Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

S/C pulley tool, crank pulley tool & belt tension tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
IsItElectric?
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C pulley tool, crank pulley tool & belt tension tool

Pulley:

I need to remove my currently installed 15% pulley and put the stocker back on. I'm figuring the Alta will come off w/o too much effort, but I'll bake the stock unit up to 500F in the oven to get it on. Will I need a special tool for this instlalation of S/C pulley?

Belt tension tool:

From the how-to's I've read, I need a tool to remove tension from the belt. Where can I get one of these inexpensively?

Thanks,

Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
depending on your definition of "inexpensive" you can find a tension tool here
http://new.minimania.com/web/AddedFr.../InvDetail.cfm I've also seen a really long screw driver/pry bar used to relieve the tension, but I wouldn't recommend going that route.

Try to contact a pulley supplier if you haven't bought the pulley yet. Some places will loan you the tool for free.

Originally Posted by IsItElectric?
Pulley:

I need to remove my currently installed 15% pulley and put the stocker back on. I'm figuring the Alta will come off w/o too much effort, but I'll bake the stock unit up to 500F in the oven to get it on. Will I need a special tool for this instlalation of S/C pulley?

Belt tension tool:

From the how-to's I've read, I need a tool to remove tension from the belt. Where can I get one of these inexpensively?

Thanks,

Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by IsItElectric?
Pulley:

Belt tension tool:

Thanks,
There is a pretty easy "how to make one" in the Haynes repair manual. Sorry I don't have a scanner to show you the blueprint. Steve

Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
minimotoman
2nd Gear
tension tool

I went to the hardware store and got a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 angle iron(it comes pre cut in 3 foot sections)drilled a hole and put a bolt in it that fit the hole on the tensioner. I pivoted the tool on the front tension bolt after I backed it out far enough to be pivoted on.

Cost $3 ,,,plus shipping and hanling, process fee, admin fee, dealer fee, convienence fee, ingenuitive fee, NAM post fee, and misc. fee... and reserve fee......and tax...................

Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
06_SuprCooper
2nd Gear
how hard is it to take off the stock pulley? i'm about to put an alta 15% pulley on mine is a couple weeks. do you really need the tools they try to sell or can you get away with just a regular pulley removal tool? (one with three 'hooks' and a screw running through the middle)

Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
The cheapest I have found the OEM tool is from Helix for $59.95

You may want to double check the welds on the OEM tool before using it. On the fourth pull on mine, the welds snapped, leaving me with a MINI missing its serpentine belt! I managed to get it back on through the use of two crow bars, but it was not fun. Good news is Helix replaced the failed unit without question, strengthened the welds on the new unit, and paid return shipping.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Anyone have a how-to with pics on belt replacement ?

Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you located ???
I would be happy to loan you my adjuster tool.
I remember seeing somewhere a STD size pulley that attaches like the small ones, or are you trying to hide the change for some reasion.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:56 AM
IsItElectric?
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimotoman
I went to the hardware store and got a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 angle iron(it comes pre cut in 3 foot sections)drilled a hole and put a bolt in it that fit the hole on the tensioner. I pivoted the tool on the front tension bolt after I backed it out far enough to be pivoted on.

Cost $3 ,,,plus shipping and hanling, process fee, admin fee, dealer fee, convienence fee, ingenuitive fee, NAM post fee, and misc. fee... and reserve fee......and tax...................
Ya know....sometimes I gotta step back and look at the forest...

That is ridiculously easy, cheap, it will work....and why the hell didn't I think of it myself? Now I'm just pissed. And its not like I'm an mechanical project engineer working in an industrial production facility with access to a world of bolts, angle, contractors, welders, grinders, etc. It's not like I've created tools out of orange-juice container caps before. Or, in my defense it could be because I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep per night. Ah anyway...

Great idea, minimotoman! Thanks for sheddling light onto this one. Now to cancel my order for the $70 piece of steel I just ordered.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:01 AM
muggy
4th Gear
bpago, can i use ur tensioner tool too?

i'm taking my delivery for my MCS now, so it might be a few months, lol

Old 03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 06_SuprCooper
how hard is it to take off the stock pulley? i'm about to put an alta 15% pulley on mine is a couple weeks. do you really need the tools they try to sell or can you get away with just a regular pulley removal tool? (one with three 'hooks' and a screw running through the middle)
You need the special tool to remove the stock pulley. It's a press fit and will just bend if you try to juse a standard pulley puller. Plus, there wouldn't be enough room to get one in there anyway.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:43 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muggy
bpago, can i use ur tensioner tool too?

i'm taking my delivery for my MCS now, so it might be a few months, lol
Where are you located ?
I am in Nor Cal.
Have both the tensioner tool and pulley removal tool.

PM me if you like

Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SumWon
The cheapest I have found the OEM tool is from Helix for $59.95

You may want to double check the welds on the OEM tool before using it. On the fourth pull on mine, the welds snapped, leaving me with a MINI missing its serpentine belt! I managed to get it back on through the use of two crow bars, but it was not fun. Good news is Helix replaced the failed unit without question, strengthened the welds on the new unit, and paid return shipping.
That happened to me too. I was going to make one myself and thought, oh I'll just make it easy on myself and buy it. well they forgot some welds and I almost took my head off with it. I ended up having to weld tha dang thing anyway

Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 AM
06_SuprCooper
2nd Gear
Thanks CoryB