FWIW, the car is an 11/02 build 03.
I'm gonna sand & paint, then find some butyl or silicone & seal the area to keep water out..

SpiderX 05-21-2006 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bodinski
Dang! I haven't been around in a while. First thread I pull up is this one. Go outside & have a look, & sure enough, I've got rust under the seal on both sides! FWIW, the car is an 11/02 build 03.
I'm gonna sand & paint, then find some butyl or silicone & seal the area to keep water out..

I have not checked the other side yet but my car will be in the shop this week for other nonsense:mad: I'll check it then:roll:

okraD La 05-22-2006 05:05 AM

I've got it too.....

1 Attachment(s)
:sad:
Mine is an 2002 MCS 08/02 build....Pulled up the rubber seals and voila. the rust runs down the entire length of the door, check it out...Mine is a Drk Silver too..
I've got rust too....What is the best way to repair gang, help me out I'm dying over here...
Attachment 164619.

SpiderX 05-22-2006 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by okraD La
:sad:
Mine is an 2002 MCS 08/02 build....Pulled up the rubber seals and voila. the rust runs down the entire length of the door, check it out...Mine is a Drk Silver too..
I've got rust too....What is the best way to repair gang, help me out I'm dying over here...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...9/ATT10047.jpg.

that very much resembles my rust.......WTF.......Mini USA needs to hear about this.......whose got a pitch fork and torch:mad: storm the castle...I'm really not trying to be funny..... I spent a lot of $ on my car thinking that this was the least of my worries

okraD La 05-22-2006 05:37 AM

I am going to write to MINI USA and see what happens..Diplomacy always works best.
I'll keep you posted..

fj0 05-22-2006 06:07 AM

Whoa. :eek2:

findude 05-22-2006 09:20 AM

Should we be waxing this area? Our MCS is a 2006, but I don't mind getting on my knees and waxing this to be proactive if it well help. Would it be worth it?

chrisneal 05-22-2006 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bodinski

My car is only a year old, so I doubt I have the rust yet, but I'd like to take care of this before it starts. Can someone explain what types of products to use? Are you planning on sealing the edges of the rubber strip to the metal/paint?

Thanks for the public service announcement!

okraD La 05-22-2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by chrisneal
My car is only a year old, so I doubt I have the rust yet, but I'd like to take care of this before it starts. Can someone explain what types of products to use? Are you planning on sealing the edges of the rubber strip to the metal/paint?

Thanks for the public service announcement!

I don't know what to do to fix..any suggestions...anyone?

chrisneal 05-22-2006 01:05 PM

I think we need the classic Mini crowd to chime in here! :lol: :roll:

Greatbear 05-22-2006 01:08 PM

This might be related somehow. When I took my car in for little warranty issues, one of my complaints was the door sill trim insert (the silver MINI COOPER S) had become frosty/corroded around the edges and the plastic film had begun peeling off. the dealer replaced this and blamed it on the lower door weatherseal (not the soft rubber sealing the interior, rather the 'sweep strip' mounted under the door itself) and supposedly 'adjusted' this piece. I noticed there was less built up water in the area afterwards, but now the passenger's side sill trim is doing the same thing.

I guess I will check out what lies beneath the weatherstrip on my car when I get a chance (10/02 build).

rough68fish 05-22-2006 01:12 PM

the best stuff to address rust that I know of

http://www.por15.com/

Never restored any Mini's but used this stuff on my plymouth and dad's olds and I swear by it now.